Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

Of course, Mattituck.
I've spent a night in there tied up to the town dock, way up at the head of the harbor. It was free but a bit noisy as it is next to the public launch ramp. I was there 10 years ago though. Sweet old village though. More small power boats then sail boats.
Dog leg entrance was a little tricky but we made it with only 3'6" draft. I wouldn't want to try getting in there after dark.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Re: Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

You will be good in Mattituck Creek with 4.6 ft. draft.
Have been in/out almost every year as we have family nearby.
When making 1st 90 degree to port...don't cut to close to port
as there is some shoaling..there should(?) be a green buoy.
When you get to the basin at the end of the creek there is good holding if you choose to anchor. Very protected but not a lot of room.
I have left my 30' boat on my 35# delta for a long day into night
unattended with no problem.
Approx 15 minute walk into nice little town. Love Lane nice stores.
If you are interested in the north fork vineyards, there are a number close by...but (I think)not close enough to walk.
Hear good things about Love Lane Kitchen but I have not eaten their...Old Mill Inn is literally on the creek about half way in on your starboard side red building, have not been since it has changed hands...was very good.
At end of creek in basin towards port is Mattamar Marina think they have pool very nice...used to have good italian restaurant but don't
know if it is still there. In front of you/slightly to starboard will be the town dock.
Enjoy,
Hugo
Old 08-27-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Oh yea...point of worthless information...the south end of
Mattituck creek is aout 1200-1500 feet from Peconic Bay...but
about a 40 mile sail around Orient Pt. and back!
Old 08-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
great info

Thanks Hugo for the great info. That was helpful and timelly

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-27-2012

Anchored back in Matituck. Came in at dead low tide to beat advancing T Storms on the Sound. We were thinking of going down to Port Jeff but the throng storms made us do the prudent thing. Beautiful anchorage reminds us of a couple of our favorites on the Chester or Wye River. Narrow shallow depths white knuncled the whole way in. Saw 4.8 and we draw 4.6. With. 5 foot tide change any other time wouldn't be so bad.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-28-2012

Heading to Northport to have dinner with Bene505, Craigtoo, Xort. Xort and we will sail together to Atlantic Highlands, then Barnegat Inlet.

Today coming out Matituck not quiet as nerve racking with it at mid tide depths 7 + in the shallow spots yesterday. First 4 hours today going through some rain and the front passage with winds gusting to 35 on the nose, steady 20 all day predicted on the nose. First real rin we have seen in two weeks. Weather has been seller.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-28-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Guys, I won't make it to dinner.

Regards,
Brad
Old 08-28-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Looks like your luck with the weather is going to continue. Next 4-5 days look great.

If you are off Hempstead Harbour tomorrow or the day after in the afternoon, look for a Cal 33 named "First Tracks". Expect to be out daysailing both days.
Old 08-28-2012

Jim, we will be passing Hempstead Harbor at 8AM. We have an express to catch at Hell Gate. Today was a tough travel day with winds on the nose all day. Great dinner with friends tonight. Tomorrow three boats will be headed down through the "gate" to Atlantic Highlands. Will be nice o have company to at least Barnegat on Tthursday
Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-29-2012

Just blew through Hell Gate at 11.5. Standing waves of 2ft at Harlem River, UN, Con Ed, and the Williamsburg Bridge. Lots ofFerry andGrey Line boats. Headed for Ambrose Light then Atlantic highlands for diesel, water and to anchor behind the breakwater for the night. The two boats who took the trip down the East River are a little ways behind. Beautiful day allowed us to get a final 15 knot broad reach down the LI Sound to Manhasset Bay, almost to the Throgs Neck Bridge.
If we knew a good place to anchor in Manesquan we would have continued.

Tomorrow Barnegat Inletl

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 08-29-2012 at 12:51 PM.