Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
I own and love my Mac 26 S.
Consider that a Mac is to a Camping Trailer as
A Island Packet is to a Motor Home
Both in price and performance.

I think the Mac IS the boat for enjoying sailing on Midwestern lakes (500 miles to the nearest real lake).

The Mac IS NOT the boat for real open ocean cruising.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dfly:You said:I am looking for my first boat and have a wife and three kids that I want to sail on the lakes here in Tennessee and to take to the caribbean. ...and that you didn't want to buy a second boat after you've learned to sail.1. Living aboard a 26 foot lightly built boat with 5 people is not realistic. Most people could not live as a couple aboard a 26 footer but some do...adding 3 kids is just not realistic...you need somethinng 35-40 ft....with good tankage and space for people and things.2. The Mac26 is not suitable for the Caribbean. Today's forcast: 20 knots out of the East with 6-8 ft. seas...a typical beautiful day that would be VERY uncomfortable on a Mac with 5 people aboard. Wait till a WINDY day comes along! Suggest you alter your thinking to a bigger/heavier boat..or decide on a firstboat/second boat strategy instead.
Old 07-02-2006

Anitabreeze is on a distinguished road
Sailed a Mac 25 for many years on the Chesapeake Bay with wife and two youngsters. Sailed very well and great for "gunk holeing" in rivers and small bays. I never tried ocean sailing past sight of land. Always had good service from manufacturer, as a first boat could not be beat.
Old 07-12-2006

cockneyboy is on a distinguished road
Talking

Dfly. I am in the process of buying a mac m26. I have been to 3 dealers and everyone of them have sailed to Bahamas and the dry Tortugas in their boats.I will definitely take my boat across Lake Erie when I get it, and it can get pretty rough on that lake. Did you ask Macgregor for a dvd yet for the M26 It will give you a better idea on the M26. Just got to the Macgregor web page for a free dvd.Cockneyboy.

Last edited by cockneyboy; 07-12-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2006
OceanBluzs

oceanbluzs is on a distinguished road
I have an 89D model and have sailed it from New Orleans to Tampa and back on a couple of occassions. After hurricaine season I plan on taking two months off and sailing down to the Keys from New Orleans. I've had it in 3-5 foot seas on the Gulf of Mexico without problems.

This boat was purchased from the original owner. Guess I can also add that I am female and the vacations to Tampa were done with 3 teenagers on board.

Cee
Old 08-15-2006

noscreenname is on a distinguished road
I think they get a bad rap because:
A: They're not much to look at.
B: They're pretty slow compared to many other designs.
C: They were originally marketed as a sail boat that you can water ski behind with a 50 HP motor.

I wouldn't own one because it doesnt suite my needs which is strictly racing. If I had a small family and needed to trailer a boat, I wouldn't hesitate. I know several people who own them and love the ability to Trailer to different areas.
On a separate note Their is a 50-60' Mac in our harbor I'm trying to find out the model. Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2006
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
The MacGregor 65 is rated PHRF at -49, yep -49. It's a fairly narrow fast cruising boat that still holds some passage records. They're working on a new 70 footer to replace the 65. Production on the 65 stopped in 1995 so the plant could meet the needs of the 26X. For you folks posting up about the 25's and 26D's, those are totally different boats than the 26X/M's. The 26X and M's are designed as a powersailer with most of the emphasis on POWER. The draw of these boats is the huge cabin, trailerability and the fact that with a 50HP motor and a power speed of 22 knots, you can literally run away from weather. Try that in a regular saliboat. However, as a sailing platform, they are not very good, which is why many purist rag on them so much. Especially the racing crowd.
Old 08-19-2006

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Buy and older Mac 26 and charter the carribean

I have owned a 1991 Mac 26 since it was almost new and I find it to be the best of all worlds for the trailer sailor.

It trailers with no ballast so you can pull it with a smaller tow vehicle and you can tow in hilly regions of the country.

The keel dissapears into the hull so launching and retrieving is easy. You don't have to back so far down the ramp like you do with a fixed keel. I'v seen a number of cars stuck in ramp slime because of that. I'v also seen many trailer wheels go off the end of the ramp because the boat needs 3 feet of water to float off the trailer. Also, a dissapearing keel makes beaching the boat possible.

The water ballast keeps the boat stable. I've sailed in winds over 30 kts and have never been knocked down. If it takes too much wind, it rounds head to wind, even if you fight it. I've crossed all of the great lakes and sailed the coast of Maine to the Florida Keys (in segments) and never felt that the boat wasn't up to the task.

I took my kids sailing with me (I'm harnessed, they in life jackets) on inland lakes since they were 3 years old. They tell me now that those were the best memories of their childhood. We swam off the boat,I cooked, I slept in the V berth, they in the aft berth.

In short, I don't believe there is a better family sailboat. If a boat is difficult to tow, launch, retrieve, and sail, you won't go sailing as often.
Old 10-12-2006

captjim46 is on a distinguished road
I recently purchased a 2004, 26M with a 50 HP 4 stroke Suzuki. As mentioned by someone earlier, the boat is lightly constructed (so it can be towed with a standard size vehicle), but it does use quality materials. The workmanship on my boat appears to be above average. When the water ballast is in, the boat is self righting, and there is enough floatation to make the boat unsinkable. Having downsized from a 32' full keel boat, I find it very desirable to park this boat behind my garage, rather than paying slip fees. With an eye on the weather, I would not hesitate to cruise the islands.
Old 10-12-2006
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkohatl
I don't know if you remember the movie, "The Flight of the Phoenix." It was about a plane crash in the African Wilderness and how a Toy Airplane Designer modifies the plane wreck's remnants into a flighable contraption(no more, no less).
The tension/denounement comes from Jimmy Stewart, who is a seasoned pilot because he just doesn't get the theory of aerodynamics: Flight is about weight, lift and drag whether a toy or a C5A(much less the new Airbus: super plane).
A very true statement ref the "Flight is about weight, lift and drag whether a toy or a C5A(much less the new Airbus: super plane)."
Did you know they actually flew the full sized "model" to make the movie? But it did kill the pilot. I thought the original was far better then the new movie.
Sorry about the interruption. I now return you to your regular programming....

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.