Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Norwalk CT

Hello,

I'm thinking of sailing from my home port (Mt. Sinai, NY) to Norwalk for Memorial day. I would like to go to the aquarium and spend a day in town. Does anyone have recommendations for a marina? Should I just stay at the town dock? Anything better with a pool or something? What is within walking distance of the aquarium?

Thanks for any information.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2011

mazzy is on a distinguished road
Barry,
I stayed at the town dock a couple of Octobers ago. Easy walk to SoNo nightlife (and an easy stumble back to my berth after beers at The Ginger Man). Went to the aquarium, and, because of a noreaster, took the railroad home, leaving the boat for a couple of days on the dock. No pool, but clean showers/restrooms. Really convenient and easy.

Mike
Old 05-05-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I stayed at the town dock last year, similar experience to Mazzy's. The only problem was that there was a party boat stern wheel looking thing taking city folk out for parties. Started late and went til dawn. It was only a problem at the dock when someone opened a door and let out amplified boomp boomp boomp! But that did keep me from getting a good night's sleep.
Old 05-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
It has literally been 30 years since I docked in Norwalk. My Father kept a boat there for several years back then. I have been back to the city (SoNo), which is a whole lot nicer these days then it was back then. Lots of great bars and restaurants and I've been to the IMAX as well.

Rex Marine was a staple back then and I understand it still is. It is also on the same side of the river as where you will want to go. The town docks were over the bridge, which isn't that big of a deal. It's walkable. I would question how quiet the town docks are at night, but my recollection is quite dated.

I wonder if they still have the Oyster Festival each year at the town park. A classic summer memory of boating with my family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-12-2011

fsp421 is on a distinguished road
we enjoy Norwlak Cove Marina
They have access to pool club next door!
Old 05-12-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsp421 View Post
we enjoy Norwlak Cove Marina
They have access to pool club next door!
It does get good reviews. I don't recall that being walking distance to the aquarium or the SoNo restaurants/IMAX. Maybe a mile or two? I suppose that could be walked.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-30-2011
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Any possibilities for anchoring out and dinghy in? Places to land and tie up? Maybe marina w/dinghy privileges?
Old 04-27-2012

Sunday Driver is on a distinguished road
Re: Norwalk CT

norwalk harbor is pretty shallow , Stay in the channel .
you have to study the charts if you want to anchor out and it would be a bit of a dingy ride to the town dock ..
but if you dont mind the town dock , its a great place for a visit !
west marine is close by , movies The aquarium all a short walk ..

lots of resturants , Sono Seafood across the river has a great outside deck with a veiw of your boat at the dock across the way

Norwalk Islands are great too ..

I drive by everyday ..this is up todate info .

Cove Marina is nice ..pool plus close to the beach ...but a couple miles from town
Old 05-15-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Norwalk Cove Marina is a well-equipped facility, but a long way (well more than a mile and on the opposite -east- bank of the river) from the restaurants & attractions in South Norwalk that you say you want to visit. Rex is at least on the west side of the river, perhaps a half mile from the them, but is mostly powerboats (draft issues???) It seems to get shallow as you go upriver, so be forewarned. We stayed overnight once at the Norwalk Shore & Country Club, on the east bank. They were quite accommodating, but they don't get many visitors. (We had friends who were members.) While you are in town, you should also check out Select Plastics, (just over the bridge on the east side) which performs factory certified hatch and port repairs for a variety of brands.
Old 05-27-2012

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It does get good reviews. I don't recall that being walking distance to the aquarium or the SoNo restaurants/IMAX. Maybe a mile or two? I suppose that could be walked.

Better to Dink over.