Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
regarding the keel issue... Mine is solid cast iron too. It doesn't seem to be a fiberglass laminate that you guys are talking about. My boat is a '72. Here's a link to a pic of mine:

Picasa Web Albums - Andrew

Picasa Web Albums - Andrew

Anywho, welcome to all the "new" guys.

Regarding the trailer, my trailer at the rear cross bar "dips" down I'm assuming for the keel, and its already so low, I scrape over every lull in the road... I don't know how ur trailers are designed, but I doubt I could even put 8" tires on mine... i'll upload a pic and link to it in a bit...

And let me just say, WOW! This forum has grown like crazy!!! I'm stoked there are so many of us that want to restore these old boats. And I think its pretty crazy that Brian Gilbert has posted here now too... I HAVE YOUR BOOK!! lol

ok, I'm done with my little nostalgic moment.. Good Job Joe!!!
Andrew, that is the factory keel. If you start grinding or hammering very hard, thinking that's all iron, your going to get a rude awakening. It's fiberglass covered. That swell at the base, is lead.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2009

Brian, My wife isn't all that excited about it either. She goes sometimes, but she want even intertain the thought of overnight trips or the "someday we could live on a boat".
Oh well, at least I have enough sanity to know that she is more important than my boats.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 06-30-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
Andrew's Picasa album pictures of the keel looks just like mine. Right down to the square nut. Trailer description is the same too.
Old 06-30-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
Andrew, that is the factory keel. If you start grinding or hammering very hard, thinking that's all iron, your going to get a rude awakening. It's fiberglass covered. That swell at the base, is lead.
Okay then, why are all the rust blisters there? Are they seeping out? they power wash off pretty easy, and thanks for the warning, cuz I thought it was straight metal. But it does swing fine, and I don't see any cracking, so hopefully I'll be fine for while.

Did find a '76 V22 for sale with a trailer full sails for $1700... I'm thinking, I'm thinking.... Less work, probably less money as its ready to go..... probably not... I have enough boats around here, and selling the 17 in its condition probably wouldn't go well... I guess I'll have to make her pretty first..
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2009

not to pee in anyone's cheerios, but mine looks just like Andrew's and I just now went out and tried sticking a magnet to it. The magnet sticks to it everywhere. High, low, top, bottom. everywhere. It wasn't a real strong magnet either. Mine's shaped just like Andrew's and unless I have the world's only magnet that sticks to fiberglass and lead, it's a big ol hunk of cast iron.
Old 07-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
not to pee in anyone's cheerios, but mine looks just like Andrew's and I just now went out and tried sticking a magnet to it. The magnet sticks to it everywhere. High, low, top, bottom. everywhere. It wasn't a real strong magnet either. Mine's shaped just like Andrew's and unless I have the world's only magnet that sticks to fiberglass and lead, it's a big ol hunk of cast iron.
With Macgregor, anything is possible, and with 30 to 40 year old boats, and who knows how many previous owners, theres no telling what's on your boat.
Ventures can have quite a number of irregularities.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-01-2009

I also noticed that the deck and keel are about 3/4" off center at the bow. No sign that the deck was ever off. Must have been built on a Monday.
Mine's a 1973, hull number 16301073.
Old 07-08-2009

Brianbs is on a distinguished road
Question Soft bottom

Hi Joe,

I just bought a 1969 V17 in beautiful shape with a 2hp Honda four stroke all on a trailer for $650! It's the first time in my life that I really felt like I got a good deal on something. Thanks for posting all the pictures and videos, it will really help me figure out the rigging before I sail it. I only have one concern at this point, and that's the bottom of the boat just fore and aft of each bunk. It had been sitting on the trailer for a couple years and has dented in the bottom in each location. The dents are about the size of football and probably 1/2" deep. I don't know if they will pop out when I float it, but just the fact that the bottom flexes this much has me concerned. Has anyone else reported this behavior before?

Thanks again for the help.

Brian
Old 07-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianbs View Post
Hi Joe,

I just bought a 1969 V17 in beautiful shape with a 2hp Honda four stroke all on a trailer for $650! It's the first time in my life that I really felt like I got a good deal on something. Thanks for posting all the pictures and videos, it will really help me figure out the rigging before I sail it. I only have one concern at this point, and that's the bottom of the boat just fore and aft of each bunk. It had been sitting on the trailer for a couple years and has dented in the bottom in each location. The dents are about the size of football and probably 1/2" deep. I don't know if they will pop out when I float it, but just the fact that the bottom flexes this much has me concerned. Has anyone else reported this behavior before?

Thanks again for the help.

Brian
Brian,
Welcome to our little world of Venture 17's.
A lot of these older boats get put on the trailer with the keel up and the weight of the keel is then held by the hull. If you release the keel so that it rests on the trailer all the time except when it's being loaded and unloaded the hull should reshape itself back to the right form. Also, the bunks on the trailer may need some attention. If they are shaped wrong or have too much pressure on the forward posts, instead of balancing the weight evenly across the entire hull, it will also cause that.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-08-2009

Brianbs is on a distinguished road
Soft bottom

Thanks Joe! Everything you mentioned makes perfect sense. The keel was up and the bunk boards are too short making the ends fall between the lateral supports. There's actually some gel coat cracking around one of the dents, so I may have to fix that too. I'm feeling better, so thanks for the support. I'll try to take some pictures so you can see the overall condition of the boat. Thanks again.

Brian