SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Long Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/)
-   -   Dead Whale? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/88116-dead-whale.html)

WanderingStar 06-01-2012 01:11 PM

Dead Whale?

VHF report of a dead whale off Eaton's Neck yesterday. Anyone heard more?

HUGOSALT 06-04-2012 01:24 AM

Re: Dead Whale?

Was sailing few miles west Saturday, did not hear any chatter
wasn't really listening.
Will check with friends who sail out of Northport and Huntington.

Maine Sail 06-04-2012 10:15 AM

Trust me you don't want to get anywhere near a dead whale...:puke

When fishing for Blue Fin back in the late 80's we came across a huge dead humpback. The stench could be smelled for miles, if you were down wind of it.... They float and rot for weeks before they are picked apart & eventually sink..

smurphny 06-04-2012 11:41 AM

The only attraction around a dead whale are the large bitey things that come for dinner. Some famous shark captains have been accused of "finding" dead whales to fish around.:rolleyes:

HUGOSALT 06-06-2012 12:44 AM

I don't think anyone is going to go sniff out a dead whale anytime soon.
A whale in Long Island Sound that far west (dead or alive) would
be a fairly rare...and at the very least its existence worth confirming, after all a whale did sink the Nantucket whaler Essex!

SlowButSteady 06-06-2012 01:23 AM

When I was in grad-school a pretty good-sized bull blue whale washed up on the beach a few miles from campus. I'll never forget looking down on it from the cliffs, maybe 80 feet above it and a couple of hundred yards up the beach, contemplating with my friends how best to hike down there, when suddenly the wind shifted and all we could think about was putting as much distance between ourselves and that carcass as fast as possible. I've seen/smelled several dead whales since, but nothing comes anywhere close to the stench of that one.

norsearayder 06-06-2012 08:43 AM

found a dead whale in the gulf of maine in the early 90s,wiggled on up and stayed upwind as i aproached i saw a huge 14ft shark rub up against the arch just in front of the tail,he got about 3 foot out of water and then bit down trough the whale slashing his head from side to side and tore off a half pie shaped piece..i fished there a while trying to lure him to my offerrings....a whale whatch boat pulled up and grossed out 70 people...there were 100s of tuna birds in a thirty yard wide oil slick that extended to the horizon....i caught a few smaller sharks 8 or 9 feet but nevrr hooked up the monster.....the all time all tackle record for rod and reel was established in the 1980s a monster ...they used to kill pilot whales for chum,now both the great white and piolet whale are federally protected endangered species

SlowButSteady 06-06-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norsearayder (Post 881278)
...now both the great white and piolet whale are federally protected endangered species

White sharks, Carcharodon carcharias, is not on the US Endangered Species List. However, it is listed under Appendix II of CITES, making international trade in white shark products subject to permit.

Pilot whales, Globicephala spp., are also not on the US endangered Species List. However, they are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, which regulates all "take" of any marine mammals by US citizens, and in US waters.

norsearayder 06-07-2012 08:12 AM

i stand corrected,sorta like when i was watching a young bald eagle chewing a hole in a seal,both protected and the offical on site was nervous about removig seal[ public area] taking food away from a hungry predator and then how to properly dispose of it.i know some expert fly tiers that would give a lot for seal skin

anthonyjp87 06-16-2013 08:26 PM

I was in Long Beach last summer and a whale died and was swept on shore. Very sad.