Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011

sailingnyc is on a distinguished road
Fireworks?

Anyone know of any good spots in the western sound to take in fireworks this weekend?
Make: 1978 O'day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If your boat is moored at Steppingstone marina (I think it might be) I think you would likely see a pretty decent fireworks show right from your mooring. I'd bet there might be fireworks displays at Orchard Beach, Manhassett Harbor, Mamaroneck, Greenwich, Glen Cove. There might even be a show inside Little Neck Bay, I'm just not sure.
On a recent 4th of July (last year?) I watched the fireworks in Glen Cove from land in Sea Cliff and we could see the fireworks across the Sound at several locations and some of the displays from Manhasset Harbor.
If you are feeling lucky you could sail out to around Execution Rocks and see multiple shows going on as the view from the water has to be the best. I choose to be on land for the 4th fireworks displays because the waters get pretty crowded with other boaters who are celebrating with alcohol and whatnot. Don't get me wrong, I'll be enjoying beer on the 4th for sure; just not out on my boat. Not sure about the whatnot.
Enjoy.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-01-2011

sailingnyc is on a distinguished road
thanks for the feedback CalebD, you rock as always. Will be my first 4th out on the water so not sure what to expect, but coming from Manhattan it still sounds better than here.

Yep, at stepping stone for the second season. I'll be out all weekend so the plan was to find a decent place early and hunker down. I just didn't find much advertised other than new rochelle, so thinking I may drop anchor around davids island, but it would be cool to see more than one show. Sounds like I can't pick a bad spot anywhere

cheers!

New Rochelle Spark The Sound | The Daily New Rochelle
Make: 1978 O'day 25

Blog:
Old 07-01-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Dude,
If you anchored outside the channel anywhere near Sands Point (near Execution Rocks) I guarantee you will see multiple shows from multiple municipalities going on at once or nearly at once. I would not anchor overnight there most likely, just for the displays. Most major harbors on the CT side of the Sound will have fireworks of some sort and your best chance of seeing most of them is in the air in a plane or out on your boat. I know there will be fireworks somewhere in each of the harbors on the north shore of LI and CT. I'd only advise that you have decent lights for other boaters to see and be alert about other boaters out and about that night.
If you go, have fun and be careful is all.

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 07-01-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
SaililngNYC,

How did it go? Did you find a good spot and see a good show?

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 07-07-2011

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
We rafted up with two other boats on a mooring at the eastern edge of Horseshoe Harbor YC's field in Larchmont.
- About 1/3 NM from the fireworks barge run by Larchmont Yacht Club
- 3/4 NM from the launch point of New Rochelle's city display at Five Islands Park
- 1-1/2 NM from Mamaroneck Village's display at Harbor Island
- 2-1/2 NM from both Milton Point in Rye and---in the other direction---Glen Island in New Rochelle. Plus lots of other displays inland in Westchester.
And across Long Island Sound, ranging from 3 to 7 NM, at 9:40 pm we counted 13 separate concurrent displays on the Nassau County shoreline (Oyster Bay, Glen Cove, Port Washington, etc.). Of course, in the distance the NYC skyline was lit up by the Macy's display.
Only downside: the Admiral got a stiff neck from twisting to see one show after the other. Next time I'm installing a swivel chair in the cockpit for her.