Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012

swansong is on a distinguished road
Ny harbor

For the last 6 years I have been sailing from Melville harbor (where they built Stars and Stripes) to Nantucket (of course stopping along the way at several marinas. In late June I will be in NY harbor for 1 week. I am looking for insider sailing info in regards to that area. I have heard the tides in the sound can be 7 plus knots and doing some reading on Hell Gate area.
I am curious about cheap dockage, where there is good sailing without huge traffic (I have read that the Hudson is very busy with big boats all around) and other than the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island what other day sails would be good.
Lastly.....I am curious if anyone knows where I could leave the boat for a month (certainly not a Dennis Conners North Cove at 400 bucks a night). Ideally I will leave the boat and come back and sail it back to Newport area in late July.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
Re: Ny harbor

Get ready to pull out the checkbook if you want to be in the upper harbor. Liberty Harbor Marina in Jersey City offers monthly plans and is quite close to the PATH train into Manhattan. Liberty State Park is across the canal and a nicer facility with ferry service. No idea if they do monthly. Expect to pay $3/ft per night and any discount to be a bonus. Finally, if you aren't staying aboard, Newport Marina in Jersey City is a little cheaper than most and up for doing deals. However, it rocks and rolls there and I wouldn't want to sleep aboard. Check out Youtube for videos.

As for sailing itself, the upper harbor is busy but manageable. It's definitely worth hanging out for a few days. Sailing by the Statue of Liberty is quite a treat. For more reliable breeze, Raritan Bay gets the sea breeze before the Sound and has less traffic. However, the Sound has more destinations.

Tidal currents in the sound (other than the race itself) peak out at 2-ish. NY harbor easily sees 2-3 kts with every change. Use your copy of Eldridge and you'll be fine. Hell Gate is far more scary on paper than reality - just time it. If you're not going to make stops and the weather is favorable, it's well worth taking the outside route to avoid the currents.

Incidentally, my boat is currently in Melville and heading to Atlantic Highlands in a few weeks.

Last edited by pschoonveld; 05-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2012

Blissopia is on a distinguished road
Ny harbor

Great Kills Harbor in Staten Island could be a great option for you. It's location gives you a wide range of day sail options.
Contact the Richmond County Yacht Club. They manage the mooring field and tender service there.
Old 05-04-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

What pschoonveld said.
I'll add:

The maximum current in the NYC area is about 5 knots in Hell Gate and off Roosevelt Island on the East River - and that is at peak flow. Everywhere else is much lower but can slow you down considerably if you are against the current.

The words 'cheap' and 'dockage' are not usually used in the same sentence when describing marinas in NYC. On the cheap side would be the 79th St. Boat Basin where a mooring is $30/night: Marinas : West 79th Street Boat Basin : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation : NYC Parks
I've heard that it can be a bit bouncy there in some wind conditions if you are considering sleeping aboard.
NYC Parks also operates another mooring field down by Houston St. just north of the N. Cove Marina Hudson River Park - Moorings
I'm pretty sure they try to discourage transients but it is worth a try. The moorings down here are a little better protected then up at 79th St.
Liberty Landing Marina has a fuel dock and pump out: Home - Liberty Landing Marina
This marina is well protected but it ain't cheap as previously noted. I would stay here at least 1 night as it is a pretty nice location. It will be much quieter during the week then on weekends.
As for actually sailing in NY Harbor I find it gets to be a bit trying with all of the commercial traffic. The view is great though.
There are a few clubs in Raritan Bay as suggested. Not sure if they offer transient moorings. Home - Liberty Landing Marina
Search for 'Highlands marina nj' and you will find a few other places on Raritan Bay.

25 nm. up the Hudson is Nyack Boat Club which has cheaper transient moorings. Transient dockage in Tarrytown should be cheaper then NYC.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Swansong,

You've gotten good advice here. It's nice to sail in NY harbor for a day or two. But, you'll find that that's all you'll really need. The costs to stay longer, begin to mount up.

I wouldn't leave my boat unattended for a month in any marina on the river except perhaps liberty.
Newport Marina and Lincoln harbor are both very bouncy and tough on docklines and snubbers.

The Highlands are an option, they have a fast ferry to NY, Great Kills is another option, not sure of the transportation options there.

For your week on-board, I might consider Newport Marina..it's within walking distance of dozens of restaurants and a mall. It's next to the path station to NY. And there's a restaurant right on the premises with Stella Artois on tap. Greg is the Harbormaster there and he and his wife are always around and are nice folks. You'll probably get a better rate there than liberty..
After a week, you can decide if you're willing to leave it there longer unattended.

If you decide not to leave it there but want to stay around the area, you can check out the Highlands. Or Lockwoods Marina further into raritan bay. Lockwoods is the most protected hidey hole around. A short cab ride gets you to the Train station...NE corridor..

PS,

It just occured to me that you're from Rhode Island? Have you considered leaving it in the LI sound? City Island or Manhasset bay? You're only a two hour trip down the east river from NY harbor up there and you'll probably get much better rates and more sailing options.
Just a thought.

Last edited by Tempest; 05-06-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Tempest makes good point.
City Island close to NE corridor railroad, but not so protected mooring.
Manhasset Bay on Long Island side well protected bay to leave boat
and close to NYC. (35 minutes by commuter RR)
Many good close by destinations in Western Long Island Sound.
The wind is better the further east you go and moorings usually
more reasonable.

Tags
long island , ny harbor