Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008

JohnHV25 is on a distinguished road
26S Pop Top Cover

I have agreed to buy a '92 26S. But, the seller listed a pop top cover in the equipment list that he now tells me he doesn't have. I have one for my V25 and feel it is necessary to overnight on one of these boats. More so on the 26 because the cabin roof is even lower than the 25 with the top down.

BWY tells me they are no longer available as OEM parts. So if I want one I either back out of this deal, have one made, or find one someone who wants to sell theirs. Has anyone had one made? I'd like an idea of what it costs. Or, does anyone have one they are willing to part with?

Thanks,
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
I have a Mac 92S, I bought new. I also have a canvas "Pop-top" cover. I spend at least 2 weeks a year 'cruise/camping' on the boat. I have rigged the pop-top cover once. Since then it has lived in the fore-peak in a sowage bag. (a real NON-essential).

I think this model Mac is the best one for my situation. I live in the Midwest, SAIL midwest lakes. The 1992 S wins because she is a good SAILOR, the swing centerboard has been in several "unplanned encounters with the bottom", it kicks up with no damage, except to ones honor.

Here are some things to consider: I replaced the foam rubber seal on the Pop-top with a rubber seal from the local RV Store (one they use for tent campers). I replaced the standard rudder with one from IDA sailor (fixes a major flaw in the design, major weather helm). Take a close look at the trailer bunks, they most likely will need to be replaced. Also look at the trailer brakes, mine have 'frozen' twice and burnt out the associated bearings.
Best of luck, if you make the purchase, let us know and how you like sailing her.

Ed Warren
Lady Warren (1992 Mac 26S)
"Near Omaha"
Old 10-09-2008

JohnHV25 is on a distinguished road
Ed, thanks for the reply. I have decided to buy the boat. It's in a slip, now that I think I can leave it in for a couple weeks. If that works out I am going to take the trailer home and go through it so thanks for the advice there. I wasn't thinking about the brakes. My V25 trailer doesn't have surge brakes and it weights more than the 26S. So I'm not really sure you need them. I've been towing with a Ford Explorer and it stops the V25 pretty well. I only had one instance when I wasn't paying close attention to highway traffic which had slowed down where I really needed to lay on the brakes. Trailer brakes would have been nice in that situation. But, I got it stopped without.

I sail in the midwest too. It sounds like you overnight more than I. I usually get one or two 2 or 3 night trips in a year. Otherwise all daysailing. When I started overnighting, I had the poptop cover so I put it on. I've never tried it without. It would certainly be cooler in the summer. You aren't swarmed with mosquitoes?

I built my own replacement rudder for the V25 to eliminate weather helm. Once I get some experience with the 26S I'll probably do the same thing. I've read a lot of posts about the 26's rudder. Weather helm wasn't too bad on my test sail last Sunday, but heavier than my 25.

I found someone on the Macregor Owners forum who is parting out a 26 that a tree fell on who has a pop top cover and agreed to sell for $50. For that I'll get it and see how I like it.

Thanks,
John Hutchins
St Louis, Mo
Venture 25 and soon Mac 25S
Old 10-10-2008

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
The brakes on the Mac 26S trailer are not 'surge brakes' but are designed to activate when the trailer 'disconnects' from the hitch. For some reason, unknown to man, on two occasions they have closed and burnt the bearings. I now have them disconnected.

Regards the rudder, I also made one from a chunk of cherry, it worked, but take a look at IDA Sailor, theirs looks great and works great.

Back to the pop-top cover:
It's either wet or dry out when anchored
if wet the cover gets wet and is a bitch to store. So I don't use it.
if dry, then one of the above: hot, cold, comfortable
if hot and dry, the pop top is open and the cover stops the wind and I don't use it.
if cold and dry, the pop top is closed to conserve the heat, no cover.
if comfortable and dry, the pop top is open and I enjoy the breeze, no cover.

In any case it makes a nice pad in the V-berth for all the other stuff I put in the boat.

Another 'problem' I have had was the porta-potty. It's guts finally rotted out, the pump sprung leaks all around. I replace it with a larger model by the same manufacturer (From Cabelas), Now it will hold at least a full week's worth 'product' from two users.

Enjoy the boat,

Ed Warren
"Sails on Masts not Masts on Sails"
Old 12-11-2008

Guzzi is on a distinguished road
John,
Where in STL are you?
A friend here in St. Peters recently sold his 92 M26S and the buyer immediately put it up for sale after about a month. He sold his Helms 27 to my friend.
Are we talking about the same boat?
Old 12-11-2008
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Surge brakes

The Mac26s does have surge brakes. (if they are properly adjusted)

They also are applied if the hitch becomes disconnected. Thats why you can't back up a steep hill without defeating this feature with a bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWarren View Post
The brakes on the Mac 26S trailer are not 'surge brakes' but are designed to activate when the trailer 'disconnects' from the hitch. For some reason, unknown to man, on two occasions they have closed and burnt the bearings. I now have them disconnected.

Regards the rudder, I also made one from a chunk of cherry, it worked, but take a look at IDA Sailor, theirs looks great and works great.

Back to the pop-top cover:
It's either wet or dry out when anchored
if wet the cover gets wet and is a bitch to store. So I don't use it.
if dry, then one of the above: hot, cold, comfortable
if hot and dry, the pop top is open and the cover stops the wind and I don't use it.
if cold and dry, the pop top is closed to conserve the heat, no cover.
if comfortable and dry, the pop top is open and I enjoy the breeze, no cover.

In any case it makes a nice pad in the V-berth for all the other stuff I put in the boat.

Another 'problem' I have had was the porta-potty. It's guts finally rotted out, the pump sprung leaks all around. I replace it with a larger model by the same manufacturer (From Cabelas), Now it will hold at least a full week's worth 'product' from two users.

Enjoy the boat,

Ed Warren
"Sails on Masts not Masts on Sails"