Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011

fsp421 is on a distinguished road
east end moorings and launch/water taxi?

I am looking for suggestions about moorings and launch service in Montauk, Greenport this summer for a two week period

Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
It's been 20 years since I've sailed into Montauk harbor, but I don't recall there being any mooring fields. I've never sailed to Greenport.

Try www.activecaptain.com and click in the interactive guide. Tons of info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-23-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We stpped in Greenport and Sag harbor last summer for a few days while on our way up to Newport and Marthas Vineyard from Baltimore/ Annapolis area.

Greenport doesnt have mooring if I rmeemeber. We stayed at Mitchel park the city dock for a couple of days,,,neat place. There are mooring a dingy ride acrooss in Dehring(sp) Harbor( Shelter Island I beleive. Also Cockles Harbor has some on Shelter Island.

Sag Harbor has some although we stayed at the Sag Harbor yacht club which was quite pricy for 2 days, We were docked between Billy Joels sailboat and Keith Urbians megayacht. Our 35 footer looked like something out of the Clampetts compared to them. Sag is a great place for restairants and people watching.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-23-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
Dering harbor, across the channel from Greenport, has moorings. Shelter Island Yacht Club has moorings and a launch. Jack's Marine at (631) 749-0114 also has moorings, but you'd need to bring your dinghy. There are some shops and restaurants at Dering Harbor, but if you want to go to Greenport, there is a short, frequent ferry connection within walking distance of Dering Harbor.
Old 03-28-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I believe there are moorings in Sterling Harbor at Greenport, but no launch service that I am aware of. Harbormaster controls them and collects the fee.

You can anchor in the pond at Montauk, but again no launch service. Bene505 keeps his boat there in the summer so he would have the best info.
Old 03-28-2011

tweitz is on a distinguished road
I believe there are moorings in Coecles Harbor in Shelter Island, and there are also moorings in Three Mile Harbor. I am not sure of any in Greenport. I am pretty sure there are moorings in Sag Harbor. For both Sag, Three Mile and Coecles you should contact the local harbormaster,
Old 03-28-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
.....You can anchor in the pond at Montauk, but again no launch service. Bene505 keeps his boat there in the summer so he would have the best info.
I had to go pull a chart to refresh my memory, as I thought the pond was fairly shallow. 7 or 8 feet is the controlling depth. I can't tell in the OP what boat he is sailing to determine if that's an issue. Personally, a draft over 5 ft would keep me from pushing it. Maybe that's just me.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-29-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
No launch service in Montauk or moorings. They are also very strict about private mooring permits, which are fairly cheap for residents and $1500 for non-residents. I understand tickets/fines are a source of revenue for them. There are also 5 or 6 different policing forces (USCG, state police, local police, DNR, etc.) so the police outnumber the number of non-docked boats that have people on them. They are very sensitive about head discharges and frequently do onboard inspections. One of the marine policemen has an oyster farm in the lake, so he's got a strong personal interest since there is not a lot of water flow to clean out the lake. (There is a free pump-out boat that comes to you, channel 68 IIRC.) The poplice will also pull you over for making a wake. I witnessed a marine policeman give a ticket to a man driving a dinghy for making a wake -- the dinghy was going 3 or 4 knots, it was not up on plane. I was amazed. (The policeman was giving me a ticket at the same time, too.)

I don't think you need a mooring permit if you are just visiting for a couple days. Or you could come raft-up with us for a night. There are also some expensive places to dock.

We squeak into the lake with our 6 foot draft although we watch the depth gauge closely and it seemes we only have a few inches to spare sometimes. The harbor entrance has some shoaling issues and they recently put up a new set of channel markers on the west side of the entrance. Not sure what that means yet, since I saw it by car.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 05-12-2011

Thanks Brad
We will be out that way mid June.
Bene 381
Sugar Magnolia
Old 06-14-2011

East end

Thanks for all the advise