Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
City Island Recommendations?

I'm looking to explore City Island this summer, and was wondering if anyone has recommendations about any of the following:

1. Mooring possibilities/local clubs (I expect I have privileges due to reciprocity with my club).

2. Anchorages (I draw 6 feet)

3. Restaurants (kid friendly)

4. Fun things to do (with the kids -- ages 2, 5 and 7).

I have the Embassy cruising guide, so no need to repeat stuff that is in there. Just looking for local knowledge.

Best,

Plumbean
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I've only stopped there once, ate at a nice italian restaurant, it wasn't really kid friendly. $$

The only thing I can contribute is that you should make sure your fuel tank is topped up because there's no diesel fuel on city island that I was able to find.

I topped up in Manhasset Bay at the capri marina.
Old 05-24-2010

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
FWIW, the reviews on ActiveCaptain.com seem to favor the Harlem Yacht Club for service, atmosphere, etc.

I just had my 25-footer splashed from Stuyvesant YC, where it wintered over. Overall a good experience, low-key friendly folk, both in the yard and the restaurant/bar.
Old 05-24-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjablonowski View Post
FWIW, the reviews on ActiveCaptain.com seem to favor the Harlem Yacht Club for service, atmosphere, etc.

I just had my 25-footer splashed from Stuyvesant YC, where it wintered over. Overall a good experience, low-key friendly folk, both in the yard and the restaurant/bar.
+1 for Stuyvesant YC. Not fancy, but nice folks, showers, ice, etc and an easy walk to City Island Avenue. Don't remember the name, but there's a great diner on City Island Ave about a 10min walk from Stuyvesant (head north on City Island Ave - diner is on the east side) -- great breakfasts and takeout sandwiches.

BTW, check your charts carefully and steer clear of Big Tom - a large rock in very shallow water just off the SW end of City Island.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 05-24-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure if these guys are the only ones on CI who maintain moorings: New York Sailing Center & Yacht Club
I'm not even sure they take 'transients' but might be worth a call if a mooring is your preference. I think I would prefer to be closer to shore side plumbing (at a slip) with youngsters aboard.
City Island is not the 'destination' it once was.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
As it happens I am currently at 40°51.274'N 073°46.637'W between City Island and Hart Island. We had planned just an overnight before heading to Sandy Hook but the weather wasn't good for my first transit of Hell Gate in 25 years so we spent the day.

Between City and Hart watch out for Green Flats behind Ratt Island (closer to City). Most of the shallow water south of Ratt is taken up with Moorings that are managed by a variety of folks (more in a moment). We chose to anchor were the water comes up to 15 or 20 feet North of the cable crossing toward Hart Island. The holding is great but there are periodic wakes to contend with.

Barron's Boatyard (350 Fordham Place 718-885-9802) was extremely accommodating to us, especially when you consider we were spending no money there at all. They let us use their service dock to tie up our dinghy and to use their heads. I didn't ask about showers. It is a working boatyard and far from elegant; I was impressed by how clean the heads were and friendly the staff was. Highly recommended.

If you walk up Fordham about three or four blocks to the light at City Island Blvd you'll find the main drag. We turned right so can't speak to what is to the left. There is a really cool and funky wine store within a block followed by a local market and then an IGA. Artie's restaurant is Italian/Seafood across the street and may be the place referred to above. They were very gracious and I suspect would accommodate well-behaved children very effectively. I did not see any children-specific menu items.

There is a diner and a couple of delis in the few blocks we walked.

Overall my impression of City Island is a small village connected to a big city that has managed to maintain that village atmosphere. Janet and I will definitely be back, with better shoes and a will to spend more time on walkabout.

There is a nautical museum that is only open on weekends on Fordham that -- according to locals we spoke with -- is worth planning a visit around.

Cell service is flaky. We have both AT&T and Verizon aboard and both on the boat and ashore we could go from four or five bars and 3G to nothing without moving. A little frustrating. Don't visit when you are expecting critical calls. *grin*

It appears most (?) of the nicer marinas and yacht clubs are on the western side of City. We didn't get over there by land or sea so can't speak to them. YMMV.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Arties! Sounds right... they had a great calamari salad. Dinner was excellent.
Old 05-24-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
We just randomly stopped at the first dock we found about a week ago.
South Minneford Yacht Club-City Island Services

We stayed the night. cost 2.50 a foot, used the head and clean showers.
Not much to say. Clean, secure walked to a couple places to eat.
Old 05-24-2010

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the info! If I manage to get over there this summer I'll post back with my impressions. This is basically in my backyard, just have never been before.
Old 05-25-2010

Hesper is on a distinguished road
Nice to see all the kind words about Stuyvesant YC since I'm a member there. Truth is, though, all 4 clubs on the western shore have guest moorings, restaurants, showers, etc. and are accomodating to visitors.

The diner mentioned by two posters is the City Island Diner and the best place I know of for a hearty breakfast. Take-out sandwiches are great, too, but their hours can catch you by surprise - they close early.

Lickety-Split across the street is always filled with kids - for ice cream, of course. They also tend to favor the "greasy-spoon" fried fish joints - two at the southern tip of the island and one on the west side halfway up. I've never been to Artie's myself, but I really like the Black Whale (outdoor gargen and the owner also runs Stuyvesant's restaurant) and the Crab Shanty. The latter is somewhat aptly named when it comes to atmosphere, but the seafood is first-rate.

Lots of antique stores along the Avenue and several places to pick up necessaries for the boat. Dempsey's and The Snug (both on the same block as the Diner) are the local watering holes if you're looking for a burger and beer with Dempsey's being the place for late-night raucus entertainment.