Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006

dflyin1 is on a distinguished road
Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's

I am a new sailor having never sailed other than in the navy with no sailboat experience. Why all the fuss about Macgregor's? I have researched different designs on the net and it seems to be pretty good for an all around boat. That being said There seems to be an incredible hatred for it among regular sailboat owners. At first it seemed as though it was a dislike but the more comments I read it seems that there is an inherent prejudice against this boat. I am looking for my first boat and have a wife and three kids that I want to sail on the lakes here in Tennessee and to take to the caribbean. Is this a good choice? It seems to have everything I have been looking for plenty of room etc.

Any advice would be appreciated
prishi likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dfly... I think they have a bad rap because they were built very lightly and sold very cheaply. I would think one that surveyed well would be fine for Tenessee Lakes but I would NEVER take one offshore. Suggest you pay for a god survey before buying and have fun on the lakes before you get the right boat for the Caribe. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2006

dflyin1 is on a distinguished road
thanks for the info. I have not seen the Macgregor except online. I definately want a boat that is a capable and stable one. I am just now in the process of looking for a boat. What had attracted me was the roominess and versatility. Safety is paramoount and after hearing your comment I am leary of even considering one at all. I am not rich and what ever boat I buy will probably be the one that I have to keep for quit a long time. What I want is something that is trailerable if possible but big enough for a family of 5 to cruise the caribbean and the northern part of south america. (i.e a good blue water boat). It doesnt have to be trailerable necessarily by auto as I have a rig available if necessary. I.e flat bed long trailer. but it would be a last resort and only once a year or so. any advice or your personall preferences would be very helpful
Old 04-21-2006

bigsarg1 is on a distinguished road
26 X

I had a 1999 26x up until last Aug. I sailed it in the Gulf near Panama City, Fl. and then shiped it to Hawaii. This type of boat is like a cork on the ocean. It is more of a power boat than a sail boat. And, at that it is questionable. In a lake and small bays it sails OK. But again you have to motor mostly. The quality of materials are good, the workmanship is also good. The ability to modify the interior is very easy. But for the price you can find a better stronger boat. I would never have taken mine more that a mile or so from land. Again it was like being a cork bobbing around and not really moving in the right direction in the Gulf/Pacific Ocean.
Old 05-05-2006

Ross (CA) is on a distinguished road
26m

I have never sailed in a Mac D,S,or X... But I own an M, and have a great time with it! We (Wife, 2 Daughters, and I) frequently take it to Catalina Island; which is about 22+ miles offshore.

With the low price and high versatility, I think it would be hard to find a better boat.

Just my opinion
prishi likes this.
Old 05-08-2006

mallardjusted is on a distinguished road
I too have been looking at the MacGregor powersailors for the last several years. I've had over 20 years in the coast guard reserves, and owned a 27' powerboat for 8 years, and still have a 17 duckboat. I've finally made the decision that they are a good boat for the money, and will be buying one late this season or early next season. I've spent hundreds of hours reading through owner's reviews and input, and one site that gives a good idea about traveling with 5 on board through the San Juans and Canada thru some nasty weather is: http://www.ddunn.org/

Select "our epic adventure", and spend some time. He has documented his travelings very well.

Matt
prishi likes this.
Old 05-18-2006

bkohatl is on a distinguished road
I don't know if you remember the movie, "The Flight of the Phoenix." It was about a plane crash in the African Wilderness and how a Toy Airplane Designer modifies the plane wreck's remnants into a flighable contraption(no more, no less).
The tension/denounement comes from Jimmy Stewart, who is a seasoned pilot because he just doesn't get the theory of aerodynamics: Flight is about weight, lift and drag whether a toy or a C5A(much less the new Airbus: super plane).
Macgregor floats because of buoyancy. How she handles seems acceptable to good from what I've read and she can make "incredible" speed for a a sailboat. It can't do everything, but it's comfortable and sailable and in a "perfect storm" it can get you the hell out of there.
She can sail to Catalina or the Bahamas from Florida as long as you sail intelligently, which would seem to apply anytime you are in a boat whether sail or motorized.
Not perfect, but an acceptable compromise, which seems especially acceptible to a novice earning their water-wings.
Old 05-20-2006

duchie is on a distinguished road
I have a MacGrecor 2-24 and bought a Shaefer furling #500 (Snapfurl) Did anyone ever install one on his/her boat? ( Boat is from 1973 or there about) hull # 56. The fact that the eye of the jibstay and the shif(or block) of the halyard are side by side worries me a little. Info would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2006

island boy is on a distinguished road
they aren't ALL MacGregors

but most are MacGregors - venture 22's, 24's, MacGregor 25's, 26's, and X's and M's (the powersailors).

http://www.conchcruisers.net/

They take 'em to bimini and the Bahamas quite a bit.

Both water and lead ballasted boats have made the trip across the Gulf Stream. It's neat 'cuz they can sail w/ the dagger or center board up, in <2' of water - and beach them on the remote beaches there. Way cool, crazy to see a sailboat beached like a powerboat.

Check 'em out.

Island Boy
The Following User Says Thank You to island boy For This Useful Post:
Ishtime Sailor (11-29-2013)
Old 06-04-2006

speedyrigger is on a distinguished road
I sail a MacX, 1998, mostly on lakes, and a few times on San Francisco Bay. The boat handles well under sail up to about twenty knots of wind, and at that, under jib alone. Under fifteen knots, I am full mainsail and 150 genoa all the way, with ballast (water filled bottom tanks, 1400 lbs). At ten knots or less, no ballast, just a fast boat, not as fast as a HobieCat of course.

I would never consider taking the boat to Hawaii or the Carib, it's too light. On the other hand, there are those with a 12 footer that did just that, so okay, I drive a Volvo. I will say that under power with ballast, the boat handles amazingly better than any other sailboats I've seen, in 40 knot blows. There is no record of a dismasting or sinking of a MacX, unlike any blue water boat. I've sailed past a three hundred thousand dollar sailboat on San Francisco Bay. I've motored past a Mastercraft ski boat towing a wakeboarder. I've taught my sons to wakeboard behind my boat. I have personally waterskiied behind my sailboat.

Has the best living space and versatility of any sailboat at twenty-six feet.

Period.

See my videos at www.speedyrigger.com

Jeff Stagg MacX2284F898 "Three Suns" Roseville, CA USA