Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

If you get down to Menemsha, have a bite at Larsen's Fish Market. They have great seafood that you can order and sit out next to the harbor. Menemsha is probably the closest you can get to what MV used to be all about before it became the focus of the rich and famous. A trip up to Gay Head for breakfast is also nice and has the best views on the Island.
Old 08-16-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

If I were you, and if you have the time, I suggest a detour up Narragansett Bay to visit the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol, RI. You can pick up a mooring for $35 right out front, and explore Bristol (a quaint little town) and the museum for a day. The museum is well worth the trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ehrlily,

Thanks for the info. We visited Bristol a few years ago in a C&C raftup. Our boat was one of the few which were made in Bristol before the fire destroyed the plant. Most we made in Niagra by the Lake. Next year when we re up we will try your suggestion.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-16-2012

Thanks smurphy

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-17-2012

We motorsailed 52 miles out of the hot Chesapeake, through the C&D Canal and are anchored behind Reedy Island waiting for the tide change to get to Cape May. Our last experience here was an keel wrap from our anchor rode. Current runs 3+ at peak ebb and flood. Upon one of your suggestions we rigged a Kellet on our 60 foot nylon anchor rode plus 60 feet of chain. It consists of an 8 lb mushroom anchor on a double Swivel lowered 15 ft below the water surface with the rode running through on of he swivels.

Current was amazing as we ate grilled NY strips, grilled adapragus and fresh buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes and saw all sorts of flotsam and jetsom rushing past us. including a bobbing beer keg.

Tomorrow fresh seafood in Cape May. Looks like we may be able to SA il most of this leg which is unusual fr the Delaware River. Just glad to escape the August heat of the Chessie to the cool confines of the LI Sound and further north.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-17-2012

We are on a slip in my old friend of 30 years who owns a marina in Cape May called Utches. In my 50+ trips down the Delaware River I have never had a better ride than today.

Up at 5 AM with the Salem nuke plant blinking at us I checked our homemade Kellet out and it the job perfectly. The tide turned twice after anchoring, with no keel wrap. Weighed anchor immediately, had a 2 knott current for one hour, then against us for 3.5 hours as we motorsailed south to meet the next ebb tide beginning. At that point the Delaware River opens up to Delaware Bay and it's famous earned reputation of the 6second interval square wave. This caused by the shallowness and long fetch can make for some of the nastiest place to be on opposing tide wind or any storm. We hit this area as the winds built to 20 kknotts steady from the SW (210 degrees). Heading at thatoint put us on a beam reach to the Cape May Canal and we took off as we unfurled our 150 at speeds averaging 8+ knots. (10+ SOG) We made record time to Cape May from Reedy Island (52 miles) in less than 7 hours total. Was a spray filled ride,but not rough as our angle cutting across the chop was perfect albet the spray.

We fit under the Canal bridge (55 feet) as our mast height with VHF is 54' so we docked and went to dinner with our friends. Nice sesame crusted tuna with Asian slaw. Big T storms
Forecasted for later on. Picked up some fresh swordfish steaks for tomorrow nights grill hopefully in Barnegt next to the lighthouse. 62 mile jaunt with winds on the nose forecast, with bailout in Atlantic City where I worked or 20 years if necessary.

Time for a movie and some good Pinot

Dave
jameswilson29 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-17-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Ok Dave.
I'll follow your progress and with some luck we can meet up on your way back down to the Chessy.
Nice report of your progress down Delaware Bay.
I was on a boat in Utches in June. The no-seeums or whatever were terrible around 0600 so we left for NYC. It took all day and night to get to NY Harbor. It was also exhausting, but fun. I'd rather break the trip up as you seem planning on doing.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Caleb, l shoot for the ride back. I would love o hang out for a beer or drink. We used to race a T27 with our first boat an Islander 28 and were very evenly matched. Always loved that model of Tartans. I have followed you posts and progress. Loved the bottom job you did a few years ago

Dave

Everybody has one:

Old 08-18-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Dave,
Following your progress last few days...if your looking to p.u.
a mooring in western LIS (less than 2 miles east of Throgs Neck Bridge, south of the Steppingstone light house) either when going or returning...let me know. Real handy if waiting for the East River current...or if time allows just stop by for a cold one.
Best,
Hugo
Old 08-18-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Dave: Can you provide GPS coordinates for the places you stop at? Starting with Barnegat Bay? I am tracking your trip on my charts and I am not very familiar with the areas.
It would be the next best thing to actually being with you.
Old 08-18-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Dave,

If you stop by Montauk, please let me know. We are at the south end of the lake.

I was going to see if I could leave a car out there to offer for your use, but some conflicts arose.

Regards,
Brad