Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009

kreed17er is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys,
I just read an article about keels falling off and bolts sheering. It now has me thinking about our boats and whether it has happened or could happen. Has it? Anyone have a bolt sheer on them or had a keel fall off on a V17 or any boat for that matter, swing or fixed?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
I upsized mine one size and reinforced the keel hole with bronze. I haven't heard any stories though of them falling off.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-11-2009

What size bolt did you go to? Where did you get the bronze piece? I saw that you had to cut out the fiberglass where the keel had swollen in the cabin. Did you reinforce anything when you reglassed?
Old 07-12-2009

Flatfendershop is on a distinguished road
Guys, if a quality 300 series stainless steel bolt is used in the keel, there is no way it will shear. A 1/2 8.8 or 10.9 316 stainless bolt is silly strong, you will rip out fiberglass long before you break one of these bolts. (you can google the shear strength and see)

However, if you neglect to check your bolts and they wear half way through, yes you could break a bolt - but that's not the bolt's fault!

Joe, by pressing a bronze bushing into the bore of your keel you didn't really reinforce it, since the bronze is softer than the steel. What you did do is provide a wear surface for the bolt as the keel pivots. This will wear the bushing and not the bolt, so you will need to asses your bushing periodically (once a year or so?).

Is a bigger bolt necessary? No, since the keel pocket will fail before a factory sized bolt will(1/2 inch). Now, a bigger diameter bolt will give you the advantage of letting it wear through some before it reaches a failing point. I suppose if you don't ever want to check you keel bolt you could put in a really big one - but it's best to check on it periodically.
Flat.
Old 07-12-2009

Flat,
The reason I went to a larger bolt and bronze sleeve was because the hole in the steel bar of the keel was wallered out. I wanted to put the sleeve in to keep that from happening again and also to make the pivot smoother.
I went with a 5/8" bolt because the bushing ( Ace Hardware ), fit the nicest with that size.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-12-2009

Flatfendershop is on a distinguished road
I agree Joe, after seeing yours I drilled out my oval keel hole and did the same, pressed in a sintered bronze bushing. I built my bushing from some raw stock I had so went with the stock 1/2 inch bolt size for the bore. The O.D. of my bushing turned out to be 1.002, so it pressed in good and snug.

Have you had your boat on the water lately? I went the last two Saturdays. Wheee!
Old 07-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfendershop View Post
I agree Joe, after seeing yours I drilled out my oval keel hole and did the same, pressed in a sintered bronze bushing. I built my bushing from some raw stock I had so went with the stock 1/2 inch bolt size for the bore. The O.D. of my bushing turned out to be 1.002, so it pressed in good and snug.

Have you had your boat on the water lately? I went the last two Saturdays. Wheee!
Yeah, I went out last week after work. I sailed from 5pm till 8:30. The wind was perfect. It was the most pleasurable sail I've had yet.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-13-2009

UPDATE - Trailer work
Today I was able to get some work done on the trailer. Put a new hitch on, along with a new winch. Slowly but surely. Looks good too. You guys are getting me excited about having a lake-worthy vessel. Can't wait to be on the water! Here are some pics of the work today.
(Flickr: kreed17er's Photostream)
Old 07-13-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
Since this is the ever-wandering-topic Venture 17 thread, I'll go on a slight tangent... Anyone have any real simple, nearly-free methods of getting the mast up and down without a helper? I made something that I think will work but I haven't tried it yet. I bought a 10' piece of 2" dia. PVC pipe ($4) and some elbows and caps. ($6) I made essentially a 18" wide set of field goal uprights that are at the end of an 8' pole. I plan to attach this to the steel mast crutch that rides in the gudgeons when trailering. With it, I can support the mast at maybe 25 degrees from horizontal. Enough to keep the gooseneck from sitting on the hatch at least. From there I'm thinking I can pull the front stay and get the mast upright myself. Lowering would be the reverse (which is why the field goal posts are wider -- bigger target to hit) The whole thing weighs about 5 lbs and rides inside the boat during transport, and can be bungeed to the empty trailer while I'm boating. Will it work? I'm going to try it next time out. I guess I can always flag down some kayaker to help if it doesn't work...
Old 07-14-2009

frankdrebin is on a distinguished road
I "armstrong" mine upright against the shrouds. Then I use a dock line to "lengthen" the jib halyard, (pre-fastened), which I wrap around the pulpit. Pull tight, throw on a couple of half hitches to secure, and it's two free hands to pin the forestay.

I stand in the cockpit on one side of the mast using both arms to support the mast as I lift it off what looks like the factory mast support. Then I step up on the "seats" one foot each starboard and port. Then I kneel on the companionway hatch, as I push the mast forward.. Then I stand on the hatch, mast in place.

While holding the mast in place with the halyard, walk forward to secure the halyard/dock line to the pulpit.

The hard part is remembering to replace the mast support before unpinning the forestay when unstepping. I bent my boom vang tackle on the hatch, I did.

Last edited by frankdrebin; 07-14-2009 at 03:20 AM.