Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Google it. I recall a photo essay of the process by a poster over at sailboatowners when he did his swing keel. Mine is non glassed and rusty but still in good shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2009

sailormac2 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, done a lot of webcrawling and did find some interesting approaches that different Venture owners have used. Main challenge is getting the keel off and putting it back on! Most of the DYI guys had lots of space to build overhead slings or put the boat on blocks. Unfortunately I do not have the room for that so I may just have to take it to the dreaded shipyard with a travel lift. I'm getting a quote from a local yard tomorrow..should be interesting. Anyway thanks for the response, btw your link is not active, did you sell the boat already?
Old 04-16-2010

dangh is on a distinguished road
keel repair

Dear Woodenu,
I have a 1969 Mac Venture 17 with a swing keel. I'm interested in the process you used to repair yours. How did you remold the fiberglass resin around the metal keel? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-19-2010

Gorlog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Gorlog
You might be able to go to a foundry (if you can find one fairly localy)and get a cast iron duplicate for cheaper than you may first think, I suppose it would then have to be drilled and reamed to size, or even have bushings installed where it's pivot point is. Finishing it with a Zinc Chromate Primer, follwed by an Acrylic high soilds paint coating, followed by an an acrylic finish paint and finaly a clear coat. At least thats my vision of it. I cant say I'm looking forward to one of the many impending disasters which aparently await the keel on my 21' Venture either, when I get her sailing that is, mabey I go ahead and repaint it now, mabey not, well whatever you do - Goodluck
Old 04-19-2010

dangh is on a distinguished road
'69 Mac Venture 17 keel repair

Thanks for your reply, Gorlog. I talked to the folks @ Interlux & they said I could put the West Marine 105 directly on the metal, once the metal is cleaned to a bright finish. I did the best I could, as there were pockets of rust on the steel part of the keel that attaches to the lead portion. Will coat with a couple more coats, then glass, bondo, fair, seal, prime & paint. Hope it works.
Thanks again for yur input,
Dan
Old 02-03-2011

chrisrohrer is on a distinguished road
I have done this repair on my Mac with great results... I stripped the keel down, used a two part etching primer to prime it. The next step was epoxy the whole thing once over, then onto the 2 part foam to fill and fair. Last was several coats of epoxy and glass, with sanding in between... A bit of bottom paint, and presto, back into the boat... Check out my pictures here..
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ventur...67636/pic/list
Old 03-07-2011

sophie14 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up macgregor keel

hello guys. I'm parting out a mac/venture 22. I have keel and all other hard parts including trailer, mast and boom, spinnaker pole, and pop top. all are for sale for decent offers. call mark at 4407770375 between 10am and 10pm EST. P.s. If you have a damaged hull call me also.