Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009

KoleDeRacer is on a distinguished road
Belive it not thats what i was thinking about painting it with the boat is only 300 and its in b=pretty good shape no rot. Its really just ugly needs paint and i dont want to spend alot... it has 2jibs and they are both in good shape and in has a genoa or spiniker not sure which it is on these boats and its in ok shape the only problem is the main was in a fight with a rat and it took some out up top but i think i can patch it easy enough do you know how much a new sail would cost?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoleDeRacer View Post
Belive it not thats what i was thinking about painting it with the boat is only 300 and its in b=pretty good shape no rot. Its really just ugly needs paint and i dont want to spend alot... it has 2jibs and they are both in good shape and in has a genoa or spiniker not sure which it is on these boats and its in ok shape the only problem is the main was in a fight with a rat and it took some out up top but i think i can patch it easy enough do you know how much a new sail would cost?
Anew mainsail is around $300. If you paint with latex, prime it with oil base primer first. That is critical for adhesion.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-15-2009

Could i get some more info on your painting process
Old 02-15-2009

Quote:
Could i get some more info on your painting process
Go to Lowe's and buy one gallon of their best oil base primer, and Valspar semi-gloss exterior acrylic latex of what ever color you choose.
Make sure all your surfaces are as clean and dry as possible. If you are unsure of the surface condition, lightly sand it for maximum adhesion.
If you want shine, roll it on and tip it with a dry brush, for top side areas where you want to walk just roll it on and leave it. It will leave a small amount of ruffness for grip .
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-17-2009

Ok The oil base primer is not to cheap... Also does you boat have genoa or spiniker? If so do you know how it rig it? i have the pole but all the fixtures have neen taken off the boat.
Old 02-17-2009

Quote:
Ok The oil base primer is not to cheap... Also does you boat have genoa or spiniker? If so do you know how it rig it? i have the pole but all the fixtures have neen taken off the boat.
Primer is only $20 per gallon, give or take a few bucks.
I have a jib and a 130 genoa. I had a spinaker that was pretty rough but no pole. I have never tried to use one so I never invested in a pole or new spinaker. I could easily be wrong, but from my ( limited ) experience, lake sailing doesn't give to many oportunities for a spinaker. The wind is always shifting around, and that's not so good with a spinaker.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-17-2009

frankdrebin is on a distinguished road
Rig a preventer, pole out the genoa, and sail wing and wing. Being small and light, these boats are a hand full. I don't have a spinaker or the pole for one, but I can't imagine a spinaker would be effective enough to warrant it's use. Hull speed is not that great. You're going to be slow no mater what you do. If you want pics of my setup, wait a few months (My boat is buried under two feet of snow), and PM me.
Old 02-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdrebin View Post
Rig a preventer, pole out the genoa, and sail wing and wing. Being small and light, these boats are a hand full. I don't have a spinaker or the pole for one, but I can't imagine a spinaker would be effective enough to warrant it's use. Hull speed is not that great. You're going to be slow no mater what you do. If you want pics of my setup, wait a few months (My boat is buried under two feet of snow), and PM me.
Hey, whada-ya-mean, slow hull speed? I outran a Chrysler 22 last summer !

No, seriously, your right, hull speed is about 5.5 knots. But with such a small boat and being close to the water, it still feels pretty fast. And there are those boats that you can beat...
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-18-2009

Lucky i live in texas lol 75 today and sunny. Anyway i just started sanding the hull i will post some pictures up later. I really need some help with the riging though the mast is simi rigged but i have no clue if its right and etc pictures of anyones rigging would be really helpful. I think i have 4 different sails just for reference i have the main, jib, A large colorful sail that i belive is the genoa and a smaller sail that is the same type of material as the main and jib but is shorter then the jib but wider at the botom with clips on one side i think it is probably the spiniker?

Here are some pictures from the day i got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Venture 17 restoration-boat6.jpg   Venture 17 restoration-boat5.jpg   Venture 17 restoration-boat4.jpg   Venture 17 restoration-boat3.jpg   Venture 17 restoration-boat1.jpg  

SailingV17 likes this.
Old 02-18-2009

You've got your work cut out for you. I'll try to get a drawing or picture for you this evening.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !