Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
how much did your new sails cost? I talked to my local sailshop and he quoted me $675 for the main, 310 for the jib, and 10% off if i bought them both at the same time... Or used sails for a third the price...
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
how much did your new sails cost? I talked to my local sailshop and he quoted me $675 for the main, 310 for the jib, and 10% off if i bought them both at the same time... Or used sails for a third the price...
Mine were 600 for a 130 genoa and the main. That was from Airforce Sails in Charleston, SC. Unfortunately they went out of business. I would look around on the internet until you find a better price.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 04-13-2009

frankdrebin is on a distinguished road
New sails, and other parts, for the V 17.

Venture 17
Old 04-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
It would be better for you to measure yours for yourself. It could be different, depending on where the mast step is on your boat, and where the deck attachment is.
set your mast with the line you have, then measure what you've got. Don't forget to shorten the amount by enough for a turnbuckle. That's where your adjustment will be to tighten everything up.

Here's a picture of my turnbuckle, so you can see what I mean. Flickr Photo Download: IMGP0958
Ok, let's talk about the Jib for a minute. In your pic you have a (brass?) double clip thing (i can't think of what its called). What is that for? Does the jib furlow at all, or just a raise/lower sail. On my Hobie, there is a forestay, but the jib halyard becomes the acting forestay once the jib is raised. Looking at pics of the venture at sail, that doesn't seem to be the case here. So here is what I'm assuming, the clip is strong enough to hold the tack of the jib, the blocks are at the clew of the jib, and a rope and shackle are at the head of the sail? Which brings the next question, what type line and length is the jib halyard?

I got my stainless turnbuckle, and a couple shackles and a block for the jib today. I'm going to take all that out to the boat and raise the mast and get my forestay measurement, and my local shop mariner sails said they can make the forestay for me. By then, I should have my paperwork back so that I can register the boat (long story, TX has very strick titling laws) so I'll be even more anxious to get the boat put together. I'll probably bring my tiller/rudder home and sand it down and check its condition.

In regards to the keel, this boat has never been in salt water, and it doesn't seem to be "swelled". I am concerned about how I should inspect it and its retaining bolts and hardware, as it weighs 400#... Any suggestions on that? I've beat on it, and its seems sturdy, but i don't want it to fall off or anything at sail...

And to start, I think I would prefer to keep the boat in light winds, less than 20knots preferrable 10-15 I think. I saw the posting from blue water yachts about sails, and you said you got a genoa instead of a jib. Why? So you can sail in lighter winds? I'm not going to take this out with my experience on fast water...

One last thing (yeah, right) on your pic, there are 2 stainless pieces on either side of the light at the bow, what are those for? Thanks again.
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
Ok, let's talk about the Jib for a minute. In your pic you have a (brass?) double clip thing (i can't think of what its called). What is that for? Does the jib furlow at all, or just a raise/lower sail. On my Hobie, there is a forestay, but the jib halyard becomes the acting forestay once the jib is raised. Looking at pics of the venture at sail, that doesn't seem to be the case here. So here is what I'm assuming, the clip is strong enough to hold the tack of the jib, the blocks are at the clew of the jib, and a rope and shackle are at the head of the sail? Which brings the next question, what type line and length is the jib halyard?

I got my stainless turnbuckle, and a couple shackles and a block for the jib today. I'm going to take all that out to the boat and raise the mast and get my forestay measurement, and my local shop mariner sails said they can make the forestay for me. By then, I should have my paperwork back so that I can register the boat (long story, TX has very strick titling laws) so I'll be even more anxious to get the boat put together. I'll probably bring my tiller/rudder home and sand it down and check its condition.

In regards to the keel, this boat has never been in salt water, and it doesn't seem to be "swelled". I am concerned about how I should inspect it and its retaining bolts and hardware, as it weighs 400#... Any suggestions on that? I've beat on it, and its seems sturdy, but i don't want it to fall off or anything at sail...

And to start, I think I would prefer to keep the boat in light winds, less than 20knots preferrable 10-15 I think. I saw the posting from blue water yachts about sails, and you said you got a genoa instead of a jib. Why? So you can sail in lighter winds? I'm not going to take this out with my experience on fast water...

One last thing (yeah, right) on your pic, there are 2 stainless pieces on either side of the light at the bow, what are those for? Thanks again.
OK, the double clip thing is what I hook the bottom of the jib to ( I bought it at Ace Hardware because it easy to clip the jib on with). No furler on my foresail,the jib has hanks that slide up the forestay.
Your keel bolt should be fine if it feels sturdy. Make sure it's tight so it won't leak. If you real worried, get a stainless bolt, the same size( seems like 5/8 I think ), and tap it through the hole as you back the other one out with the new one. That way the keel won't drop while you change the bolt ( hopefully ). By the way, the keel is actually a little less than 300 lbs.
I bought a 130 genoa because the old jib that came with my boat is still in good condition. I have only used my genoa twice. I like the jib better.
I forgot what those are called, but they direct the mooring lines to the front of the boat from the center cleat on the bow, and keep them from dragging across the deck.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 05-05-2009

Andrew,
Hows it coming?
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-16-2009

Well, I kinda put it on hiatus for a bit... After I got the hardware, it took a while to get the certified letter back for getting the boat registered...

However, I calculated my forestay should be about 15'7", so I'm taking an old side stay from my Hobie down to the shop to have it shortened into the forestay today. The biggest road block now is money for the sails. Once I have that, I'll start moving forward again, but for now I'm spending quite a bit of time sailing my hobie and learning how to sail better. However, yesterday I moved it to a storage unit around the corner from my house, so I'll be able to work on it easier. I'll let you know when something else happens.

Is there somewhere I can research what the length and sizes of all the sheets and halyards and lines are on the V17? Because, I'm going to need all of them replaced, I think... It appears that all hardware is original, and in original locations. There are no other holes in the deck anywhere that I can see even from the bottom looking up at the deck.
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
Old 06-16-2009

Here are a couple of places you can possibly pick up some info. Or at least join a larger group with some of the knowledge you can use.

Macgregor/Venture Forum - Message Index

MacGregor Sailing home

I wil measure mine for you if you think it would help.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-16-2009

kreed17er is on a distinguished road
I just ordered sheets and halyards for my V17 from Sailboatowners.com. Main Halyard was 62ft of 1/4in, Main sheet was 30 ft of 3/8in, Jib halyard was 53ft of 1/4in and Jib sheet was 52ft of 3/8in line. Grand total of $175. Keep working hard. I am in the process right now of building a rudder. Stay with it and let me know how your boat is going. I would like to hear how you are going about things so we can compare.
Old 06-16-2009

... with lots of pictures
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !