Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We are planning on stopping in Port Jeff or Mount Siani...probably Port Jeff. We may be able to meet up with BarryL for dinner that night as he lives nearby.

Last time we stayed in Mt Misery Cove at Port Jeff, but this time we are looking for a morring with a launch to take us in town ( we have a dinghy on davits, but the launch makes things even easier). We have an extensive water system, but the boat traveling with us needs to get showers also.

The next day we are planning on going to Greenport. I like the Brewers marinas, but they are across the habor from the town. Is there nothing closer to the town center?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2010

seadaddler is on a distinguished road
brewers

Brewers has shuttle into town or dinghy into town,sag harbor has good anchoring east of breakwater and check charts for rocks out side
sag harbor,greenport town marina has new docks to block waves from ferry calm in town marina but maybe noisey at times,town has lots to see and interesting.Greenport and sag harbor my favorate place to visit.
Old 07-18-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If you hit Sag Harbor do check out the American Hotel (walkable) for vittles as it is a an upscale eating place. Several choices of types of oysters on the half shell, that sort of thing. Nice steak au poivre and local seafood. Continental cuisine I guess you would call it. Not cheap but good to excellent.
The American Hotel - Sag Harbor, New York
I may be able to meet you around Liberty Landing around the 25-26th as I should be home in lower Manhattan by then. We just left Sarasota, FL where we had a few meals at the Ritz-Carlton that were quite good for such a large hotel.
We arrived on the east coast of FL (W. Palm area) after driving by Lake Okechobee and I am a bit loath to admit that we had Taco Bell for dinner tonight which was only done out of convenience because it was late.
Home cooked meals are always better then 'fast' food.
Swimming in the Gulf off of Siesta Key was nice and there was no sign of oil on the beach or in the water that I noted.
Hope your trip goes well and PM me when you are in NY/NJ.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-18-2010

Thanks Caleb, Will PM you from Barneget or Cape May. Boat is mostly packed already. No small feat with almostv 100 degree temps here on the Chesapeake this weekend. Hopefully the waether will be like most of our trips up north...much cooler than the Chessy in July and August.

Our itinerary if no problems beset us is

July 23 Reedy Island (Delaware River)
July 24 Cape May
July 25 Barneget Light, NJ
July 26 Liberty Landing Jersey City
July 27 Mt Siani/ Port Jefferson- maybe have dinner with BarryL if he is
available
Jluy 28 Greenport

After then we will figure out where we are going. Probabilities include Sag Harbor or Shelter Island, Cuttyhunk, Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluff, and maybe Newport. before we turn around and head back. Probably go back down the Conn side

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-18-2010

Seadaddler,

Sag Harbor is hard to find slip and mooring so far...and also expensive. Would it it be better to find an anchorage on Shelter Island cove or marina there? I am not cheap but $5 ft is crazy. Is there a ferry or cabs that run over to Sag Harbor. Are there places to land a dinghy in Sag Harbor?

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-19-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Greenport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The next day we are planning on going to Greenport. I like the Brewers marinas, but they are across the habor from the town. Is there nothing closer to the town center?
Dave
This place:
Welcome to Townsend Manor Inn, Greenport New York - Greenport Hotel
is very close to town and the walk would be easy.

Regarding Sag Harbor, a cab ride from Greenport would be expensive because of the two ferry rides across Shelter Island. Perhaps you could stay in Three Mile Harbor? From there it would be an easy cab ride to Sag Harbor. Another option is Noyack Bay, which is just west of Sag Harbor. There is a wonderful nature preserve, the Morton National Wildlife Refuge, that includes all of Jessup Neck.

Elizabeth A. Morton National Wildlife Refuge

Good luck and fair winds,
Barry

Old 07-19-2010

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
As much as I love Sag Harbor, it is just a very difficult place to visit by boat these days. Limited space, expensive, etc.

I still have fond memories of my summers spent there in the late 1980's.

Old 07-19-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
American Hotel just got written up in the WSJ(?) last week for having an outstandingly reasonable wine cellar--wide range of very good wines at prices below the usual restaurant pricing. So they may be unusually busy for the next few weeks. Or, a good stop if you want to check out the wine list.

:-)
Old 07-19-2010

tweitz is on a distinguished road
If you don't get a place at American Hotel, there is lots of good dining in Sag Harbor. B. Smith's on the pier is nice, a little pricey but a great view. For a cheap meal get walkaway shellfish on the pier as well. Other nice places are Beacon or Paradise, or Sen for Japanese food. Shelter Island is wonderful, but there are no taxis on Shelter Island. Three Mile Harbor, my home port, is always nice and good dining shoreside at the Boat House, Harbor Bistro or East Hampton Point. Its about three miles into the town of East Hampton,may 10 miles to Sag harbor.
Old 07-19-2010

tweitz is on a distinguished road
By the way, as I was sailing in Gardiner's Bay on Saturday, I saw Hyperion. Absolutely spectacular.