SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I'm new here, and I'm wondering...

7K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
SO, has anyone here ever actually met someone thru these forums?
What is it that you hoping to find?

Friendship, companionship? (Platonic)
Dating?
Long-term relationship?
Marriage?

#3 ·
I've met a lot of nice people in person through this forum but I think if you're looking to "hook up" there are more targeted sites through which to do that. SailNet isn't a Craigs List and doesn't seek to be, and it isn't trying to compete with Match.com.

#14 ·
Actually I thought this was better than Craigs... less spam and you have an interest site... If I want to meet a sailor, I would think this is a much better place

But I just noticed a new user posting. She has a boat and sails in the Vermont area... but made the mistake of putting 'pirate' in her post...

I would have thought if a) you were single male and b) you are in the area.. that would be the perfect relationship choice but the jokes abound

#5 ·
No, no, I'm definitely not looking to 'hook-up'.

Just wondering about single sailors meeting single sailors....

Sure, I socialize at my local marina, most of the sailors there are married.

#10 ·
SO, has anyone here ever actually met someone thru these forums?
What is it that you hoping to find?

Friendship, companionship? (Platonic)
Dating?
Long-term relationship?
Marriage?
I think there is a single sailing group around you someplace but not sure - I was a member of one when I lived in Miami - so check around.

#13 · (Edited)
I've met several interesting people (singles and couples) on this site over the years who were either visiting or living in the SF Bay area. My first connections were responding to crew on their boats on the Chesapeake. We've sailed, communicated via email, become FB friends, etc. One person, who I consider my original sailing mentor, we recently got together for lunch when I was back visiting in Maryland after 5 years away. Though I'm a single woman, I was not seeking romance and these were all platonic interactions, which can be bit awkward trying to discern people's intentions. So it just depends on what you're looking for. Whether you're looking for a mate or just want to sail more with others, then I suggest joining Meet Ups, Single Sailors Association (they're nationwide) or an online dating forum with a profile that shows nothing but sailing pictures ;) Putting yourself on this sailing forum advertising for someone is just going to leave you open to the trolls who will have a lot of fun at your expense.

#18 ·
Susan, if I were 30 years younger, single and in much better physical health, I would have answered your original post several months ago. However, this is definitely not the case. I've been married to the same woman almost as long as you have been alive, she tolerates my boating activities, but would never consider living aboard, which I unsuccessfully tried to have her do on several occasions.

My best advice is to post this on Match Dot Com and you will likely get more dates than you wish. My son posted his information on Match, ended up dating 16 beautiful ladies, and ended up marrying #17 last summer. He could not be happier.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you are successful in your endeavors,

Gary :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.