Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
I forgot...anyone know if there is a good holding and room to anchor in Mt Sinai Harbor...
also, by way of introduction...we sail out of Manhasset
bay early spring and late fall and am on a mooring in
Steppingstone marina the rest of the season. Hugo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Mt. Sinai Anchorage

Hello,

There is not a lot of room to anchor in Mt. Sinai. There are many moorings and not a lot of room to anchor. There might be some room at the east end of the harbor, near the boat ramp.

Ralph's Fishing Station has transient moorings. I think the price is $30/ day midweek and$40 / day weekend, that includes launch service. The Mt. Sinai yacht club might have moorings available too.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2010
C27 LI

mlong9876 is on a distinguished road
Well, this is all coming together nicely. I'll PM you in a little while Hugo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Michael

C27
Gracie Day
Old 06-07-2010

Thanks Barry...I will check into a mooring.

Michael, sent you and Nick a pm and a e-mail.

Happy to be back...Hugo
Old 06-08-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
There is no anchoring in Mt. Sinai. I think I recall this from something WanderingStar said when I sailed with him. It's a little harbor.

Looks like I'll be sailing the last weekend of June from Glen Cover (Sea Cliff) to Montauk. Date is not certain yet, since I need to get re-blocked, do some keel work, and get launched. If anyone is interested in going or convoying, let me know.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 06-08-2010

Thanks Brad...will arrange for a mooring, good luck
with your keel and launch.
Thanks again. Hugo
Old 06-09-2010
C27 LI

mlong9876 is on a distinguished road
Hi Brad and all,

I met up with Nick at Quantum in Port Washington; we dropped his car off at the town dock and drove over to my boat in Sea Cliff where we sailed back around to PW and rafted up. Nick was called away by his wife and I went on to raft up with Hugo right outside of Leed's Pond. It was great meeting these guys. We don't have any specific plans to "cruise" together yet but it seems like we will definitely be putting some trips together going forward.

At this moment, I know I am interested in the trip to Montauk at the end of the month, whether it's convoying or going with you. If I can get my overheating problem under control, then I think I would like to take my boat and anchor close or raft up.

**Semi-OT**

When Nick and I headed out of Sea Cliff, the wind was on our bow so we motored out. I kept the boat at a very high RPM of 2200-2300 and eventually watched the temp climb sky high. It seems that if I keep it at around 1800, I don't have any problems (I still have to test that for a couple of hours straight) but when I get greedy and want to achieve my staggering 6.2kts hull speed, it starts to overheat. As I decrease throttle, the engine alarm comes on while the engine is still running unless I increase the rpms which of course, exacerbates the problem.

I'm writing this here, and will post it in a more appropriate forum, to see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Here's what I've done:

Checked the impeller - everything is intact
Impeller does not spin freely by hand and spins when the engine is started (I left the cover off and started it)
Replaced impeller and cover - no leaks
Good flow of water from the sea ****
Ran the hose from the dock directly to the engine (I have a T-connection) water rushes through as it should
Repeated muriatic acid flush last night
Last year it remedied the prob and restored good flow (I'm just not sure if I ran it at such high rpms afterward)
I'm going back today to flush the acid out and check it

I tested the situation when I was coming back from PW last night (because I'm stupid) and wound up coming close to overheating again but because there was no wind, I kept it running at idle @ 180 to 200 degrees while I limped back in to my slip at 1.2kts.

After flushing the acid out, I plan on checking and cleaning the bottom near the intake, but again, there is reasonable flow from the sea **** so I don't think that's the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Brad, good luck with the keel work; I hope it goes quickly and that you're able to get out soon. If you feel the need to sail before then, I'm right around the corner from you and would happy to take you out. If you need help with your keel, I can only provide comic relief and add extra hours to the job...if that sounds like something you need, let me know.

Regards,
Michael

Michael

C27
Gracie Day
Old 06-09-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello Michael,

I am also having overheating problems, which I hope to solve by this weekend (parts due in today).

It sounds like you have thoroughly checked the raw water side of the cooling system - the raw water pump is sucking in seawater and expelling it out the back.

Have you checked the heat exchanger? There are two end caps that you can remove (don't worry, no coolant will leak out). Take the caps off and see if there is debris in there. If the heat exchanger is full of scale, salt, etc. I would remove it from the boat and take it to a radiator shop where they can properly clean it. It's not hard to do that, let me know if you need instructions.

Now it's time to check the engine side of the cooling system. Do you have sufficient coolant? When was the last time it was changed? Is there any air in the system? Have you tried to bleed air out? Have you checked the thermostat? The last item to check is the engine water pump.

You didn't describe what engine you have, it would help to know.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 06-09-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Micheal,

Thanks for the offer. I have family stuff to do this weekend but plan to grind-wire brush-yellow primer-barrrier coat-barrier coat sunday afternoon.

(I can get the barrier coat to dry in 3 hours by using some well placed space heaters and carefully checking to make sure the temperature doesn't get too hot. This is at the very bottom of the keel, so I use the ever-present little squares of plywood to make a tent around the drying area.)

Anyway, I'd love to sail but want to get into the water before I have a disgruntled family. School ends next week and I have got to be ready!

Good luck with your engine. Barry is good people and helpful, hope his ideas work out.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 06-09-2010

seadaddler is on a distinguished road
Anchoring

Hey guys why not anchor in port jeff on the way to Montauk