Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

We are leaving the Chesapeake for our annual trip north on Thursday after having almost all of out elctronics as well as engine panel and lights taken out by a lighning strike from the water 3 weeks ago moored in Annapolis visiting Sailnet friends (4arch, Captain Rizzo, Wingnwing)

Tenatively in a perfect world I will list some of our iteinerary. We choose to visit and vacation in small blocks rather than do the leap from Cape May to Block Island as we love some of the towns we visit on the Jersey Shore and the western LI Sound. There are 5 weather days built in to this as we dont have to be back in the Chesapeake until September 10. The long range weather looks good for the first week or so so god willing wer should be be staying close to our itinerary to Marhas Vineyard, after then who knows..haha.

We would love to meet any Sailnetters from up there if your shedules permit you to hang out for dinner one of the nights, have drinks if we are in a marina cloise by or raft up.

Also please make suggestions as to restaurants, things to visit etc. We have been to some of these ports in the last 7 years, but I would like to hear your perspective on them. In addition recommend other places to visit on the Sound in case we dont have to use any of our weather days. We would love to see new towns. We have been to Mystic, Newport ( not on the Sound), Old Saybroooke, Westport already.

8/16- Reedy Island Delaware River - Anchor
8/17- Cape May- Utsch Marina
8/18- Barnegat Light- Anchor
8/19- Atlantic Hihghlands-Mooring or Jersey City- Liberty Landing Marina
8/20- Port Jefferson-mooring- Seatauket Yacht Club
8/20- Greenport- City Dock Mitchel Park Marina
8/21- Greenport- City Dock Mitchel Park Marina
8/22- Block Island- Mooring or anchor
8/23- Marthas Vineyard- Oak Bluffs Marina
8/24- Marthas Vineyard- Oak Bluffs Marina
8/25- Cuttyhunk- Mooring or anchor
8/26- Poert Judith- Anchor or mooring
8/27- Stonington- Mooring
8/28- New London- Mooring
8/29- Matiuk- Anchor
8/30- Northport- Mooring -Seymors

Hope to meet up with some of you. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions

Dave
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 08-14-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road
Re: Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

Old Lyme , Essex , Fisher's Island

Last edited by ParadiseParrot; 08-14-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Marthas Vineyard, Greenport, Block Island, Port Jeff, Matiuk, Stonington, New Lo

I will try to keep an eye on your progress, if you are posting along the way. I am supposed to have a full boat of family over the weekend you will be nearby, so I'm not sure we can track you down. But, if we can, would love to say hello.

We found a great place on the Vineyard in Edgartown for dinner. I would say it is "smart casual". Food was outstanding!!

Detente wine bar and restaurant-Edgartown fine dining on Martha's Vineyard - Detente dining, refined

I'm not a huge fan of Oaks Bluff. You'll have to give their Brew Pub (name escapes me) a try. Its loud and fun and very popular.

If you've been before, I'm sure you've tried the somewhat famous Black Dog Tavern in Vineyard Haven. Not much to write home about, other than to have said you've been there. VH was a dry town, but now allows beer and wine service if you order food.

Have a great trip!!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-14-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Dave,

I recently bought two books in anticipation of eventually taking such a trip - "The Coasts of Summer" by Anthony Bailey and "A Visual Cruising Guide to the Southern New England Coast" by James Bildner, a sailor and helicopter pilot. "The Coasts of Summer" chronicles a sailor's voyage around that area and includes many interesting attractions. Reading the book along with the cruising guide and a nearby chart is helping me to decide on a list of most-likely ports of call.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 08-14-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Dave,

Sounds awesome! If you don't care about cholesterol have some clam cakes at George's in Point Judith. A local legend! If you want to explore Narragansett Bay try Jamestown, Wickford, Dutch Island (great anchorage, not much else). There was an article in the NYTimes last week about Cuttyhunk.

Joel
Old 08-14-2012

GMC is on a distinguished road

You don't have to wait for a hurricane to visit New Bedford. Maybe won't fit in your itinerary this year, but I encourage people to make the effort. Great atmosphere, friendly working harbor. Great food, great festivals. Sailor friendly. Historic section in town. Seaman's Bethel, whaling museum. So, it is certainly not a cute New England tourist spot, but it is special. If tempted, maybe leave OB and go through Woods Hole, go into NB, and then from NB to Cuttyhunk and then on your way. Check online for harbor promo info, they are really making an effort and doing a good job of it. Can you tell it is my home port? Have a good trip.
Old 08-14-2012

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

Atlantic Highlands vs. Liberty Landing === I just spent 5 days mooring at Atlantic Highlands (second time in 3 years) and have also done transient nights at Liberty landing.

Mooring at Atlantic Highlands was $50/night which includes launch service. The Yacht Club was welcoming and food there was good. If you want "city" action, you can catch the high speed ferry to NYC. Not sure of restaurants in town except "Memphis Pig Out" .. good if you like BBQ.

Liberty Landing is more "citified". A very nice new facility with showers and a good restaurant nearby. It looks like it is now $4/ft for transients. There were a couple of large party/tourist boats at the outside dock - loud for a while ....

Personally, I'd take the mooring at Atlantic Highlands.

Don't let the kids use the high powered binoculars just before you round Sandy Hook ;-)
Old 08-14-2012

Ron,

Two funny about the binoculars on the beach at the hook. Wehave satyed before on the moorings at the Yacht Club at the Highlands. Nice place. We have also stayed at Liberty Landing on a few trips when we want to go to NYC. They have a high speed fderry to the finanacial district at the dock. For us depends on our mood when we round Sandy Hook where we will stay on the way up.

On the way back if we dont head right out NY Bay with the tide to the Jersey Coast we will stay at Horshoe Cove right inside the Hook on the way to Atlantic Highlands. You have to watch for fish traps entering there so not a good place to come in after dark or a NW wind

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-14-2012

Thanks for the replys so far keep them coming. Minnie would be great if we can share a glass of wine or a beer.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Thanks for the replys so far keep them coming. Minnie would be great if we can share a glass of wine or a beer.

Dave
That would be great, or a margarita! Although, lately I've been in to Mt. Gay rum and tonic. May have to change my tagline. They seem to work too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.