Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011
Macgregor 26 M Captain wo

falconxp is on a distinguished road
experience speaks

Just bought M26

Best trailer boat available unless you have a 1 ton tow vehicle or better yet a simi and flatbed
Drive ford Explorer = hope it will pull
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2011

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
Towing a Mac 26

I tow my 1992 Mac 26s with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so an Ford Explorer will be more than adequate, enjoy the new boat.

Ed Warren
Old 04-17-2011
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Used a Saturn Outlook, FWD, with trailer towing package (rated for 4,000#) and didn't have a problem. I used a Chevy PU K1500 4WD before that and will say the longer the wheelbase, the easier it handles at highway speeds with a crosswind. You shouldn't have a problem with your Explorer.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Old 10-26-2011

Silverstreak01 is on a distinguished road
Talking Funny

it cracks me up to read coments from non Mac owners.
Old 10-27-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak01 View Post
it cracks me up to read coments from non Mac owners.
I have seen the cracks too - right through the fibreglass. The chainplate corrosion was more disconcerting.
jameswilson29 likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-27-2012
Ali Baba

Alibaba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyrigger View Post

See my videos at Sailing videos, how to sail, learn to sail, rigging, sailboat rigging, sailing

Jeff Stagg MacX2284F898 "Three Suns" Roseville, CA USA
Hi jef..

I purchased your video about 1998. I owned one of the first mac26x hull #88.
I didnt care for the boats Sailing performance compared to my 1988 Mac 26d so I sold it, but ended up buying a 2000 new and improved 26x. I lLoved that boat. with the 50hp motor I would motor across lake Erie at 15-17 mph from Erie Pa To Long Point Canada is about 95 minutes. drop anchor for the nighgt an Sail into Canadian ports the next morning. I had thier Spinnaker and with Empty Ballast tanks and <10 mph wind I could Sail back to Erie Pa in about 5 hours. With highter Winds and waves I crossed Erie in 4 hours. With the planning Hull, 20 mph winds, 5 foot Erie swells I hit 11 mph with the spinnaker. I thought my GPs was malfunctiong, but after figuring out the time and distance I was surfing along at at least 10mph.

The Shallow draft with centerboard up is very convienent also. Just too be a show-off, I`1`ve run the boat up on the beach under full Sail. Only once did I get up on the sand too fa, so I simply dr pulled the Ballast drain up, it emptiyed itself and with a few volunteers we pushed the lightweight 26X back out in 1 foot of water where it floated.

I never crossed to the Bahama`s, but talkeed to many owners that made the trip. Most of the 26X or 26M making the trip Usually carry extra fuel. Motor full speed out of Florida and when about 20-25 miles from Bimini, hoist the Sails.

The #1 Advantag of a Mac Powersaile is the ability to make it to safe anchorage or to port when a storm is approaching. If your not to far off shore. I managed to out run a few weater fronts, but its not much fun trying to motor into big chopy waves.. You will get wet, and you have to slow down to about 5 mph to avoid slamming the hull or going airborne ower waves.
A few times I had to give up trying to motor into the Waves. The 50 hp motor makes it easy to travel with the waves to escape,

I would not recommend taking the Mac too far offshore in the Ocean, depending on the Weather and your fuel situation to return to shore if it should get too rough..

I doubt there is any other 25` Sailboats with as much living space

Critics say the Mac is not a real Sailboat.. I disagree.. Ive sailed on a lot of Sailboats, most may Sail Faster, but The mac Still gives you all the trills of Sailing, Tacking Gyping surfing etc etc. The 50 Hp motor spoiled me.. I would plan more long gtrips knowing I had the safety of the motor. One of my favorite plans was to fill both 6 gallon tanks. Motor full speed directly out into the wind (Or forcasted wind) After about 25 -30 mimles when I ran out of Gas. I would put up the Main and Spinnaker and Sail back.

It was also fun for the kids to get towed in my Cheap Raft, pretending they were water siking or wakeboarding..
prishi likes this.
Old 01-27-2012
Ali Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have seen the cracks too - right through the fibreglass. The chainplate corrosion was more disconcerting.
I never had any problems with my 3 macs, 88 26-D 9926X, 2000 26X but I usually trailered them around and only had them in the water on on weekends, I would only keep them in the marina for 3 or 4 months Maxium per year. I would then tow them home and keep them under my deck for the witner and spring I never put them in Salt Water, but I did put them in the Polluted OHIo River..?/

I sold my 1999 26X to a neighbor. He towed it to the Florida Keys. Just as he was about to launch it, his wife noticed that the Right trailer tire had grinded a hole thru the hull. MACgregore Trailers are the worse. He bought a fibergalass reparir kit, patched the hole and Sailed it for 2 weeks. He had to have the Axel bearings and mount replacied before he drove back to Ohio.

MY 1988 26D Caugnt in rought water off the beach in ERie Pa with lightning bolts all around me, I decided to just run the boat up on th beach . a few large waves were impossible to steer and I hit the end of the break wall. The hull rode up over the massive rock. I made ti to the beach, Convince I had a hole. After the storm, we pushed the boat back out in the lake, I didnt see any water in the bildge.. I returned to the dock and put the boat on the trailer. The rock had scratched off about 1/4' of gel-coat about 10 ` long. from inside the bildge you could see light wher it was scratched. I bought iEpoxy and filled in the void. That was about 20 years ago. The boat is still Sailing. Last I heard it was on a small Inland Lake in NewYork..
Old 01-28-2012
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Interesting observation

I know this is an old post... but curious if you could actually give us some details? Which model, age, location of damage, cause of damage, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Old 01-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Whether you think this image as derisive or supportive says a great deal about your point of view. I don't sail a Mac 26X/M but I have found myself sailing quite often WITH them, while many, many, other boats in our marina STAY in our marina. A better boat that goes unsailed is an ineffective boat.
Just like the spork, a Mac is effective, if not perfect.
sturmkatze and prishi like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2012
Ali Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
[ while many, many, other boats in our marina STAY in our marina. A better boat that goes unsailed is an ineffective boat.
Just like the spork, a Mac is effective, if not perfect.
Good pooint..[When I was at a large Marina in Erie Pa. i couldnt help but notice that most of the large expensive Sailboats and motor baots never moved from thier dock..

It was amazig that with about 500 boats in the marinna, only 3 toilets and 3 shower stalls, 3 proopane grills, I never watied more than a few minutes to use them.. After labor day wekend until the end of October ( Best sailing) I barely saw any one at the docks..

This has nothing to do with Macgregor Sailoboats. many of the Mac 26`s docked at other Marina`s usually sat Idle like the other Sailboats and motorbopats. I was a serious boater. when I got to the Marina, I would untie the boat and go out into the lake no matter what the weather..

One of the reason I would use my boat more than others is that I didnt have antifouling paint. I would make a point to take the boat to the beach or shallow sandbar to jump into the water and wipe of the slime before it got out of controll.. I did notice my 26X Sailed and motored much better with a clean bottom. amazed that I had beat a Catralina 30 n a 20 mile cruise to New York, I found that the Cat-30 had sat for over 45 dys in dock and grown about 1/2' Alge on its hull. I lent the guy my Long handle brush and actually helped him clean off most of the scum.. He beat me bak to Erie pa.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.