Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
I also recommend checking out the Public Library on City Island. They have an impressive collection of nautical books if you into a few hours of browsing.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesper View Post
Nice to see all the kind words about Stuyvesant YC since I'm a member there. Truth is, though, all 4 clubs on the western shore have guest moorings, restaurants, showers, etc. and are accomodating to visitors.

The diner mentioned by two posters is the City Island Diner and the best place I know of for a hearty breakfast. Take-out sandwiches are great, too, but their hours can catch you by surprise - they close early.

Lickety-Split across the street is always filled with kids - for ice cream, of course. They also tend to favor the "greasy-spoon" fried fish joints - two at the southern tip of the island and one on the west side halfway up. I've never been to Artie's myself, but I really like the Black Whale (outdoor gargen and the owner also runs Stuyvesant's restaurant) and the Crab Shanty. The latter is somewhat aptly named when it comes to atmosphere, but the seafood is first-rate.

Lots of antique stores along the Avenue and several places to pick up necessaries for the boat. Dempsey's and The Snug (both on the same block as the Diner) are the local watering holes if you're looking for a burger and beer with Dempsey's being the place for late-night raucus entertainment.
Nice work Hesper. Now that is local knowledge!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If your scehdule allows, skip the heavy tourist hours. I've seen summer weekends when Friday or Saturday from, say 4PM to 10PM, the traffic was so heavy that it was "one car on the island, one car off the island" and solid all the way down the avenue.

A much nicer place to visit if you can do it during the week!
Old 08-18-2010

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the recommendations on this thread. We made it over to City Island about three weeks ago (the day of the microburst -- see here Deadly thunderstorm in Western L.I. Sound) and thought I would post a quick recap.

We picked up a mooring at Stuyvesant Yacht Club in the late morning. Everyone there was really nice and they cut us a break on their normal fee since we were only staying for a couple of hours. Walked to the main drag and had lunch at the City Island Diner, which was a good choice for the kids. Standard diner fare with a friendly waitstaff. Afterwards, we walked across the street to Lickety Split for ice cream for the kids (and dad). The kids had a blast and I expect we will be back.

We did not explore the rest of the island, as it was very hot that day, and the forecast was pretty ominous, so we decided to call it good and head back across the sound to Manhasset Bay. As it turned out, that was a good decision (see the link above). I'd like to get back and explore some more -- my best one sentence description is that it seemed like an odd combination of a quaint New England seafaring town with patches of urban blight mixed in.
Old 11-14-2011

murphbmurph is on a distinguished road
Marina slip for a coupla weeks next summer?

I keep my Precision 185 on Lake Nockamixon in PA, but would like to try City Island for a few weeks next summer. Any chance I can get a marina slip for less than a full season? Any suggestions where I should start looking?