Less expensive place to haul out?? (Close to NY or Long Island) - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Less expensive place to haul out?? (Close to NY or Long Island)

I'm planning to haul-out for 2 weeks to do some keel work, specifically re-barrier coating the top part of the iron keel "very near" where it meets the hull. Then she'll go back in the water and we'll be on our way.

Anyone know of an inexpensive place to do this on Long Island? Nearby would be ok too, like Stamford CT, the lower Hudson River, or Northern NJ.

Brewers Glen Cove wants $1000 ($20 a foot) for the haul in/out and blocking. Is there any place cheaper?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
You might try Spicer's Marina in Noank, CT. We hauled there a few years ago and I can't remember the cost but it seemed reasonable. They have a very good marine store there if you need to buy anything.
Old 09-29-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
You might try Spicer's Marina in Noank, CT. We hauled there a few years ago and I can't remember the cost but it seemed reasonable. They have a very good marine store there if you need to buy anything.
KS,

I'll call them today.

Good to know about the marine store too. I usually go to West Marine but it's 30 minutes from where we usually winter/haul-out.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Regards,
Brad
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 09-29-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Brad,
Maybe as far away from Garden City as Noank, CT but folks on the lower Hudson seem to use a DIY yard in Stony Point, NY. There is also the place in Tarrytown where Bubb2(Mike) keeps his boat - just not sure if they are set up to handle your 50' Bene.
index
I'd also check any of the non-Brewer's marinas from Manhassett to Huntington and even Port Jeff/Mt. Sinai. Brewer's has set the standard for high prices while buying up many of the independent yards.
Is your Bene 505 still out at MTK?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
You might try Manhasset Bay Shipyard and Manhasset Bay Marina.

I'm hauling out for the winter at the shipyard this year. Was in Glen Cove for the past two winters, but when Brewer's jacked up the price after buying them, it just wasn't worth the added drive time compared to Manhasset Bay Shipyard, which is much closer to home.

I hauled out for Irene at the marina. Manager was nice, but the owner tried to back out on hauling me out for the hurricane while I was on the way over there and after they said the day before that they would haul me. Not cool. They eventually hauled me, but it shouldn't go down that way. I did look at them for winter storage, but decided I didn't like the idea of a constant flow of late night partiers from La Motta's milling about my boat all winter.
Old 09-30-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Generally the LI South Shore, the Hudson, and New Jersey yards will be cheaper than the yards on Long Island Sound. Depends on if the convenience is worth the extra $.
Old 09-30-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Generally the LI South Shore, the Hudson, and New Jersey yards will be cheaper than the yards on Long Island Sound. Depends on if the convenience is worth the extra $.
Good advice Jim.

I have a solid weekend of work to do, so I won't need to commute that often. (Could stay overnight on board, and even take Monday off.) The extra weekend is in case of rain.

It would be worth it to save $500.

Regards,
Brad
Old 09-30-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
You might try Manhasset Bay Shipyard and Manhasset Bay Marina.

I'm hauling out for the winter at the shipyard this year. Was in Glen Cove for the past two winters, but when Brewer's jacked up the price after buying them, it just wasn't worth the added drive time compared to Manhasset Bay Shipyard, which is much closer to home.

I hauled out for Irene at the marina. Manager was nice, but the owner tried to back out on hauling me out for the hurricane while I was on the way over there and after they said the day before that they would haul me. Not cool. They eventually hauled me, but it shouldn't go down that way. I did look at them for winter storage, but decided I didn't like the idea of a constant flow of late night partiers from La Motta's milling about my boat all winter.

Plumbean,

You are the man!!!

MBSY is $300 to haul in/out and $3 for the hull cleaning. They apply bottom paint at $75/hour, but I don't really need a big bottom paint job, only some touch up at the waterline. Goerge there was very cordial. I actually can't wait to meet him.

That's $450 (plus a bit for painting), versus $1,000 for Brewers.

Thank you, thank you thank you!

Regards,
Brad
Old 09-30-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Happy to be of service. I actually haven't met George yet either, as I ended up dropping the winter storage contract off after hours. I've been in the yard a bunch though, as The Rigging Locker is located there. When will you be coming into port? I'm moored about 400 yards from the shipyard, but won't be hauling out until the end of October.

Best,

MD
Old 10-01-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
"Have not met George yet". Your both in for a treat!
Actually after initial meeting/impression...you will
be dealing with a highly competent, highly regarded
professional...who happens to dance to his own tune.
Brad, let me know when will you be bringing Summer Boost into
Manhasset Bay?
Hugo