crusing long island sound and shelter isl. looking for moorings , friends, nightlife - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010

jasonr575 is on a distinguished road
crusing long island sound and shelter isl. looking for moorings , friends, nightlife

Will be crusing long island sound and around shelter island for my vacation. Leaving 9-17 from ct river to niantic, then to mystic river or watch hole or fishers island, then by monday 9/20 to block island, on wed 9/22 to montauk, and somewhere around shelter island, to greenport for maretime fest, mon 9/27 probably back somewhere around shelter island. Back to ct river by wed, 9/29. Looking for anchorages, cheap or free moorings, nightlife, fun things to do (clamming, fishing, beaches etc.) and to make new friends. Anyone with a boat interested in joining us (my girlfriend and I) for some of the trip or meeting us somewhere would be welcome. My girlfriend is 33, i am 41, we are friendly and fun loving. We sail a 41 ft sloop. We are very familiar with block island and fairly familiar with anchorage and clamming in niantic. Looking for info on all other areas, especially about anchorages and moorings. If anyone has moorings in good spots i would be willing to rent. I hope to hear back from anyone who has info.
jason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Look up a restaurant called "Sunset Saloon" in Montauk. It's in the bay west of Montauk lake called Fort Pond Bay. I have anchored in there and pulled the dinghy up on the beach while I had dinner. I haven't been in 2 years, but I had a great time and the sunset is amazing.
Old 09-12-2010

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
This time of year, moorings are only $20 at Block. However there is no launch service. Still, it is hard to beat.

There are no moorings available in Greenport. You can grab a mooring in Dering Harbor on Shelter and take the ferry over. An anchorage on SI is coecles Harbor, but you will be far from everything if you want to go ashore.

There is only one game in town in Stonington. Dodsons has moorings, however there is an area to anchor in the southern part of the harbor.

In Watch Hill you can anchor inside of Napatree, and the town and beaches are all right there. I have done that many times.

On Fishers Island, you can anchor in West Harbor. You might find some empty moorings to use, but I wouldn't leave the boat if you use one.

I am not a big Niantic fan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2010

thanks for that info , whats what i am looking for. any info on mystic or new london area. also why shouldnt i leave the boat when in fishers island?
Old 09-13-2010

I just meant that the mooring owner may show up while you are out. What you can do in Fishers is anchor, and then if you want piece of mind while you sleep, you can grab a mooring. Or you can just pay for a mooring at the yc.

New London-Between the Fishers Island and Orient Point ferries is a town dock that provides free docking for 4 hours. It is a U-shaped dock just north of a fishing pier. It gives you enough time to walk around Bank Street, have something to eat, etc.
You can then grab a mooring from the town (just south of FI Ferry), or at the Thames Yc farther south. They have launch, showers, etc but they close up early in the evening this time of year.

I'll have more later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2010

Mystic has no transient moorings, but there is a dingy dock just south of the Rt1 drawbridge. You can grab a mooring in Noank and dingy up the river.
Also, Seaport Marine allows a 4 hour tie-up for $25.
In Noank, Ram Island has free moorings if you are a member of a club. No launch service.

Stonington has a lot to offer IMO for a short visit. The lighthouse, fishing fleet, and the houses in town are worth checking out. The Dogwatch at Dodsons has free tie-ups for visitors. If the weather is good, their outside bar is a lot of fun. Otherwise, grab a mooring or use the anchor field. There are also two good restaurants with bars in town right across from each other on Water Street.

Last edited by SOUNDBOUNDER; 09-13-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
Look up a restaurant called "Sunset Saloon" in Montauk. It's in the bay west of Montauk lake called Fort Pond Bay. I have anchored in there and pulled the dinghy up on the beach while I had dinner. I haven't been in 2 years, but I had a great time and the sunset is amazing.
They've gone through a couple name changes in the last few years. Not sure of the current name. Also they've gone upscale a bit. Still a very good bet for a great time.

Watch the wind direction there in Fort Pond Bay. It's very exposed to any winds with a north component. And it's very deep, right off the beach. It goes to 60 feet fast. Actually it was the site of torpoedo testing during WW2. Something about it being the 3rd deepest bay/harbor/something in the world.

Also watch for very high density of lobster pots/floats. I would advise against going in or out at night.

Historical note: that was the original site of the town of Montauk. Hence the train station nearby. The hurricane back in the 1930s wiped it out. A friend's family's (grandmother's) cottage was found floating, dragged back and repositioned on much higher ground.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 09-13-2010

that is some interesting trivia.
Old 09-15-2010

Nothing more?? It is getting close to departure time, hopefully weather will cooperate,
Old 09-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr575 View Post
Nothing more?? It is getting close to departure time, hopefully weather will cooperate,
Any other questions?

I think if you visit Stonington, Watch Hill, Block, Dering Harbor/Greenport, plus another night anchored in or around Shelter Island, .....that is a good trip.

Stonington, Block, and Greenport will have restaurants/nightlife, while Watch Hill and coecles will be nice anchorages.
Another place to anchor if it is calm is south of cedar point lighthouse, east of Shelter Island. Row ashore, and you will have the entire sandy penninsula to yourself. The charts refer to it as Northwest Harbor. Not a good spot if the winds are strong out of the south and west

Last edited by SOUNDBOUNDER; 09-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.