Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
It's a mammal thing, we're born xenophobes and we kill anything that is "different" just in case it might be a threat. Or edible.

And the MacG is different, intentionally built that way to address some problems like launching ramps and easy transport. But there are an awful lot of people happy with them, and that's what counts.

Thread drift:
" "The Flight of the Phoenix." ...how a Toy Airplane Designer ""
No no no! Speaking for the original version not the recent remake...the whole point--argued onscreen--was that the man designed *model* airplanes, not toys. A toy is a toy, he designed models that flew, and thus had to be designed according to the same aerodynamics as a larger ("real") plane. A very interesting classic movie which centers on human interactions, not special effects. Even if it sometimes is a bit plodding compared to a modern pace.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2006

jrmccormack is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Macgregor 26 owners bite back

Well folks, perhaps some constructive comment from someone who ACTUALLY owns a Macgregor 26M might not be amiss.

I sailed for around 10 years in the solent on an Etap 26 - great boat - but getting old in the tooth. I bought the first 26M to arrive in the UK in 2004 ( my boat was at the boat show that year ) Is it safe - is it stable I hear you shout! can't possibly be a good sailor as it can cruise at 18Kn with ballast.

Well I sail my Mac 26 all year round on some of the most changeable seas in the UK - off the west coast of scotland - I have used it flat calm to F6 and I can assure you that, with full ballast tanks, it is a good stable boat and great fun too. Why not check out my site www.braemor.co.uk if you wish to see more info on adapting the boat to our climes.

By the by - I do not see the Mac as the skoda of the boating world ( that would be the legends) more the VW Golf Gti.

Not a boat for old yauchties and armchair sailors, but one for families to have FUN in, is that not what this is all about?

Remember - next time you are pounding along in calm conditions at 5kn, hour after hour, trying and never appearing to get closer to port. The Mac owner is already ordering up his next pint and Moules Mariner in the pub - I will save you a seat. ( I have experienced both sides of the coin above by the way )

It is a compromise - but the benefits ( by far ) outweigh any sailing limitations and I can still outsail most heavy cruisers in an F3.

If you do fancy the Mac - try one first - then decide. It worked for me.
BlueH20 likes this.
Old 10-30-2006

corriganken is on a distinguished road
Hi !!! I have a 1998 26x . I love this boat but it is not built for off shore sailing . For inland lakes and coastal cruising it is ideal. 5 people is too many for anything more than overnite. Great boat for a beginner , very forgiving. Very stable with water ballast full. Will not sink .Very affordable also . This boat needs all the upgrades and equipment you can provide , for comfort and safety .You also need some training , you and your family. Ken
Old 11-29-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
The MacGregor is not a an offshore bluewater cruiser by any stretch and being the owner of a 26M I would not recommend it. On the other hand it is a very affordable everyman's boat that performs very adequately in coastal waters and inland lakes, it's intended use. It is a very versatile, production, price point boat that apeals to the middle income earner who wishes to get in some weekend sailing and perhaps week long adventures. Being trailerable makes it even more versatile and affordable. It is good value for the price and most owners are very satisfied with them. They are extremely voluminous, sail fairly well and with a 50hp outboard they will get you through most tidal currents and passes without having to wait for slack tide. There are thousands of them out there and they are very popular, those many owners cannot all be wrong. They are ideal for the San Juans & Gulf Islands in the Pacific Northwest where I sail. They serve their intended use well but they are not intended for blue water cruising. The view from my cockpit is the same as the view from the bigger boats. The MacGregor is a great first boat to learn on and go for short cruises of several days to a week in protected coastal waters.
Old 12-23-2006

grantar2 is on a distinguished road
I have the older Mac Venture 25 and don't feel at all at risk sailing the 30 miles to Catalina. That is actually what the boat was built for. The plant is here in Costa Mesa overlooking Newport Harbor and on a clear day from the roof of the factory you could see Catalina. I have had mine out is 4-6' seas with 1-2' wind waves and single handed it was no fun and I ran for home. Unfortunately I only make 6mph under power. none the less is a swell and moderate wind she is fine trailer sailor and I would put her anywhere I would put a Catalina 22 or Hunter 23. The Catalina 25 is a little better built than my boat. I have more than a dozen 25's 26D's and 26S and I don't see one that has significant signs of wear. Faded paint is the worst thing. Common sense is what you need most. You also don't really want more than two and maybe a small child on the 25 overnight. I would guess 2 adults and 2 small children for any of the 26s.
Old 01-29-2007

knee1 is on a distinguished road
I aquired a 2002 26x last May. This is my first boat. I learned to sail her on the Hudson River near The Tappan Zee Bridge all last summer.

