Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
I just changed the link. I have organized them now in order. You just click on the previous post, on the V17 that's highlighted.
Sorry for the poor video quality, my camera isn't the greatest with video. Also, if you need to see better detail on the photos, click above the picture where it says, all sizes.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !

Last edited by Joevacs; 06-20-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
WOW!!!!! That was awesome! Thank you so much. I can't even begin to tell you how many questions you just answered, as well as questions I hadn't even thought of yet!!!! From the vids, it looks like my main sheet block system is all there, so that's good.

Did you add the auto-cleats on the mast for the halyards? I'm giong to assume yes, but where did you get that idea? Makes sense now that i've seen it, but I wouldn't have thought of that, I just would have tied them off!

Your boat looks great, btw! It terrified me to see you raise the mast by yourself, though! I was sure it was going to fall, but you handled it great! to be honest, I've always done it the other way, raising from the stern with the side stays already attached, then I just my wife attach the forestay and we're done. Again, that's how Hobie teaches, and that's all I know so far... lol.

Great Great Great Job!!!
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2009

Thanks Andrew.
I kept having the jibsheets snag on the mast, and I also wanted a quick way to drop the sails if I needed to. That's when I got the idea for the cam cleats on the mast. They work great, it's quick and easy, and no more snags.
Here's another picture that I downloaded several years ago, that helped me to see how things were set up. I don't know who's boat it was, but it's a nice one.
Flickr Photo Download: Nice Venture-17

Oh, and my mast won't lay backwards. The companion way cover is in the way. The roller on the front of my trailer is very helpful with that.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !

Last edited by Joevacs; 06-20-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2009

kreed17er is on a distinguished road
Hey Joe,
I learned a lot from the videos that you posted, that was great. I have a question about when you were making the deck sturdier with the plywood. Did you use polyester resin or stick with the epoxy? Looks like I am going to end up having to do the same thing.
Keith
Old 06-20-2009

kreed17er is on a distinguished road
Joe,
I also noticed that it looks like you have some sort of boom vang that you made or bought some where?... Where'd that come from and does it really work?
By the way, I made this post so that now I can post some pics. Had to get to ten. Pics are coming soon.
Old 06-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed17er View Post
Hey Joe,
I learned a lot from the videos that you posted, that was great. I have a question about when you were making the deck sturdier with the plywood. Did you use polyester resin or stick with the epoxy? Looks like I am going to end up having to do the same thing.
Keith
Polyester resin only sticks to itself. I will never use it again for anything. ( that was a lesson I learned the hard way) Epoxy sticks to pretty much everything.
Here's a good link for learning what work best for what.
Boat Repair Hindsight - Tips, Tricks, Rules of Thumb.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed17er View Post
Joe,
I also noticed that it looks like you have some sort of boom vang that you made or bought some where?... Where'd that come from and does it really work?
By the way, I made this post so that now I can post some pics. Had to get to ten. Pics are coming soon.
Yeah, I rigged a boomvang because when you are on a broad reach the boom raises up quite a bit. The vang makes a big difference. I don't always go to the trouble to hook it up if I don't plan on being out all day.
I got the vang block from West Marine. It's pretty easy to rig one up if you just look at how it's done
West Marine: West Advisor
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-27-2009

Flatfendershop is on a distinguished road
Good to see you guys are making progress!

When it comes to ordering heavy stuff check out discount marine supply on the web.

Discount Marine Supplies offers quality boating supplies & marine supplies for boaters and sailboat owners.

They have $6 shipping - no exceptions! I ordered an anchor, two gallons of west epoxy resin, two quarts of west hardener, fiberglass fabric, blocks, a gas can, and a bunch of little crap...it was enough to fill the back of my ranger all for $6 shipping.

Good luck. Flat.
Old 06-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfendershop View Post
When it comes to ordering heavy stuff check out discount marine supply on the web.

Discount Marine Supplies offers quality boating supplies & marine supplies for boaters and sailboat owners.

They have $6 shipping - no exceptions! I ordered an anchor, two gallons of west epoxy resin, two quarts of west hardener, fiberglass fabric, blocks, a gas can, and a bunch of little crap...it was enough to fill the back of my ranger all for $6 shipping.

Good luck. Flat.
I'll have to check into that next time I need something. $6 shipping for epoxy is a good deal ! ( unless they price it higher to cover shipping )
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-27-2009

Flatfendershop is on a distinguished road
Joe, I think I have yet to find a price they don't beat. As for epoxy, I think its about $15 LESS than West Marine sells it for. No extra charge for haz-mat or any thing either.