Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I second Mattituck as a decent stopover/harbor of refuge. Yes, the entrance can be a bit tricky but if you post a lookout on the bow you should be able to see where the deeper channel is. Not sure what your draft is as it can be a bit shallow.
Going the other way we stopped in at Mattituck coming from 3 Mi. Harbor. Free town dock to tie up to but it is all the way in near the town. The next day we made it to Huntington even with stopping in Port Jeff. for refueling. We probably could have made it to Glen Cove but Huntington was the plan and Glen Cove the next day on a leisurely schedule.
One advantage of using Mattituck is you are only an hour or two from "the Gut" so it should be easier to catch the tide going your way.
I hope you have wind but plan on motoring a lot of the way. It is either blowing stink (seen 40 - 50 knots off Port Jeff in Bene505's boat) or the 'Dead Sea' (not enough wind to fight the tide when on my boat). Depends a bit on the seasons and spring can bring fog.
It is a fun trip. Just be prepared and enjoy it.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 02-24-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: more
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Marina Info.

Hello,

In the summer of 2007 I did a Mt. Sinai to Montauk trip. I timed the tides right and did 54 miles in 8 hours, for an average of about 7 kts. There was very little wind so I motorsailed most of the trip. In my boat ('day 35) I can motor at 6-6.5 kts all day long.

So going from Mt. Sinai to Shelter Island would be about the same distance. It would be a long day, but definitely doable.

It's shorter from Glen Cove to Mt. Sinai, so you could go to Mattituck, but at Mattituck you will have a long trip up the river to the harbor. Mattituck gets very shallow and if you use the tides correctly, you will arrive at Mattituck at low tide. I was there in 2006 and saw 3.5' on the depth finder in the middle of the channel. Fortunately, my boat draws 4' and the transducer is 2' below the water. If you have a deep draft boat I would skip Mattituck.

If you are just looking for a place to spend the night, Mt. Sinai Harbor would be a good choice. It's easy to get in and out of, and it's a very short trip from the Sound to the harbor (about 5 minutes). The downside is there is almost nothing there. Ralph's Fishing is there if you want some quick food and simple heads, but that's it. If you need provisions (I don't know why you would on a 2 day trip, but who knows) then consider Port Jeff or maybe Milford on the CT side. The downside for those is a much longer trip (20-30 minutes) into and out of the harbor. If you want to anchor then maybe going to Milford would be your best choice. It's about the same distance as the Long Island side marinas.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2010

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Barryl, Good point about the draft for mattituct. I just checked and a Sabre 28 has a 4'8" draft. With a waterline of only 23' he's looking at hull speed of 6.5 knots I doubt that he would want to run WOT all day so I still think an average speed of 5 knots workable for planning.
I'm a gluten for sailboat punishment so I would run the entire trip in 1 day. I plugged in the route from Glen Cove breakwater to Dering Harbor on SI. I used 5 knots as my speed I set the date as Sat. May 8 to factor in the proper tide and currents.( On May 8th Slack at the gut is 7pm ) Leaving at 5 am I arrive at dering at 9pm
In May most boats will still be on the hard so dropping a hook in dering will be easy. Anyway, thats what I would do.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 02-27-2010

nk235 is on a distinguished road
PK5352 - Welcome aboard SN. I think you will have a great trip. When you get closer to the departure date chime back up or send me a PM - I keep my boat on a mooring in Mt. Sinai harbor. In the beginning of the season (April and May) I do many weekend trips all over the sound with my own boat so there could be a good chance that my mooring will be free.

If that is the case you can stay on it overnight if you choose Mt. Sinai as your end of Day 1 destination.

-Nick
Old 02-27-2010

pk5352 is on a distinguished road
Thank you Nick, thats a very kind offer. Will keep you posted...