Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerguy View Post
Hi Joe:

Sounds like they re-designed the keel at the factory using lead, steel, and plywood... I thought that your keel was originally like mine, i.e., a few wraps of polyester and glass over some big steel plates... and that your new keel was something you designed yourself. Either way, you did a great job, and your photos are informative.

I figured out the same thing with polyester vs epoxy. I started to do mine with cheaper poly, thinking this was essentially new construction, and started one side of the keel. It shrank and cracked after 24 hours, so I popped it off and re-did the thing with epoxy. (sailing small- sailboat restoration and repair) Epoxy is not nearly as expensive as it used to be, at least from the smaller suppliers like Raka.

Keel construction and replacement is an interesting topic for me, since there are so many boats around with missing swing keels/daggerboards. And getting a factory replacement is often impossible, or more expensive than complete boats. It's a shame, really, 'cause these boats can be saved.

Thanks
BG
Brian Gilbert
Author, Fix It And Sail, The Complete Trailer Sailer
Hey Brian,
I just did a little research to make sure you were who I thought you were. Yes ! That's really cool. I got a lot of inspiration from you. I heard you on Furled Sails a few years back, or whenever it was. I listened to that podcast several times, and got your book too. I felt like I had pretty much the same desease as you. That's ok though, I don't really want to be cured from this desease.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
On keels again - Mine is definitely a purpose-built sailboat keel. The holes and the clearance for the pendant are cast-in. Perhaps my "squashed fishing weight" description wasn't detailed enough -- it's cast iron, and shaped similar to the ones in the old brochures. But if you'd drop it down, then cut it in half parallel to the water line you'd see the cross section is an elongated oval shape. Thinner at the front and rear, thick in the middle. Kind of like a fish. It's probably 4" wide at it's thickest, so I'm sure it's at least the 300 some pounds the original is supposed to be. 280lbs? I've read different numbers but it's certainly not underweight. I don't see any lead in mine. It was painted at some point, but a lot of it is cracking/chipped revealing red rust.
Old 06-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
On keels again - Mine is definitely a purpose-built sailboat keel. The holes and the clearance for the pendant are cast-in. Perhaps my "squashed fishing weight" description wasn't detailed enough -- it's cast iron, and shaped similar to the ones in the old brochures. But if you'd drop it down, then cut it in half parallel to the water line you'd see the cross section is an elongated oval shape. Thinner at the front and rear, thick in the middle. Kind of like a fish. It's probably 4" wide at it's thickest, so I'm sure it's at least the 300 some pounds the original is supposed to be. 280lbs? I've read different numbers but it's certainly not underweight. I don't see any lead in mine. It was painted at some point, but a lot of it is cracking/chipped revealing red rust.
I would be very surprised if that swelled part at the bottom isn't lead. Here is the picture of my keel before I did anything to it.
Flickr Photo Download: 0206 027
And here is what the guts of it look like.
Flickr Photo Download: Keel repair 021
I would imagine yours is the same.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-29-2009

hmmm... Mine looks nothing like that actually. Mine's a big fat piece of cast iron the whole way down. No fiberglass anywhere.

Can photos be uploaded directly to posts? I don't have (or want) any photohosting website. I have (and hate) facebook, if I must host a photo somewhere else.

And sorry if I come across as grumpy. I've had this boat for over a month and have yet to get it off the trailer. I have off all summer and instead of being on the water I'm sitting here on the computer.. yuck.
Old 06-29-2009

I just took some pictures of the boat, motor, and keel. I can't get them to upload (even after shrinking them to 47KB) but I can email them to anyone who is interested.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
I just took some pictures of the boat, motor, and keel. I can't get them to upload (even after shrinking them to 47KB) but I can email them to anyone who is interested.

Thanks
I have found that the easiest way is to upload pictures to a photo website ( of your choice ) and then attach the link. There may be better ways, but that works for me. I'm not a computer nerd , and the simpler, the better.
I personally like Flickr.com because it's free, and it's simple.
I would love to see your pictures, sorry you're not on the water. I have to be at work or i would be. The breeze outside is perfect right now.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-29-2009

Got it in! Went sailing this evening. Had a blast. Minimal newbie mistakes -- had the jib on upside down, and forgot to lift the centerboard before trying to get it off the trailer. Both easily corrected. A floated-away dock meant that I had to get really wet to get the boat on and off the trailer. I didn't mind, but my cell phone and wallet are currently drying out. Also lost use of left turn signal. I don't consider any of that too high a price to pay for an evening of pure fun! I also beached it intentionally to let my passenger on and off. Worked great and I was able to motor off easily. Had to have my passenger go to the front of the boat to take the weight off the keel. A great evening sail, pleasant and consistent winds, clear water. Great time on the local lake. Now I'm psyched! That's the motivation I needed to put a little work into this old boat! Pictures from my friend's cell phone forthcoming -- my phone got Ted Kennedy'd at put in.
Old 06-30-2009

I pulled my boat to work with me today. I plan to go straight to the lake after work. It's supposed to be hot, low humidity, with a light breeze, and cooling off nicely as the sun sets. That sounds like perfect conditions for an evening of sailing and relaxing.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-30-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
regarding the keel issue... Mine is solid cast iron too. It doesn't seem to be a fiberglass laminate that you guys are talking about. My boat is a '72. Here's a link to a pic of mine:

Picasa Web Albums - Andrew

Picasa Web Albums - Andrew

Anywho, welcome to all the "new" guys.

Regarding the trailer, my trailer at the rear cross bar "dips" down I'm assuming for the keel, and its already so low, I scrape over every lull in the road... I don't know how ur trailers are designed, but I doubt I could even put 8" tires on mine... i'll upload a pic and link to it in a bit...

And let me just say, WOW! This forum has grown like crazy!!! I'm stoked there are so many of us that want to restore these old boats. And I think its pretty crazy that Brian Gilbert has posted here now too... I HAVE YOUR BOOK!! lol

ok, I'm done with my little nostalgic moment.. Good Job Joe!!!
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2009

hammerguy is on a distinguished road
The old boat thing... disease or gene?

Hey Brian,
I just did a little research to make sure you were who I thought you were. Yes ! That's really cool. I got a lot of inspiration from you. I heard you on Furled Sails a few years back, or whenever it was. I listened to that podcast several times, and got your book too. I felt like I had pretty much the same desease as you. That's ok though, I don't really want to be cured from this desease.

Yep, sorry about that. Guilty as charged. I'm glad you liked the Furled Sails podcast, that was a lot of fun. I really need to get in touch with them again about my new book, which has finally been released... a big relief, I was afraid the project would get shelved.

It just kills me to see a good boat fall to ruin from lack of simple care. While it certainly is a disease, perhaps it can also be thought of as a "gene." I remember when I was 13 years old and living in Malaysia. There was a derelict wooden boat that was beached... a true ruin. I was so interested in the thing that I actually took a photo. It was probably made of teak. (Not sure if could find the photo or not.)

So what makes one interested in old, junked boats at age 13? Maybe it's a genetic marker that shows your likelihood of contracting the restoration sickness at a later date.

But hey, we've all gotta go sometime. My wife has learned that it's best not to fight it, bless her soul, even though she really doesn't care much for sailing at all.

Best, BG
Brian Gilbert
author, Fix It And Sail, The Complete Trailer Sailer