SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

natural vegan, organic, veganic dude for similiar female sailor

12K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  Luckybeanz 
#1 · (Edited)
hi,

i feel like u are out there somewhere. im in the caribbean and open to sail wherever if we meet and connect. we can help each other out. i can clean naturally and prepare raw or cooked veganic meals and u can teach me the ropes of sailing.

i havent sailed yet but was a varsity athlete and enjoy peace and quiet and working hard for a good cause.

#2 ·
Hi VeganSailing,

I am vegetarian and my partner (Chuck) is vegan. It seems there aren't many other vegetarian/vegan sailors like us out there. We don't have our own boat yet, but we're looking. We're currently members of a sailing club and honing our skills out on San Francisco Bay and plan to begin circumnavigation in 3 years.

Where are you currently located? We love the idea of crewing with other plant-eaters like us. I wish you the best of luck finding your vegan mate. Believe me, they are out there! Don't give up. :)

Mary

#6 ·
I am surprised that you have not seen a many vegetarians living the cruising life. I have been a vegetarian since 1967 and have been amazed at the number of us Veg's of one type or another that I run into in recent years. I more rarely run into people who are full blown vegans or 'raw' and most of them are considerably younger than I am. So I would think that you should not have a hard time finding one in the cruising life. As it turns out a lot of cruisers of the 'go now-go simple' school go vegetarian or at least pescatarian during passages to avoid needing refrigeration.

Good grazing

#9 ·
It would be interesting to learn how a vegan can do a 20 to 30 day crossing on fresh produce, without a walk in fridge. I've not been able to keep much beyond cabbage for any length of time. We even have trouble managing fresh fruit and veges on a 7 day charter in the Grenadines, if the venders on the small islands can't supply them, which is often the case. We did one charter recently where we couldn't buy limes anywhere in Grenada all the way to St. Lucia. A gin and tonic just ain't a gin and tonic w/o fresh limes! It's a dastardly plot, I just know it is.

#19 ·
It is possible to have a reasonable well balanced diet on a variety of dried vegetable, dried fruit, dried mushrooms, dried seaweed, vegetable oils, nuts, grains, pulses, and root vegetable which store quite well in dry peat moss.

A weeds and seeds diet with a good collection of herbs and spices can be a joy, but I also like fresh fish, milk, cheeses and eggs.

#22 ·
Been a vegetarian since I was 17. I lived at times mostly on rice and beans, with garden weeds and greens as a salad on the side. If you can cook on a passage, a small pressure cooker filled with pre-soaked rice and beans will keep you fed and happy at minimum cost. There is so much variety of vegetarian products out there that will store on a boat for at least a year. Easy-peasy.

#25 · (Edited)
Dehydrated, vacuum packed, fresh fruit and veg are a great idea, even for an omnivore. I do like the organic trend, where it actually matters anyway. Some things do, some things don't. I think I'll call myself and omnivoranic, with slight processed tendencies. You know they make organic cheese doodles. :)

As an aside, I have a friend who is vegetarian and has, hands down, one of the worst diets I can imagine. Loaded with processed foods, imitation meat substitutes, sodium, sugars, etc. Obviously, not required to be vegetarian, but rather common.

#30 ·
I'm late to the party!

OP if you are still out there, keep looking! Veganism, as you know, is growing like mad.

I'm vegan and hoping to meet a vegan sailing mate of my own. I'd be glad to teach you sailing in exchange for your work in the galley!

Fair winds.....
Hey nice to hear from you. I would love to talk more. Do you have a personal email? are you female ?

#28 ·
Walking through my neighborhood supermarket, I saw a sign "vegan bouillon". This is a neighborhood supermarket , not a Whole Foods, that sells lots of unhealthy products loaded with ingredients such as corn syrup, salt, animal fats and many additives I don't know how to pronounce, so I was skeptical.

Looked at the ingredients list, nothing weird, maybe a bit high on sodium, USDA Organic, certified vegan by vegan.org whoever they are. OK I will give it a try.

I made lentil soup with carrots, onions, celery, brown lentils and a stock made with the bouillion. I was tempted to add some herbs and spices, but this was a test of the bouillon so nothing added, even salt and pepper.

This was an excellent lentil soup, maybe to much sodium, so next time same ingredients but half the bouillon than directions on the container. It was still a rich flavorful stock but closer to my preference for sodium.

"Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base" from superiortouch.com

#36 ·
This is the stuff I buy at Costco: Organic Vegetable Broth - Pacific Foods List of ingredients included, no citric acid.
Citric acid is indeed produced mostly by fermentation process using GMO bacteria (not black mold as some folks say) which has been engineered to convert sugars (both simple and complex) to citric acid.

#37 ·
kriss if you read that link i posted, u should see it uses both gmo corn and black mold as well as other harsh nasty chemicals. Traces of mercury is even found in some things. Sodium benzoate is poison as well and mixed with citric acid can form Benzene! Almost all synthetic chemicals in food or for other things are bad. This is why we should try to eat just pure, whole, local or home grown veganic food or good things packaged with none of those chemicals.

If that Bouillon doesn't have the citric acid then that's good :)

#38 · (Edited)
I'm a chemist by profession so I do not take everything posted on the internet at face value ;)
I have been a vegetarian since I was 17 and scrutinized more food labels than there are leaves on big oak trees in my yard.
And I have been growing food since I was a little kid.

#39 · (Edited)
I'm a chemist by profession so I do not take everything posted on the internet at face value ;)/QUOTE]

Good for you. Others would benefit from being equally discriminating in their media consumption.

Case in point, about the source for this black mold horror story, have a look at what TruthStreamMedia - RationalWiki says about it:

"TruthStreamMedia is a "news" website run by Aaron and Melissa *****. It promotes both conspiracy theories and pseudoscience, such as "bioengineering" vaccines[1] and "eugenicist" water.[2] They also seem to think that mind control is real[3], and other general bullsh*t."

'nuff said.

(we are getting pretty far away from sailing here but I could not let this uninformed bs stand)

#46 ·
Wow, great to hear there are other non animal eaters out there on the water.

Some of the comments here from animal eaters really do show a level of ignorance when it comes to diet. I've been veg for over 20 years and vegan for a year. I turned vegan whilst living in a van, http://luckybeanz.com/2016/10/09/2241/ , driving around Baja with no refrigeration. A plant based diet can be just as if not more complete than the alternative. There is a reason so many survive on beans and rice ? The world is changing though, an estimated 7% of brits now claim to be vegan and it is one of the fastest growing diets around, just as well since there is no way we can sustain a world with the amount of animal produce we have today.

I'm thinking of getting my own boat, I figured being vegan it would be difficult to find a boat to crew on but no three is hope. Still I'd like to take sailing to the next level and see just how sustainably I can do it, http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener.../80619-coronado-35-owners.html#/topics/316050. So getting my own boat to live and grow food on seems the best option. I'd love to hear from others out there on their vegan sailing experience.

#49 ·
Not Vegan but have gone Organic.

I suffer from what they call Protenemia so I have difficulty consuming enough protein on a purely vegetarian diet so have to include chicken and fish. Some docs feel the Protenemia was trigger by exposure to high levels of TriChloronated Solvents along with having a bucket of Polychlorinated Biphenyl dropped on me by a helper who lost his grip on the reservoir we were removing from a large switch for a 50 HP dust evacuator that was installed around the end of WWI and both chemicals are known to impact membranes in several organs along with being carcinogens.

Hanging fruits and vegetables in nets can help with certain types as long as the nets are secured so they don't bang about bruising the contents. On the farm there was a litany of fruits and veggies that we would store all winter in the sub basement in baskets, open slat crates or hanging with their stems braided. Hot peppers, tomatoes, grapes, plums, berries, etc can be sun dried in reasonably short time and last for months too. Be mindful that fruits and veggies can off gas as they age and if they are stored in a sealed bag or cupboard those gasses can cause them and the other produce around them to spoil more quickly.

There is also the option of the one month supply of dried vegan emergency foods that comes in the 3 to 5 gallon buckets that are becoming more main stream and are reasonably economical. Just because a boat is involved it does not have to be frightfully expensive. Of course extra fresh water has to be factored in to ensure that you are able to reconstitute the dried foods along with having enough fuel to heat it when a solar stove or oven is not practical.

I do take after my Dad in that I really do not like my fruits or raw vegetables cold from the refrigerator and prefer them at room temp. For breakfast I just had two of the Clementine Mandarin Oranges that I keep hanging in a net in the kitchen and they were just perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.