Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed17er View Post
I just ordered sheets and halyards for my V17 from Sailboatowners.com. Main Halyard was 62ft of 1/4in, Main sheet was 30 ft of 3/8in, Jib halyard was 53ft of 1/4in and Jib sheet was 52ft of 3/8in line. Grand total of $175. Keep working hard. I am in the process right now of building a rudder. Stay with it and let me know how your boat is going. I would like to hear how you are going about things so we can compare.
Sounds like a little bit of overkill on some of those. Of coarse too long is better than too short, but too much excess can get in the way. I remember getting 50 ft for my main halyard and it's a little longer than necessary.
Also, if you check West Marine for close out line you can get some real deals sometimes. I think all of my new running rigging was under $75 and it's all good stuff.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2009

kreed17er is on a distinguished road
You're right. I think I got taken as a first timer. It happens...but man it just looks sooo good. I did go a little overkill so that the lines would go aft plus the screwups that I plan on making when I try some splicing myself. Haha. Looks like I will end up getting the wiring done in my boat during July 4th weekend. Gonna take lots of pics and give updates. Any helpful suggestions? My stepdad is a master electrician so I think it will go smoothly. Hey Joe, what do you think of progressive epoxy polymers? I saw a post that talked about it so I checked it out. I only ask because shipping is a fortune from NH to TX and I want to get something that is worth it.
Old 06-18-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
wow, those halyard lengths seem really long... The mast is only about 20ish feet... So it would make sense for the halyards to only be double that, up and over, no need for 20 feet of excess in my mind... Do you know something about rigging this boat that I don't? Or are you using a catamaran mod? I have a hobie cat, and that main halyard is about 55', give or take, but it has a 27' mast... Next time you rig up your boat, could you take a pic of the lines before and after they're run so I can get an idea of what's going on?
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed17er View Post
You're right. I think I got taken as a first timer. It happens...but man it just looks sooo good. I did go a little overkill so that the lines would go aft plus the screwups that I plan on making when I try some splicing myself. Haha. Looks like I will end up getting the wiring done in my boat during July 4th weekend. Gonna take lots of pics and give updates. Any helpful suggestions? My stepdad is a master electrician so I think it will go smoothly. Hey Joe, what do you think of progressive epoxy polymers? I saw a post that talked about it so I checked it out. I only ask because shipping is a fortune from NH to TX and I want to get something that is worth it.
Here's a good info page on epoxies. I don't know about that brand , as I haven't used it, but shipping is usually high on epoxies because of the chemical hazards. I have just used West System because I can get it local and pay no shipping. It seems to work well for what I've done.
Comparing Marine Epoxies - What to Look For
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-18-2009

I looked up blue water yachts online catalog for line for the V17, and it sells the same line for every boat... So I don't trust the lengths are correct for the V17 specific, but they had these measurements listed:

Main Halyard 5/16" line 66' long (way too long for this mast IMHO)
Jib Halyard 5/16" line 50' long (again, too long too much left over IMHO)
Main Sheet 5/16" line 45' long ( I wouldn't know because I haven't rigged my
boat, so I don't know what all is involved with running the line)
Jib Sheet 5/16" line 46' long ( again, I dunno, but if everything is running back to the cockpit, could be right, I suppose)

This brings up my next question, what is the block system for the main sheet/boom? My hobie runs a 6:1 and a traveler car. I don't even know what to expect the V17 to look like when rigged. Joe, I'll go back and look at your pics, but does someone have a close up of their main sheet rigged up?

Anyway, I think I'm going to use 1/4" line on the halyards and either 5/16" or 3/8" on the sheets. My catch phrase is "wingit" so, I suppose that will apply here as well.. I have an old halyard from the hobie that was damaged, but I'll be able to cut it down for this.

On the jib, is there a cable that runs along the inside of the luff? Or is it just all cloth or rope? Also, to raise the jib, is the only block involved the single block on the tang? Again, my hobie has a 4:1 block system, don't know what the differences are. However, the more I learn about Hobie sailing and rigging, I'm still learning about sailing as a whole, so I'm a lot more informed now than I was a few months ago just from that experience.

