Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I plan to visit Block in July, but just when depends on Jane's schedule. I'll let you know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjyr View Post
BarryL,

Sounds interesting. I sail a Pearson 26 out of Huntington. Have day sailed her for years and would love to "cruise" her just once. I have my reservations because she is old and slow
Do it! I cruised my Pearson 26 from Western LI Sound to points east for 10 years in the 1980s. Longest cruise was 3+ weeks hitting Newport, Block Island and Marthas Vineyard.
Old 05-20-2010
C27 LI

mlong9876 is on a distinguished road
First time to Block 6-10 to 6-15

Hi All,

This is my first time posting here. I'm looking for suggestions on what to bring (cruising guides, etc) and where to stay for a fairly short trip from Sea Cliff to Block. We're tentatively scheduled to leave on June 10th and return on the 15th.

I've wanted to make the trip for a few years now but never got around to it. The more info I get, the better. I'll have my laptop tethered to my Blackberry for an internet connection so good websites would be very helpful too.

Thanks in advance. Michael
Old 05-20-2010

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Michael,

Block is a great - you will have a real fun time. There is nothing extremely crucial that you need other than an Eldridge Tide and pilot guide for LI Sound as well as good charts of the Sound out to Block Island. There is a good chart book I think from Map Tech that has the entire Sound including Block and I think up to Newport that is pretty affordable. The Eldridge will show you the tides and currents in the Sound and out through the Race. You will want to look at this so you time the currents right going out through the eastern end of the sound. They can get up to 4-5knts sometimes near the race and plum gut so you want to make sure you have them going with you and not against you.

Also not sure how familiar you are with the harbors and ports east of Sea Cliff but making the trip to Block Island in one straight shot is a bit of an undertaking so its best to enjoy it and break it into a few overnight stops in the Sound. That way also you can time your departures and arrivals for the day so you make the most out of the ebbing tide giving you a knot or more of extra speed and you won't be fighting it as if you made the trip in one shot.

Lastly when you get to the great salt pond in block you have your choice of staying at one of the three marinas, finding a mooring or staying on anchor. It's a pretty small island so its pretty easy to find numbers for the marinas and restaurants in the area. Also there are numerous books and online guides to read as well as tons of posts here on Sailnet about past trips there. If you do a search you can probably find tons of info. Let us know how it goes. I went for the first time 4 years ago and have been going ever since. I absolutely love it there.

Good luck!

-Nick
Old 05-21-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong9876 View Post
Hi All,

This is my first time posting here. I'm looking for suggestions on what to bring (cruising guides, etc) and where to stay for a fairly short trip from Sea Cliff to Block. We're tentatively scheduled to leave on June 10th and return on the 15th.

I've wanted to make the trip for a few years now but never got around to it. The more info I get, the better. I'll have my laptop tethered to my Blackberry for an internet connection so good websites would be very helpful too.

Thanks in advance. Michael
Michael,

We are on the hard in Sea Cliff too, at Brewers. (Ours is the Beneteau 50 right next to the flag pole in back.)

That might be the same date that we sail to Montauk. (The blessing of the fleet there is 6/13 if I remember correctly.) We should keep in touch. I have a ton of projects left to do, so the exact date is a bit uncertain still.

Block is fun. The anchorage can be a bit deep (50') but there are places to anchor that are more like 30', if it's not too crowded. I've seen an anchor slip a boat into another boat, so the holding is something to keep an eye on. Set your anchor and test it a bit with your engine in reverse. At least that's what I do.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 05-21-2010

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Barry -- Not sure of my schedule yet for this season, but I will keep your trip in mind.
Brad -- When do you get to Montauk? I missed you last year, will make sure I get to see you this year.
Old 05-21-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
Barry -- Not sure of my schedule yet for this season, but I will keep your trip in mind.
Brad -- When do you get to Montauk? I missed you last year, will make sure I get to see you this year.

I'm targeting the Blessing of the Fleet on June 13th at 5:00 PM. It's a fun time with squirt-gun battles. (IIRC, this year, they are giving out free biodegradable water balloons to replace the eco-nasty kind.) Not sure I'll make that event yet though.

When you get to Montauk, we keep our boat at the very south end of the lake, unless we are out on a trip. (Trips are planned to Nantucket, Cutty Hunk, and also out to the canyon in September. I'll also have 4 free nights at Brewers Marinas, so Greenport and CT are good possibilities.)

Regards,
Brad
Old 05-21-2010
C27 LI

mlong9876 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys

Thanks Nick and Brad. Iím still not sure where Iíll actually wind up staying but this is very helpful information. I definitely want to break the trip up into 2 or 3 days to get there.

The first and last long trip I took in this boat was last October from Patchogue (where I bought it) to Sea Cliff. I lost the engine within the first three hours and ran aground three times (two were caused by me and one while Sea Tow was 'assisting' us.) We told the Sea Tow captain that we were following the charts and his response was, "yeah, you can't really go by the charts in here".

We got up the following morning and made our way out. This time we stayed within the channels and didn't really look at the charts. It was Sunday morning so everyone and their brother were fishing in the bay. We tacked back and forth, within the fishing boats until we eventually made it through the breakwater.

Out in the ocean, the wind was on our bow the whole time which resulted in a seemingly never-ending series of tacks. We sailed straight through and made our way under the Verrazano at around 2:00 and eventually to Ellis Island where the wind just seemed to die. It was around 4:00AM and it was time to make the trek up Hell Gate, but we had no reliable engine, no wind and the furler just seemed to fall apart. My friend said that he had to get off in the city because had to shoot a commercial that morning and couldn't miss it. The only thing I could think to do was to call Sea Tow.

To make a long story (which has nothing to do with Block Island) just a little longer, Sea Tow towed us all the way back to Sea Cliff. My friend made his appointment and I went to sleep thinking that I had just purchased a clunker for which I would have the pleasure of paying winter storage. It turned out that both problems were relatively minor and easily fixed.

The point of all that, I think, was to say that I would definitely prefer breaking up the trip rather than sailing straight throughÖand of course, that I love Sea Tow.
Brad and Nick, I will definitely stay in touch and I hope that we cross paths out there. I keep my boat (Catalina 27 ĒGracie DayĒ) at Tappen Marina in Sea Cliff and am on the water as often as possible. This year Iím making a real effort to spend as much time out there as I can. I left the boat in wet storage this winter so Iíve been able to get out over 20 times this season already.

Iíll keep you all updated on the decisions of when and where and am always open to more suggestions.

Thanks again,

Michael
Old 05-22-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Michael,

Sound like a plan. I'm still on the hard. Sanding and painting the prop next. I must say that in-water storage seems like the way to go. (A bit envious!) Perhaps you could start a new thread and post your experiences. I for one would like to know more about the down side. I'm planning for us to stay in the water next winter.

Regards,
Brad
Old 05-23-2010

Nepenthe1 is on a distinguished road
long island sound NYC to Martha's Vineyard

Im heading out from City Island to Martha's Vineyard June 1 for 3 weeks. Taking my 38' bene and meeting up with a friend with a 42' in Westport, then Thimbles, Watch Hill, Buzzards Bay, Cuttyhunk, and Martha's Vineyard. Return will be June 18-24, MV to Block Island, Sag Harbor and surrounding area, Mt Sinai and back to NYC. Does anyone know how the Martha's Vineyard to Block island leg is in terms of rough ocean or approximate time? It seems like a bit of long haul.

Did a similar trip last year to Block, which is a fantastic place, and you can always find a mooring there, even with 200+ extra boats last year during race week!

Craig