Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Sailing Saturday?

I'm off (work), forecast high 40s, nw 15. I've got a couple of other fanatics lined up. Anyone want to meet us and sail from Mt Sinai for a couple of hours? Dress warm.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2010

Went out for a couple of hours with Bene. Nice guy. We had a great sail.
Old 03-06-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Good for you guys,
3 weeks to launch for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
WanderingStar answered my urgent plea for some winter sailing. I guess he could hear the cries of sailing withdrawal from a few dozen miles away. Anyway he answered the call wonderfully.

Here's a shot of the proud owner of a fine wooden boat.

And a shot of him on the bowsprit.

For me, it was one of the first times sailing with a bowsprit, so I made the most of it.

And this one (to prove I really was there)

She has a unique (to me) steering quadrant, made up of some interesting gears. I wish I had a picture of it to show you. Anyway, the steering, combined with a full keel and balanced sails, make for some very steady steering. You could let go and stay on course for a long time.

Not working so hard at the helm

More pictures coming later today.

Cheers!

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 03-08-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

Good for you. The weather was nice and I'm sorry I missed it.

Barry

Old 03-08-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Great fun. I am envious. We put our sails back on on Saturday. Havent yet dewinterized the engine or the water systems. That will be 2 more weeks. Still 2 feet of snow in my back yard from snowpocolypse.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-08-2010

Wow, great pictures! Makes me feel as if I were there...
Thanks for your company Brad! (He brought cookies too!)
Old 03-08-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Now that I have some time to post more pictures...

Here's a shot of the furled stay sail. What can I say, when you don't have one, you take pictures of them like your some tourist visiting from out of town, which I guess I was.

Speaking of acting like a tourist, I took a video from the bowsprit. I thought the camera was off, when it was on, so if you watch the movie you get to see me say the same thing twice. It was actually a tough movie to take, because I didn't have a lanyard on the camera and, well, you really have to hold on when you're out there.

See the video here (16 Megabytes).

Don't you just love seeing the bow from that angle when underway?

Here's a shot of WanderingStar's oil lamp. The name escapes me right now. It has a mantle like an old Coleman camping stove, but it is not pressurized. John gave me full demo of how to use it. (The secret is that once you set it for the right amount of light, you leave it as-is and blow it out to turn it off.) Even in daylight I could tell this lamp would really light up a salon at night.

We saw a total of 4 boats out that day. 2 were the Port Jeff ferries, 1 was a fishing boat, and then there was this guy. He took our picture so I had to take his. That's right, on some online kayaking forum right now, there's a beautiful picture of WanderingStar.

Turns out that I left my Driod (cell phone) by the helm, so I had to go back and get it. (Didn't think you'd mind my getting it, John.) The sun was setting and it was a good opportunity to take some pictures of WanderStar's wooden sailboat neighbors.

Sunset (in the trees)

Sunset looking east

Here's a shot of the gaff-rigged schooner that is docked right next to WanderingStar. A nice guy named Bill built it himself. ( I got to meet Bill and his wife.) Note the clean, crisp cockpit layout. John showed me how the hull was made (with layers of wood at 60 degree angles like plywood, epoxied together), and compared it with his (which is a style that requires thicker beams). Not sure I can explain that part very well.

And her rigging

And her windlass. It a very shiny Lofrans windlass similar to the one I have disassembled at home right now. This one is a lot shinier than mine, and it has some sort of cap over the hawspipe. (I think that's what you call it.) I guess I have to make on of those caps, so my chain isn't out in the elements all winter. See how much work you get when just taking a simple picture?

And the wooden sailboat next to Bill's. It's "Wooden Boat Row" there. As you can see from this picture, all three of them are lined up.

Thanks John for a great sail. More so because it was off-season.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 03-08-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2010
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the pics and it was very brave of you to take that video up on the bowsprit.

Something about wooden boats...gotta love em.