Thanks, more later
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
I looked up blue water yachts online catalog for line for the V17, and it sells the same line for every boat... So I don't trust the lengths are correct for the V17 specific, but they had these measurements listed:

Main Halyard 5/16" line 66' long (way too long for this mast IMHO)
Jib Halyard 5/16" line 50' long (again, too long too much left over IMHO)
Main Sheet 5/16" line 45' long ( I wouldn't know because I haven't rigged my
boat, so I don't know what all is involved with running the line)
Jib Sheet 5/16" line 46' long ( again, I dunno, but if everything is running back to the cockpit, could be right, I suppose)

This brings up my next question, what is the block system for the main sheet/boom? My hobie runs a 6:1 and a traveler car. I don't even know what to expect the V17 to look like when rigged. Joe, I'll go back and look at your pics, but does someone have a close up of their main sheet rigged up?

Anyway, I think I'm going to use 1/4" line on the halyards and either 5/16" or 3/8" on the sheets. My catch phrase is "wingit" so, I suppose that will apply here as well.. I have an old halyard from the hobie that was damaged, but I'll be able to cut it down for this.

On the jib, is there a cable that runs along the inside of the luff? Or is it just all cloth or rope? Also, to raise the jib, is the only block involved the single block on the tang? Again, my hobie has a 4:1 block system, don't know what the differences are. However, the more I learn about Hobie sailing and rigging, I'm still learning about sailing as a whole, so I'm a lot more informed now than I was a few months ago just from that experience.

Thanks, more later
OK, the mast is 20 ft. So your assumption of 40-ish ft for the main halyard is correct. The main sheet on my boat is 28ft. I would go with 30 as mine is right at the end when its let out all the way. The jib sheets, 1 starboard, and 1 port, are 18ft each. They are plenty long for even a 90 percent jib. Remember, your boat in total is only 17ft, 4 inches.
I will take a picture tomorrow, or this weekend of how the main sheet is rigged for you. I remember that was the hard part for me to figure out. I also didn't have much to go on at first. There were a few more sources on the net 2 years ago though, that are gone now. Even then, it took some searching though.
Your jib should have a cable sewn into the leech and there is just the one pulley up top that you pull the halyard through to raise it.
I just had a thought.
I'm gonna make you a video of my rigging set up. I can now upload video to my Flickr account, and that would be the best way for you to see the way it's set up. I will do that , maybe even this evening if the rain is gone for awhile.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-18-2009

That is an awesome idea!!! thanks Joe. I think that would help quite a few of us, those who have found this forum, and those who will eventually be doing what we're doing now! I look forward to it. My Hobie is only 16' long, so a bit shorter, but the rigging for the jib halyard, sheet, and main sheet are a little more complex, due to the multi block systems.

I've seen on a few pics a wire from the top of the mast down to the boom? Is that necessary? I know I don't have one, and it seems like you wouldn't be able to flatten out your sails as much with that... Again, hobie experience, not monohull...yet....
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
Old 06-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
That is an awesome idea!!! thanks Joe. I think that would help quite a few of us, those who have found this forum, and those who will eventually be doing what we're doing now! I look forward to it. My Hobie is only 16' long, so a bit shorter, but the rigging for the jib halyard, sheet, and main sheet are a little more complex, due to the multi block systems.

I've seen on a few pics a wire from the top of the mast down to the boom? Is that necessary? I know I don't have one, and it seems like you wouldn't be able to flatten out your sails as much with that... Again, hobie experience, not monohull...yet....
The rain never quit lastnight. I should be able to make some videos this evening.
The wire you describe would be a topping lift. It's just there to hold the boom up when your mainsail isn't raised. You can use your main halyard to accomplish that on your boat. I put a boom kicker on mine for that purpose.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-19-2009

OK, I got several new pictures posted, and several videos. I still have 3 more videos to upload tomorrow, and I will organize them after that.
V17 rigging - a set on Flickr
subdude likes this.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !

Last edited by Joevacs; 06-20-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2009

kreed17er is on a distinguished road
What you posted on flickr is the answer to my prayers. It makes so much more sense when you are able to see what is going on and how it is done. Thanks Joe.