SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   MacGregor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/macgregor/)
-   -   I need a new keel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/macgregor/44531-i-need-new-keel.html)

dcsavitzky 06-29-2008 03:45 AM

I need a new keel

Has anyone out there actually had a replacement keel made for the Mac 25? Reading the archives, I see lots of comments and advice but no one who has actually done it and said that it sailed well. Mine fell off in 40 feet of water (still trying to figure out how that happened) and I'm in the market for a replacement. I'm open to ideas but getting someone to build me one out of steel plate is the official recommendation from Bill @ MacGregor.

David in Rhode Island

dcsavitzky 07-09-2008 12:11 AM

Still looking for a new keel

No responses yet re replacing my keel. I'm in the middle of pricing out the options and deciding if I'd do better to replace the boat and get back to sailing. Any input appreciated. Anyone have a lead on a derelict Mac25 or just the keel? No trailer or motor needed.

David in Rhode Island

smoyer64 07-10-2008 02:45 PM

Local scuba club?

I'm not much of a diver, but even I've done 40 feet. Have you thought about talking to a local diving club, or the local search/rescue/recovery team might like some training.

Even if you pay a professional diver, I can't imagine it would cost as much to recover the one you lost as it would to make or buy one.

dcsavitzky 07-11-2008 01:26 PM

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll look into it.
David

smoyer64 07-11-2008 01:37 PM

Lost keel

Of course, I'm assuming you know approximately where you lost it (to tighten the search radius sufficiently). I suspect it was a pretty memorable event ... one you won't forget for a while (or ever).

dcsavitzky 07-30-2008 01:03 AM

Actually, that is a big part of the problem. Without a GPS my location was "south of the lighthouse and east of a buoy". That narrows things down but not as much as I would hope. In forty feet of water the area could be pretty big. I don't have a lot of hope for recovering it.

smoyer64 07-31-2008 10:08 AM

Big magnet?

Locating it would probably cost a lot more than the recovery, but it is a giant hunk of steel. Could you get one of those 100# rare earth magnets and drag it in a search grid until it catches? Then tie a buoy to the line and call your diver?

Probably not much help;)

Pamlicotraveler 07-31-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcsavitzky (Post 334846)
Mine fell off in 40 feet of water (still trying to figure out how that happened) and I'm in the market for a replacement.

Just curious, did the Macgregor folks seem at all surprised that this happened, or was this more of a routine problem that they were familiar with?

zz4gta 08-06-2008 02:33 PM

Remember, a diver is just going to tie a line to it and come to the surface. You'll still have to haul that thing up to the surface. ;)

PatrickMcHugh 08-16-2008 02:19 AM

I've been following your troubles, hope everything works out! If not, i'm looking for a mainsail... And some cushions... Etc. Etc. Etc.. Thanks!