Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013

ScottyG24 is on a distinguished road
Fishers Island

As part of our cruise to Greenport and Block Island we are planning on anchoring out at Fishers Island for a night.Does anybody have some intel on good spots around Fishers. I hear the Island has one restuarant and one pub. any info stories etc
is appreciated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Fishers Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG24 View Post
As part of our cruise to Greenport and Block Island we are planning on anchoring out at Fishers Island for a night.Does anybody have some intel on good spots around Fishers. I hear the Island has one restuarant and one pub. any info stories etc
is appreciated
West Harbor is the anchorage area, open to the north. Pequot Inn has the only restuarant. We found both times we have been there we felt we were outsiders intruding.

We dont stop there anymore and prefer Stonington now instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

West harbor has good holding just east of the channel, before you get to the inner harbor. Anything northerly will get rocky, but prevailing winds are protected. You can dinghy in to the Fisher's Island Yacht club and walk to the Pequot. Had a tremendous scallop special this past summer. You may see some of the wealthiest people on the planet, who belong to the club on the private East end, along with locals who just got off work and everyone in between. There is no where else to go. I have a lot of memories in there.

My family spent a lot of time on Fisher's Island when I was a kid. In fact, we just had a reunion there this past summer. It was our most common summer vacation spot as we knew many out there. The locals don't really want tourism, they vote down hotels, B&Bs, etc, all the time. However, if you're polite and friendly, they are welcoming. Approach it this way. You are on horseback in the wild west and come upon a remote town and would like to board your horse and get some rest. Come across like you are entitled to your vacation on Martha's Vineyard, as long as you pay, and they wont' even let you in. That's not what they are there for. Approach it like a polite and friendly stranger asking for permission to stay a short while and you will be welcomed and fed.

When I was a kid, the police would literally stand on the dock at each arriving ferry and interrogate people that arrived. Are you visiting someone? Do you have a place to stay? If they didn't like your answer, they would put you back on the ferry. That doesn't happen anymore, but it's their history.

If you can make it work, and anyone can, it is one of the most beautiful, peaceful places on earth. The upside to rejecting high volume tourism is noticeable and that's why they do it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-20-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I hope to visit Fishers Island on my trip to Rhode Island this summer, or next. While I can't offer any personal experience, I can recommend a beautiful book for your cruising:

"A Visual Cruising Guide to the Southern New England Coast" by James L. Bildner, a sailor and helicopter pilot, who took some great photos of Fishers Island and many other spots in N.E.

It is such a beautiful book, my 2 and 1/2 year old, likes to take it out of the bookcase and look at it, comparing the photos to the charts. Just the spectacular photos of Cuttyhunk are worth the price, even if you never cruise the area.
Old 03-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I hope to visit Fishers Island on my trip to Rhode Island this summer, or next......
Don't hesitate to ask, if we can be of any help.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-20-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that is very kind of you.
Old 03-20-2013

Cuttyhunk is really nice and unspoiled.

Minnie your experience with Fishers is one of the "insiders" as you alluded to. You spent time there growing up so I am sure the locals dont see you as an intruder. I can only tell you how we were treated and we were pleasent and took a positive approach.

We have been to many other places where the people are equally as wealthy such as Sag Harbor, Marthas Vineyard, Catalina Island California. Newport California, Bainbridge Island Seattle yet have a a much friendly attitude to those who travel there. Having money and wanting to keep the "common rift raft out" attitude dont always go hand in hand. I know other sailors also who have been treated similarly at Fishers Island. I like James Wilson was looking forward to visiting the island for many years. Been there now and done that.

Like I said we will avoid ( not that the they care) Fishers Island and go to Stonington when in that area. Stonington is where the Scallop fisherman are home based. They even have a very unique place to purchase scallops on the honor system and quite a quaint little town. I was amazed at all the 40+ HInkleys and Morris's moored at Dotsons where the mooorings are very close you so can brush your teeth in the reflection in the transom of the Hinkley moered in front of you.

Stonington Seafood Harvesters - Stonington, CT

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-20-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Really liked Stonington. Worth a walk about. Beautiful architecture as well. Deep and easy to get in and out.
Old 03-20-2013

ScottyG24 is on a distinguished road
Fishers Island

thanks for all that folks.maybe we will skip Fishers and stop at Stonington on our way east then
Old 03-20-2013

Check out the Water Street Cafe or Noah's for dinner. Stop by the scallop sales I posted previously and put a few lbs in your freezer on the boat to cook later. They are the best.

Dodsons has great mornings close there as the anchorage is kind of exposed. There restaurant is great for lunch.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-