Like any small craft, under power she will get kicked around with an empty ballast in a moderate chop. Fill the ballast and drop the keel a little and she handles much better.

My sailing experience has always been with a full ballast in a light to moderate wind (5 - 12 knots). Sometimes I wish I had a heavy larger boat however, when I compare the pros & cons of a Mac 26 I feel very satisfied with my purchase. It is economical to operate and maintain.

Overnights with my wife are fun and romantic. We will cruise up river and tie up at a marina with facilities (shore power, showers. ect).

I believe one must experience a Mac to know a Mac. If you don't experience one how can you make a judgement. I have had friends on my boat that are avid boaters. One is a sailor for over 40 years and the other a motor cruiser. They both thought the Mac was a great choice adn both had wonderful outings aboard.

One other thing. If any of you are considering a new Mac26M, please compare
the cabin and cockpit of the M to the older X. I did and found the X had a better cabin layout and a larger cockpit. Plus I bought a 4 year old boat and paid a little more than half of what is was new.
Old 02-28-2007

a1sailboats is on a distinguished road
Edited...take out an ad and disclose the fact that you are a dealer when you post here!
Old 06-03-2007

captjim46 is on a distinguished road
Talking After a 300 mile cruise.

I posted earlier on this thread, and would now like to update. My wife and I just returned from a group cruise of about 300 miles with the sailing club of Oriental, NC. (SCOO). Our 26M was the smallest of 24 boats, with the largest being a very nice Island Packet of about 44'. We traveled from Oriental to Ocrakoke Is. on the outer banks, then to Englehard, and on to Manteo, crossing the Pamlico sound 3 times on the outbound leg. Most of this portion of the trip was with either too little wind to sail, or too much wind right on the nose and 2-3' seas. We sailed when everyone else did, and had no problem keeping up with the fleet. Under power, with ballast in, I kept the 50 HP Suzuki under 3000 RPM. We were faster than everyone there except the Island Packet in the prevailing sea conditions. On the outbound leg of about 150 miles we burned 18 gal. of fuel. The plan for the trip back was to return via the ICW and the Alligator River. The forcast for the next 2 days is for 20-25 kt. winds with gust to 35 and thunderstorms. the group decided to ride out the weather in the Alligator River Marina. I called my son and had him bring the truck and trailer up. We slept in our own bed last night and will be able to make our mid week commitments.
There are a few changes we are going to make to our 26M, but all and all we think it is a great little boat.

Last edited by captjim46; 06-03-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2007

SecondWindMac25 is on a distinguished road
What are the few changes you'd recommend?

We're thinking seriously of buying a new 2007 Mac26 and were wondering if you'd be willing to share what changes you'd recommend making to the boat ?
Thanks !!
Old 08-16-2007
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
It depends ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondWindMac25 View Post
We're thinking seriously of buying a new 2007 Mac26 and were wondering if you'd be willing to share what changes you'd recommend making to the boat ?
Thanks !!
Think of the Mac 26M as a blank canvas. Any mods/upgrades that you make will reflect your personal needs/style. I have used mine as a day sailor so far and haven't been that concerned about installing the gear that would normally be found on a cruiser (maybe next year).

Get an outboard that will support your needs. Most people will tell you that a good four-stroke EFI that can swing a 14" prop is the way to go. 50 hp is just fine unless you plan to spend most of your time under power pulling people on water toys.

A good GPS chart plotter is a must if you plan on going out on any of the Great Lakes but not as important on inland lakes. A porta potty for the ladies is a standard addition. All lines lead aft to the cockpit is highly desirable. Same holds true for a VHF radio. (Fixed vs handheld)

Hank-on working jib vs. 150 Genoa on a furler is dependant on your level of sailing experience.

The basic cost of the boat is so low that anybody can get into sailing. The cost of the goodies can really climb if you just buy and install without verifying the need. There are a number of great dealers out their but I dougt you will find one that will more time with you before and after the sale than Bill Beers at Boats 4 Sail in Oconomowoc, WI. I'm too new to have an embedded URL so google boats4sail

I can't get more specific without knowing how and where you plan to sail the boat.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes