SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Long Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/)
-   -   crusing long island sound and shelter isl. looking for moorings , friends, nightlife (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/68184-crusing-long-island-sound-shelter-isl-looking-moorings-friends-nightlife.html)

jasonr575 09-12-2010 08:59 AM

crusing long island sound and shelter isl. looking for moorings , friends, nightlife

Will be crusing long island sound and around shelter island for my vacation. Leaving 9-17 from ct river to niantic, then to mystic river or watch hole or fishers island, then by monday 9/20 to block island, on wed 9/22 to montauk, and somewhere around shelter island, to greenport for maretime fest, mon 9/27 probably back somewhere around shelter island. Back to ct river by wed, 9/29. Looking for anchorages, cheap or free moorings, nightlife, fun things to do (clamming, fishing, beaches etc.) and to make new friends. Anyone with a boat interested in joining us (my girlfriend and I) for some of the trip or meeting us somewhere would be welcome. My girlfriend is 33, i am 41, we are friendly and fun loving. We sail a 41 ft sloop. We are very familiar with block island and fairly familiar with anchorage and clamming in niantic. Looking for info on all other areas, especially about anchorages and moorings. If anyone has moorings in good spots i would be willing to rent. I hope to hear back from anyone who has info.
jason

KindOfBlue 09-12-2010 10:05 AM

Look up a restaurant called "Sunset Saloon" in Montauk. It's in the bay west of Montauk lake called Fort Pond Bay. I have anchored in there and pulled the dinghy up on the beach while I had dinner. I haven't been in 2 years, but I had a great time and the sunset is amazing.

SOUNDBOUNDER 09-12-2010 01:43 PM

This time of year, moorings are only $20 at Block. However there is no launch service. Still, it is hard to beat.

There are no moorings available in Greenport. You can grab a mooring in Dering Harbor on Shelter and take the ferry over. An anchorage on SI is coecles Harbor, but you will be far from everything if you want to go ashore.

There is only one game in town in Stonington. Dodsons has moorings, however there is an area to anchor in the southern part of the harbor.

In Watch Hill you can anchor inside of Napatree, and the town and beaches are all right there. I have done that many times.

On Fishers Island, you can anchor in West Harbor. You might find some empty moorings to use, but I wouldn't leave the boat if you use one.

I am not a big Niantic fan.

jasonr575 09-12-2010 08:40 PM

thanks for that info , whats what i am looking for. any info on mystic or new london area. also why shouldnt i leave the boat when in fishers island?

SOUNDBOUNDER 09-13-2010 03:45 AM

I just meant that the mooring owner may show up while you are out. What you can do in Fishers is anchor, and then if you want piece of mind while you sleep, you can grab a mooring. Or you can just pay for a mooring at the yc.

New London-Between the Fishers Island and Orient Point ferries is a town dock that provides free docking for 4 hours. It is a U-shaped dock just north of a fishing pier. It gives you enough time to walk around Bank Street, have something to eat, etc.
You can then grab a mooring from the town (just south of FI Ferry), or at the Thames Yc farther south. They have launch, showers, etc but they close up early in the evening this time of year.

I'll have more later.

SOUNDBOUNDER 09-13-2010 05:03 AM

Mystic has no transient moorings, but there is a dingy dock just south of the Rt1 drawbridge. You can grab a mooring in Noank and dingy up the river.
Also, Seaport Marine allows a 4 hour tie-up for $25.
In Noank, Ram Island has free moorings if you are a member of a club. No launch service.

Stonington has a lot to offer IMO for a short visit. The lighthouse, fishing fleet, and the houses in town are worth checking out. The Dogwatch at Dodsons has free tie-ups for visitors. If the weather is good, their outside bar is a lot of fun. Otherwise, grab a mooring or use the anchor field. There are also two good restaurants with bars in town right across from each other on Water Street.

Bene505 09-13-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindOfBlue (Post 642786)
Look up a restaurant called "Sunset Saloon" in Montauk. It's in the bay west of Montauk lake called Fort Pond Bay. I have anchored in there and pulled the dinghy up on the beach while I had dinner. I haven't been in 2 years, but I had a great time and the sunset is amazing.

They've gone through a couple name changes in the last few years. Not sure of the current name. Also they've gone upscale a bit. Still a very good bet for a great time.

Watch the wind direction there in Fort Pond Bay. It's very exposed to any winds with a north component. And it's very deep, right off the beach. It goes to 60 feet fast. Actually it was the site of torpoedo testing during WW2. Something about it being the 3rd deepest bay/harbor/something in the world.

Also watch for very high density of lobster pots/floats. I would advise against going in or out at night.

Historical note: that was the original site of the town of Montauk. Hence the train station nearby. The hurricane back in the 1930s wiped it out. A friend's family's (grandmother's) cottage was found floating, dragged back and repositioned on much higher ground.

Regards,
Brad

jasonr575 09-13-2010 10:02 PM

that is some interesting trivia.

jasonr575 09-15-2010 02:25 AM

Nothing more?? It is getting close to departure time, hopefully weather will cooperate,

SOUNDBOUNDER 09-15-2010 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonr575 (Post 643962)
Nothing more?? It is getting close to departure time, hopefully weather will cooperate,

Any other questions?

I think if you visit Stonington, Watch Hill, Block, Dering Harbor/Greenport, plus another night anchored in or around Shelter Island, .....that is a good trip.

Stonington, Block, and Greenport will have restaurants/nightlife, while Watch Hill and coecles will be nice anchorages.
Another place to anchor if it is calm is south of cedar point lighthouse, east of Shelter Island. Row ashore, and you will have the entire sandy penninsula to yourself. The charts refer to it as Northwest Harbor. Not a good spot if the winds are strong out of the south and west