Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007

storywritr is on a distinguished road
tacking in choppy conditions

Everything you need to know has already been said above.
Reduced sail helps, and gybing is to be prefered when single handing, I"ve found.
In addition, prepare for wind lulls or reversals when the wind and waves get up to 3 or 4 feet. I always leave my motor down in such conditions, and when sailing in narrow channels, or heavy traffic, ready to get me out of trouble with the turn of a key. the motor also acts like a third rudder when the waves are on the quarter. When the ride gets too uncomfortable for you or crew, furl sail, turn the key and motor back, it's the prudent thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2007

taandel is on a distinguished road
I'll have to agree with risailor99 -- getting used to tacking a very light sailboat takes some practice and pesistance. I struggled with my '73 V224 the first season, read about how to set up standing rigging and tacking in the off season, then with some practice, got it down in season 2. In sailing with some friends on a 36 Catalina - I find is simple to tack in the bigger boat.
Old 09-03-2007

gregpecaut is on a distinguished road
High Seas

It's already been said about the boat being light and the seas stopping their forward motion, however, if you keep the jib sheeted in it will back wind and help bring the bow around. Also if you move some weight forward in the boat in these conditions it will come about better. I sail Lake Michigan all the time and we get some wind up here. As far as a storm jib goes, you can make a small one yourself. It will be flat, with very little drive, but you want it mostly for balance, not drive. I just used 3 yards of cotton canvas to make mine. Bought the hanks, put a good heavy hem around it and used the material I had cut off to double around the tack, head and clew. I did a button stitch around the holes where I put the grommets, then some sewing glue then the brass grommets. Same at where my 5 hanks went in. Cost about $70. It would be a lot less if you can find some used hanks. Adding some weight down low and forward will make her sail much better in these conditions. Just bring another cooler of beer along, and stick it up by the vee berth.
Old 02-04-2009

irayone is on a distinguished road
Hi all I was looking to purchase a Macgregor 26 to sail around the channel Islands catalina etc. For the money and trailerability is this the best boat?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.