Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009

MiniTransat is on a distinguished road
*BURP* excuse my rum... wow you guys still on this thread? I posted this thread 20 hours ago... get a life people! If your posting a post of me about replying to an old post, you are adding to the clutter. obviously when I did a search on Macgregors that was the last posts about Macs... Last time I checked, the internet is comparable to an ocean, there is a vast space out there, sorry for causing you to change your course... hmmm maybe we all had a little to much rum tonight. Happy sailings =)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yo US - lighten up dude. Seriously. Threads don't die. If someone is interested in the subject and is willing to comment on it - it lives. No matter how long it's been. Who gives a damn?

Mini - blow the above post off. Starting a new thread just for the sake of not offending some weird "rule" that makes no sense anyway is silly. I don't know who came up with that one. But this is a forum where people talk about sailing - not try to earn a blue blazer from the Proper Forum Rules Society.

Have fun, dude.
Fine with me. I was just trying to save him from getting a nasty slap from someone who may be much less understanding whether it's on this board or elsewhere. Although many of the real board "rules" guys have moved on, there are still some out there.

How many times have we seen someone give advice on something like paint application 3 years after the OP painted his boat? Does it make sense to leave them flailing about in message board limbo, or should we point out that they are answering (or commenting on) 3 or 5 year old threads? I think it's better to bring them around to more current conversations so we can all benefit.

I was just trying to gently bring him around to the current year, and current conversation, instead of letting him beat a dead horse by himself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-09-2009
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
"Punishment"

When I was made reference to "punishment" I was being sarcastic. Darn, perhaps a would have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
No one is bent out of shape, nor has anyone except you suggested any punishment for floating an old thread. Generally speaking, when an old thread is floated, the "offender" (as you put it) answers a question or makes a comment to someone who hasn't been seen around here in a very long time. This is just basic message board etiquette that is not always obvious to the new poster. If someone doesn't point it out to the new poster, odds are that he will continue to dredge up 5 year old threads, and clog the board with old news. Inevitably someone will tire of seeing all of these old threads floating up, and will be much more harsh than I was. I thought I was pretty nice about it.

Sometimes there are good reasons to float an old thread. For instance, if someone is planning on taking a long cruise and posts questions about the planned cruise. Upon returning from the cruise, the original poster may re-float the thread to report on what happened. That would be perfectly acceptable, and even desirable. For someone else to float that same thread, and give advice to the original poster about the planned cruise 2 years after the departure date does little good for anyone. I've seen this scenario played out numerous times.
Old 09-10-2009

imzens is on a distinguished road
I'm grateful for anything that lands in my mailbox from this forum no matter how old since there are so few posts. Where have all the Mac owners gone???
Old 09-10-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniTransat View Post
*BURP* excuse my rum... wow you guys still on this thread? I posted this thread 20 hours ago... get a life people! If your posting a post of me about replying to an old post, you are adding to the clutter. obviously when I did a search on Macgregors that was the last posts about Macs... Last time I checked, the internet is comparable to an ocean, there is a vast space out there, sorry for causing you to change your course... hmmm maybe we all had a little to much rum tonight. Happy sailings =)
Heh-heh. It's YOUR DAMN FAULT MINI! You drunken MacSailor!

Now - US...
Quote:
Fine with me. I was just trying to save him from getting a nasty slap from someone who may be much less understanding whether it's on this board or elsewhere.
That's the point. Those who are "much less understanding" are much more wrong. This whole old-thread notion is ludicrous.

If this really is the reasoning behind it...

Quote:
If someone doesn't point it out to the new poster, odds are that he will continue to dredge up 5 year old threads, and clog the board with old news.
...are you serious? Are we really running the danger of clogging this board with "old news"?

Look a forum is a conversation - not a news bulletin board. That being the case, anyone should feel free to talk about anything they want to talk about regarding sailing. There should be as few rules as possible. And the mods here do a great job of creating that environment.

I think that's precisely what makes Sailnet much more fun than SA or CF. It's got the edgy, fun irreverence of SA without the continual profanity and newb slamming, and it's got a tremendous wealth of salts and experience without the stodginess of CF. It's a perfect mix...IF people don't start trying to enforce goofy-ass etiquette that makes no sense.

The thing the "rulesters" always seemed to forget is that, as mini said, most people find their way into threads from a Google search. Now think about that for a minute. This means that the "offender" is actually SEARCHING for information on the subject. THEY'RE DOING THEIR RESEARCH! And that research leads them here.

At that point, for anyone here to expect them to know (or care) about some old-thread rule is ridiculous. And for people here to slap them on the hand over it is about as uncool as it gets.

If you're really trying to save the newb from being slapped for some goofy "rule infraction" - slap the slappers, not the newb.

ON THE OTHER HAND...your point about the painting has some validity (not as much because if the person is giving good advice it's a learning opportunity for those of us that might come across the thread via Google). But take crewing or a boat sale for instance where the OP is 7 years old and the poster is responding, hoping to hear something back from the OP. You have a case there. But it doesn't require a hand slap. Look at JohnP's posts for the right way to do it.

At the end of the day, either choose to join in the conversation with newbs or move on. It's really not that hard. When newbs feel welcome - they'll join. When they don't - they won't. And I'm pretty sure a growing forum is always a good forum.
Sky Clipper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-10-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2009

aimee4838 is on a distinguished road
replacement helm for '99 Mac 26x

Hey out there! Does anyone know what helm I should be looking for to replace the original one on my dad's Macgregor 26x? Apparently Teleflex has taken over Morse and the two helms that have been sold to me do not fit in the steering pedestal. A little frustrated at this point, but I suppose that's what fixing things is all about. The recent one that DIDN"T fit is the Teleflex SAFE-T QUICK CONNECT HELM QC 5094single.

Aimee
Old 09-20-2009

defrich is on a distinguished road
Mac

Bravo Zulu Smack Daddy!

Blue Skies...Richard
Old 09-20-2009

Ahem. Anyone mind if I interrupt for a sec?

Well, I don't mean to be rude... I mean I see you guys are busy discussing important forum etiquette and I surely (and obviously) don't know the first thing about it but... does anyone know which helm will fit in the Mac 26x (1999)? What about the Teleflex nfb ss132 Safe-T II? If I am not asking in the right "thread" feel free to redirect me with VERY CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS as I am not computer literate at all.

Thanks

Aimee.

And Bravo Smack Daddy to you as well.
Old 09-20-2009
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Help

Although someone on this forum is likely to be able to answer your question, why not call MacGregor? Another source is Blue Water Yachts, they are a factory authorized parts supplier I believe.
MacGregor 26 Sailboat - Macgregor 26M sailboat Information - Your full service Macgregor dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee4838 View Post
Well, I don't mean to be rude... I mean I see you guys are busy discussing important forum etiquette and I surely (and obviously) don't know the first thing about it but... does anyone know which helm will fit in the Mac 26x (1999)? What about the Teleflex nfb ss132 Safe-T II? If I am not asking in the right "thread" feel free to redirect me with VERY CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS as I am not computer literate at all.

Thanks

Aimee.

And Bravo Smack Daddy to you as well.
Old 09-21-2009

thanks

yes, I am just being impatient as nothing is open on a Sunday. I shall get on the horn during the week and ask a few sources to see if they all say the same thing and go with that...unless someone out there has replaced their steering? I have read that it needs to be done every 5 years with these boats.
Aimee