Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010
C27 LI

mlong9876 is on a distinguished road
Brad, I started a new thread called "NE Winter Storage - In Water Vs. Land"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Michael

C27
Gracie Day
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2010

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong9876 View Post
Thanks Nick and Brad. Iím still not sure where Iíll actually wind up staying but this is very helpful information. I definitely want to break the trip up into 2 or 3 days to get there.

The first and last long trip I took in this boat was last October from Patchogue (where I bought it) to Sea Cliff. I lost the engine within the first three hours and ran aground three times (two were caused by me and one while Sea Tow was 'assisting' us.) We told the Sea Tow captain that we were following the charts and his response was, "yeah, you can't really go by the charts in here".

Thanks again,

Michael
That sounds like it was quite the trip LOL! I actually kept my first boat, a Mark 25 (25' sloop similar to a C&C) on the Great South Bay in Patchogue 4 years ago. As crazy as it sounds, that Sea Tow Captain was right about not being able to follow the charts down there. They provide a good reference point but that bay is so shallow and the sand and shoals are always shifting. You just really have to take your time, try and follow the markers (even if some are pots and pans or a stick or tree lol). The only upside is that the bottom is all sand so usually they are all just soft groundings.

I'm not sure if it is Tappan Marina or another one over near Sea Cliff but I go sailing out of there sometimes with a friend of mine. His buddy owns the 1939 yawl, "Golden Eye" which has a black hull and is about 47 ft or so long and is a beautiful wooden boat. Sometimes I crew on it on the Wednesday night beer can races. Its a real nice harbor.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I might be taking my boat over there next weekend for Memorial Day. I'll keep an eye out for you now that I know your boat's name. Mine is "Capricorn" incase you see me.

Regards,
nick
Old 05-24-2010
C27 LI

Hey Nick, 'Golden Eye' is in Tappen marina a few docks over from me. It's a beautiful boat but I haven't been out sailing with him yet. We both wintered there so I saw him a lot. When I see a boat like that, all I can think of is how much time and effort it takes to keep it going.

I should be around at some point over the weekend and I hope to see you there but I'm heading out to Oyster Bay for a night or two with my wife.

Regards,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Michael

C27
Gracie Day
Old 06-03-2010
C27 LI

Probably not going to Block anymore

I was so excited for this trip; the tides were right coming and going for the 9th through the 14th, but unfortunately the two guys I was going with were each called into work unexpectedly. I might just go by myself for the adventure of it but in all likelihood, Block will just have to wait a little longer for me.

Michael

C27
Gracie Day
Old 06-04-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Why not ask for crew here on Sailnet. That's what I did.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 06-05-2010
C27 LI

I think a request for crew to Block on a Bene 505 is a tad more appealing than a Cat 27 ....Certainly not complaining, I'm just saying... :-)

Michael

C27
Gracie Day
Old 06-06-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong9876 View Post
I think a request for crew to Block on a Bene 505 is a tad more appealing than a Cat 27 ....Certainly not complaining, I'm just saying... :-)
It's not the dance floor, it's the dancing. Sailboats are great no matter what the size.

Give DavidPM a shout. If you stop off at Westbrook CT, you may be able to convice him with a good meal and some cookies.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 06-06-2010

Culinary411 is on a distinguished road
Mike,
Say when and I'm in. I'm in Port Washington but can meet you anywhere or you can come to PW and we can take my boat. CAL 27, tillerpilot, radar, chartplotter, etc... let me know if you're interested. Its definately not the boat, I'd go in a canoe with good company.

-Nick
Old 06-06-2010
C27 LI

Wow Nick. I'll PM you shortly.

Michael

C27
Gracie Day
Old 06-07-2010

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Nick, Mike, Brad...I was checking into mooring/anchoring in Mt Sinai next weekend, when I
found this thread...I used to post on sailnet Long Island
but did not realize it was still active. This is Great!
If any interest, I would be interested in cruising multiple
boats or yours/mine(30' reasonable equiped) with
reasonable/responsible sailors. I finally have the time
and my wife not into long cruises. Hugo