Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006

jrmccormack is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Mac 26M owners bite back

Hello and enjoy the thread -

Why are other boat owners so critical of the Mac 26M? A good question there and a simple answer perhaps. ( Change is painful )

Perhaps some constructive comment from someone who actually owns a Macgregor 26M might be useful.

I sailed for around 10 years in the solent on an Etap 26 - great boat - but getting old in the tooth. I bought the first 26M to arrive in the UK in 2004 ( my boat was at the Southampton boat show that year ) Is it safe - is it stable I hear you shout! can't possibly be a good sailor as it can cruise at 15Kn with ballast.

Well I sail my Mac 26 all year round on some of the most changeable seas in the UK - off the west coast of scotland - I have used it flat calm to F6 and I can assure you that, with full ballast tanks, it is a good stable boat and great fun too. Why not check out my site www.braemor.co.uk if you wish to see more info on adapting the boat to our climes.

By the by - I do not see the Mac as the skoda of the boating world as some folks would say ( that would be the legends) more the VW Golf Gti.

Not a boat for old yauchties and armchair sailors, but one for families to have FUN in, is that not what this is all about?

Remember - next time you are pounding along in calm conditions at 5kn, hour after hour, trying and never appearing to get closer to port. The Mac owner is already ordering up his next pint and Moules Mariner in the pub - I will save you a seat. ( I have experienced both sides of the coin above by the way )

It is a compromise - but the benefits ( by far ) outweigh any sailing limitations and I can still outsail most heavy cruisers in an F3.

If you do fancy the Mac - try one first - then decide. It worked for me.

All the best and good sailing - johnmac "Taiesha"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2006

foxglove is on a distinguished road
I've had a Mac 26 for 14 years and love it

I think the Mac 26 (mine is the old single rudder) is the best boat for travel and good sailing. I have sailed all kinds of weather from Maine to Florida and all of the Great Lakes and never had a problem with it design or construction.

It is inexpensively (some would say cheaply) built which is makes it affordable.

If you turn your nose up at it, you're missing out on a fu and easy to own boat.
Old 10-22-2006

naubri is on a distinguished road
I , Ijust Bought A Mac Gregor 26 X And I Am Looking For Instruction In French For Rigging And Taking Care Of The Boat If You Know Where I Coud Get I Would Appriciate
Thanks

Gaetan
Old 12-08-2006

82Venture22 is on a distinguished road
You buy a boat to suit your lifestyle.. not to satisfy what other boaters think. I've had a Mac19, a Mac26X and now I went old school to a Venture 21.. I've put up with abuse from some of the best of them.
Old 12-14-2006

speedyrigger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by naubri
I , Ijust Bought A Mac Gregor 26 X And I Am Looking For Instruction In French For Rigging And Taking Care Of The Boat If You Know Where I Coud Get I Would Appriciate
Thanks

Gaetan
Bonjour Gaetan, [English version below]

Je possède un MacGregor 26X et ai produit deux vidéos pour équiper et naviguer ceci (ou n'importe quel trailerable) le voilier. Les vidéos sont disponibles dans VHS DE COPAIN format International qui jouera sur les machines de magnétoscope en France. Ils sont aussi disponibles pour l'USA, Japon, Canada et les autres pays qui utilise le format de NTSC dans la cassette de DVD ou VHS. Bien que les vidéos sont dans l'anglais, vous calme pourra regarder toutes les étapes détaillées pour équiper et naviguer votre bateau maintes et maintes fois. Le site web pour apprendre plus est www.speedyrigger.com. Merci, Jeff Stagg MacX2284F898 « Trois Soleils » Roseville, California, USA

I own a MacGregor 26X and have produced two videos for rigging and sailing this (or any trailerable) sailboat. The videos are available in PAL VHS International format which will play on the VCR machines in France. They are also available for USA, Japan, Canada and other countries that use the NTSC format in DVD or VHS cassette. Although the videos are in English, you will still be able to watch all the detailed steps to rig and sail your boat over and over. The website to learn more is www.speedyrigger.com . Thank you, Jeff Stagg MacX2284F898 "Three Suns" Roseville, CA, USA
Old 09-09-2009

MiniTransat is on a distinguished road
I own a Mac 26s, I agree it is one of the most vesitile boats you can bring around to vacation. I plan to buy a blue water boat when I retire, but Id be a fool to sell my Mac 26s as this boat could do more for some inshore fun and cross country trailering.
Old 09-09-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
While I'm glad that you are in love with your boat, I would encourage you to check the dates of posts you reply to. I see that you've replied to 2 threads so far, the first one died a little more than a year ago, and this one died 3 1/2 years ago. It is considered bad form to float old threads. If you have a question or simply want to tell everyone how much you love your boat, by all means do so. Just start your own new thread, or comment on a current thread. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-09-2009
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
You would think, if it is such bad form to "float old threads" then something should be done to prevent such an atrocious act. Perhaps banning the offender for a year, locking any thread after 6 mos., etc.

I find it funny why some people seem to get so bent out of shape.
Sky Clipper likes this.
Old 09-09-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
You would think, if it is such bad form to "float old threads" then something should be done to prevent such an atrocious act. Perhaps banning the offender for a year, locking any thread after 6 mos., etc.

I find it funny why some people seem to get so bent out of shape.
No one is bent out of shape, nor has anyone except you suggested any punishment for floating an old thread. Generally speaking, when an old thread is floated, the "offender" (as you put it) answers a question or makes a comment to someone who hasn't been seen around here in a very long time. This is just basic message board etiquette that is not always obvious to the new poster. If someone doesn't point it out to the new poster, odds are that he will continue to dredge up 5 year old threads, and clog the board with old news. Inevitably someone will tire of seeing all of these old threads floating up, and will be much more harsh than I was. I thought I was pretty nice about it.

Sometimes there are good reasons to float an old thread. For instance, if someone is planning on taking a long cruise and posts questions about the planned cruise. Upon returning from the cruise, the original poster may re-float the thread to report on what happened. That would be perfectly acceptable, and even desirable. For someone else to float that same thread, and give advice to the original poster about the planned cruise 2 years after the departure date does little good for anyone. I've seen this scenario played out numerous times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-09-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
While I'm glad that you are in love with your boat, I would encourage you to check the dates of posts you reply to. I see that you've replied to 2 threads so far, the first one died a little more than a year ago, and this one died 3 1/2 years ago. It is considered bad form to float old threads. If you have a question or simply want to tell everyone how much you love your boat, by all means do so. Just start your own new thread, or comment on a current thread. Thanks.
Yo US - lighten up dude. Seriously. Threads don't die. If someone is interested in the subject and is willing to comment on it - it lives. No matter how long it's been. Who gives a damn?

Mini - blow the above post off. Starting a new thread just for the sake of not offending some weird "rule" that makes no sense anyway is silly. I don't know who came up with that one. But this is a forum where people talk about sailing - not try to earn a blue blazer from the Proper Forum Rules Society.

Have fun, dude.
Sky Clipper likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40