Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007

RAGNAR will become famous soon enough
What Ever Happened to the Giant MacGregor?

Anyone have any experience on the 64? How did they age? (A 64 spent at Manhattan's 79Street Boat Basin back in the 1990s: pretty lines, narrow beam, looked like it could fly.)

Wasn't there talk Re an even larger vessel, a 73 or 74?

Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Saw one for sale in the classifieds at the back of one of the "glossy" sail mags just the other day. I would guess that Steve Dashew was putting out a better, similar boat and there wasn't enough market. Just a guess though.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
The '65 did very well. It set lotsa passage records and production was stopped with orders still on the books to make room for Mac 26X production. They're working on the '70 as we speak and one '65 was stretched to a '70. There's one FS in Tacoma for 94K. It's not a pilothouse version and is a little more flexible than the PH cruising model. They're a little spartan inside, narrow of beam but cruise at 12+ and are light enough to surf in a stiff breeze. The highest speed I've heard is 25 planing downwind in a blow. They are lightly constructed as most Macs are.

PS. The one in Tacoma is "Joss" Joss is the fastest of all the M65's and the one that held many of the records. She has a 4' sugar scoop making her 69' LOA that was installed to deal with rudder turbulence and had the side effect of keeping ya dry in a following sea. She also had a bulb keel instead of the fin keel which helped her point much higher than other M65's.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 06-13-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2007

a1sailboats is on a distinguished road
For a travelogue of an 8 month trip on a macgregor 65 go to a1sailboats.com/sunsets. About 107 were built from 1984-1995 in 2 versions, the earlier racing boat and the 1989 up pilothouse performance cruiser. Great, but not perfect, boats. No one would be sorry they ever owned one, for sure. Cheers! - Jim Perrie
Old 03-21-2007
Sail'en Tampa Bay

tampabaymac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up A Mac 65 on Tampa Bay

I tried to upload a photo you may enjoy on the subject. But alas, "failed."

So, find more photos, including interior shots, at ...

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mac.../view/d879?b=1
Old 03-21-2007
Sail'en Tampa Bay

tampabaymac is on a distinguished road
Let's try it this way ...

Mac 65 on Tampa Bay
Old 06-13-2007

dkhoward is on a distinguished road
I read an article that contained an interview with Roger Macgregor. Production on the 65 was stopped so that the factory space could be devoted to the 26 in order to keep up with the orders. They are currently sailing two test hulls that are 70' variations on the 65' hulls. THe article says that a new big boat will be coming off the production line soon.
Old 06-13-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That'd be too cool. I doubt Mac will sell them for 130K like they did back then though. If they bring it back out, I hope they employ some lessons learned over the years.
Old 07-29-2007

SailLikeTheWind is an unknown quantity at this point
MacGregor sold about 100 of the things over a ten year period. Not too shabby. Perhaps what is most incredible is that the boat has not depreciated in value. I has actually gone up. A quick search on Yachtworld will show most are selling in the mid $200 range.

The two boats that MacGregor has now are not prototypes or test models. One is owned by Roger and the other by his son in law. Not sure about the son in laws boat bur Roger took the 65 and added length to the transom to get the extra length. He then popped a second mast on it and its now a ketch.

There is no intention of ramping up production any time soon although the company still has the tooling. Was told that they would need ten confirmed orders before they would consider it.

The boat did have its problems. Some had their chainplates rip right out while being sailed. Others were typical of the poor quality control at the plant.

The boat absolutely screams on a run. Have an acquaintance who delivered one from the Bay area to Marina Del Rey a few years ago. Said it was a pretty scary experience. Mentioned that it was really blowing during part of the trip and could actually see the deck flexing around the chainplates.

I think he should start building the boat again. Should be no problem selling it for under $200K and still making a decent buck.
Old 12-17-2007
SecretSailor

SecretSailor is on a distinguished road
I heard a rumor that MacGregor was to start building the Mac 65 again, but as a Mac 70. I think they'd sell a lot of them, given the price. Perhaps even some would buy them and operate them "fractionally" i.e. a few people could pool their money and buy/own it together. You could "jointly" own a 70 ft sailboat for a great price, albeit fractionally.

"Always approach a Dock at a speed you're comfortable hitting it at."