Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, how long is the forestay cable on the V17? I've got a rope for mine... Gonna go get the steel cable in a couple days.Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
Hey guys, how long is the forestay cable on the V17? I've got a rope for mine... Gonna go get the steel cable in a couple days.Thanks
It would be better for you to measure yours for yourself. It could be different, depending on where the mast step is on your boat, and where the deck attachment is.
set your mast with the line you have, then measure what you've got. Don't forget to shorten the amount by enough for a turnbuckle. That's where your adjustment will be to tighten everything up.

Here's a picture of my turnbuckle, so you can see what I mean. Flickr Photo Download: IMGP0958
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !

Last edited by Joevacs; 04-07-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
Here are a couple of new pictures. One of where the forestay attaches to the deck, and one of the mast, where the forestay, jib halyard, and shrouds attach. ( My forestay is not attached to the mast in this picture, as I have just shortened it, and haven't been sailing since )
Flickr Photo Download: IMGP1924
Flickr Photo Download: IMGP1928

Venture 17 restoration - a set on Flickr

Okay, after looking at this rigging pic I have a couple more questions. What is the diameter and length of the turnbuckle? And it just attaches to the forestay with a pin? I was at home depot and they have stainless turnbuckles there for only a few dollars, but I want make sure I get the right size (1/4, 5/16, 3/8...) Looking at your forestay, I just want to confirm its 1/8" steel cable? It looked a little thicker, but pics add a few pounds... Also, what is the length of the main sheet? And what is the flat hardware piece that has all the holes in it for? Where does it attach? I'm assuming its an adjuster for the jib? Once I have this info, I should be able to rig it up. (I still need to fix the sail though...) Thanks again, Andrew

Last edited by ajsemtb; 04-07-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
Okay, after looking at this rigging pic I have a couple more questions. What is the diameter and length of the turnbuckle? And it just attaches to the forestay with a pin? I was at home depot and they have stainless turnbuckles there for only a few dollars, but I want make sure I get the right size (1/4, 5/16, 3/8...) Looking at your forestay, I just want to confirm its 1/8" steel cable? It looked a little thicker, but pics add a few pounds... Also, what is the length of the main sheet? And what is the flat hardware piece that has all the holes in it for? Where does it attach? I'm assuming its an adjuster for the jib? Once I have this info, I should be able to rig it up. (I still need to fix the sail though...) Thanks again, Andrew
Be careful what you buy at Home Depot. It may be fine, I'm not saying everything they sell is junk, just make sure it's not aluminum or cheap stainless. The size isn't as important as the weight rating. I don't know the actual stress that these boats have on the mast, but I would get one that could handle at least 400lbs.
Yes I have 1/8th cable.
The thing with the holes is at the end of the shrouds. Thats what attaches to the chainplates.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 04-07-2009

I guess I should have known about the side stay chainplate. I was thinking of the front of the boat, not the sides. Now this is an honest question, I was at walmart and in the hardware section they have 1/8" steel cable rated at 340lbs with the clamp style fasteners. Advise not to buy sailing stuff from walmart, or would probably work on a budget for a while? I've decided I want to get on the water more, and work less, so I just want her up and going and i'll start restoring in the fall/winter. again, or home depot, or should I find a sailing shop that actually has the right steel cable?
Old 04-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidam1947 View Post
Ajsemtb, you might try calling Bacon & Associates in Annapolos. They may have something in their used sails inventory that'd work or perhaps be cut-down. Always most helpful staff. And, they'll ship.

My dad was a traveling salesman in Florida and would trail her to various parts of the state and use it as his floating motel and occassionally would invite his customers for a sail (sure fire way to close the deal!).

Thanks for the smile today! Great pictures of your work(s)-in-progress and I'll be checking back for updates on your Ventures!

Michele
thanks for the site, I checked on a main and a jib, and they have a couple that might work for my boat/budget. My question to everyone is what difference does the fabric weight make? There were 4 oz 5 oz and 6 oz dacron fabrics. I'm not going to be racing, I just want to take the family out and enjoy some wind. Also, the dimensions weren't exact, how much difference does an inch or so make on the measurements? Will I get chastised for putting sails on my boat that aren't Venture?
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2009

Andrew,
You said you don't want to spend a lot of time and money right now fixing stuff, you just want to go sailing. I understand what you're saying. I also know that there are ways to stay on the cheap, but buying cheap stuff NEVER pays off in the end. If you can get stainless cable at Walmart that's as good as a boat store, Go for it ! But if you are buying inferior products to save a few pennies, all that time that you thought you weren't going to have to spend fixing stuff, might end up taking even more time later if that cheap stuff fails at the wrong moment. You don't have to spend a lot if you look around and buy wisely.
As far as your sails, if you can find used sails that are pretty close, it seems to me you would be fine for a while. I bought new sails, because I wanted to have every advantage in the learning process, and had read that a worn out mainsail can make things more difficult and makes heeling more extreme.
Go with your gut.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 04-07-2009

One other thing Andrew, if your going to go as cheap as possible to start with and gradually replace things later. One thing you can save on is the rope you buy for your sheets and halyards. You can use just about anything with some decent strength for a while. I woud look at West Marine's site first though, and see what they have on clearance and closeout. My main halyard ( which is 45feet, by the way ), was a closeout, and it was only 13 cents/foot. And it's the right stuff.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 04-07-2009

Well, here's what I found out: Home Depot's turnbuckle has stainless eye bolts, but an aluminum body. The 3/8" is rated at 350 lbs. They also had some that were zinc plated that were cheaper, but less weight ratings. Also they only sell galvenized 1/8" cable, not stainless unless you get 3/16" which is overkill, I think. So, I'm 0 for 2. I guess my local sail shop is getting some business soon... They did have vinyl coated 1/8" but it was still galvenized... Why stainless again? Also, the weight rating on the 1/8" cables were all 340lbs, I don't know if sailboat cable is different somehow. I did however pay a visit to my boat today (its in storage) and I don't think its in that bad of condition... Yes, it needs a lot of work, and the interior is shot, but the deck is solid (though needs paint). I need to bring it home so I can work on it here and get a better idea of what I need to do.

I have some leftover parts from another hobie, I'm thinking of using the forestay assembly from that, that'll save me a few bucks. I have various shackles and parts laying around and pulleys, I may not need as much stuff as I thought...

When I looked at Jib sails, they also had a genoa/jib sail that was a bit bigger. Why would I want a genoa? I've seen pics with Ventures flying 3 sails at once, I'm assuming one is a genoa? How would that be rigged?
That's enough for now. I'll try to bring the boat home this weekend so I can talk and work at the same time.
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2009

The colorful fore sail is a spinaker. A genoa is just like the jib, except bigger. It will come past the mast, and overlap the mainsail. You would use it when there is lighter air, and switch to the jib when the wind picks up.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !