Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

Minnie,

You are right. Even a couple of weeks isn't enough. Figure 36 hours from Block to Cape May, one day up the Delaware to the Sassarass River (12 hours), then 9 to Annapolis. We usually have 3+ weeks that's why we try and break it up and stop at places on the Sound we like like Port Jeffereson and Greenport this year on the way out this year on the way back Stonngton, Matiuk, New London, and Nortport. It can be a trek to get her to the Sound otherwise. This year our end goal is the Vineyard, but we will reevaluate once we hit Greenport.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

Northport? You've got to go to Maroni's.

The Vineyard is worth a visit, if you've never been. But it a very long trip around it. Unfortuantely, my fav is Edgartown which is the furthest. Getting around the chop and down into Edgartown harbor is time consuming. If you are short on time and the weather is good, consider outside Menemsha and take a cab into Edgartown. Long way from anchored boat, however. Vineyard Haven is the next stop, then Edgartown.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-20-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

This AM we left at 6 AM and looked or Tempest to wake him up. Thought we saw him moored by the breakwater.

Dave

Dave, grin, I was up at 5 am...I was on the West End of the field, right at the breakwater. There was a terrific little breeze this morning but everyone was snoring away below..so I let em sleep..

I came back up a little later with my coffee, Thought, I might have seen you sailing out along the hook heading north. Gorgeous day today, but the winds died early. The best sailing was in those pre-dawn hours. Did get a swim in though.

We stopped in Keyport on the way home for dinner at the Blue Rock Cafe...

Hope the weather keeps cooperating for you.

Last edited by Tempest; 08-20-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We are off of Hempstead Bay making for Port Jefferson and the Seatsuket Yacht Club mooring.
Dave

FWIW its Hempstead Harbour, not Hempstead Bay. If I knew you were going past I would have waved. Consider a stop there some time. My club has guest moorings, launch service, free ice for members and guests, and its only about a mile walk to downtown Glen Cove with some great restaurants.
Old 08-20-2012

That would have been us sailing north about 6. When we came down the fairway at 5:45 we scattered all the birds. It was your boat I saw. She's looking good. Classic Sabre . When I bought Haleakula it was between her and a Sabre 36. Both fit our needs and were performance cruisers with great speed and handling. The C&C surveyed better so that's where I went. I love the Sabres. Sabreman has a beautiful 38. Perfect boat.

Glad you ad a good swim. Our t rip north was. Great sail up to the Verrazano, motor sailed up the East with breakneck peeds over 9&19. With over 12 from the UN through Hallets to Rikers. Least the inmates were not catcalling my wife it the windows this time. One out on the Sound...dead flat. At 4 the wiind picked up put of the East t 10. Ed (Xort) was a lready anchored in the cove next to Port Jeff but we never SA him or he us. We will meet up later in Northport on our way back home next week late someday.

Tomorrow 48 miles to Greenport for a two day in a slip stopover. Then Block. Need to tart some laundry. When the laundry bag has more clothes thn both of our duffle it's time. Also need some fresh produce and bagels. Only have 1 watermelon left of the 3 we started with. Amazing how the feeh air makes you et fruit nd drink liquids.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-20-2012

Thanks Jim will consider that . Always wanted to stop in there. Sorry about the miss name

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-21-2012

We are in Greenport in the easiest most mundane Plum Gut crossing ever for us. 8 knots through after sailing the first 4houts with great wind to motorsailing. Town is great for a wo day layover. My wife is very happy and the Mitchel Marina is very nice. Will be nice to sleep late, and get some more fresh produce.

More later. Have to go get my daily lobster toll.

Dave
jameswilson29 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-21-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Spent a night in Greenport at Mitchel's on our cruise earlier this month. Liked it, especially the convenience to town. I'd go back.
Old 08-22-2012

Love Greenport. Nice place quaint town.

We have altered our plans for two reasons. One we want to only sail a few (4 hours each day before we put in ) and two, want to be close enough to be able to dash south or up the Conneticut River if the hurricane should turn up the coast

So tomorrow we are headed over to Montauk for two days. About a four or or so sail. Then to Stonington, Essex, Matiuk, and then back down the Sound to either Mt Siani. Will be in Northport on Tuesday to meet up with Brad ( Benne505) , Craig2, Ed and his wife (Xort). Then heading through the "gate" down the NJ coast.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-22-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Isaac is headed west...toward the keys last I looked. We will be enjoying a stationary high pressure system for the next 5 days....evening temps have been great for sleeping..You're getting some of the best weather of the summer.....enjoy!
Will wave on your trip home..