Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
Since this is the ever-wandering-topic Venture 17 thread, I'll go on a slight tangent... Anyone have any real simple, nearly-free methods of getting the mast up and down without a helper? I made something that I think will work but I haven't tried it yet. I bought a 10' piece of 2" dia. PVC pipe ($4) and some elbows and caps. ($6) I made essentially a 18" wide set of field goal uprights that are at the end of an 8' pole. I plan to attach this to the steel mast crutch that rides in the gudgeons when trailering. With it, I can support the mast at maybe 25 degrees from horizontal. Enough to keep the gooseneck from sitting on the hatch at least. From there I'm thinking I can pull the front stay and get the mast upright myself. Lowering would be the reverse (which is why the field goal posts are wider -- bigger target to hit) The whole thing weighs about 5 lbs and rides inside the boat during transport, and can be bungeed to the empty trailer while I'm boating. Will it work? I'm going to try it next time out. I guess I can always flag down some kayaker to help if it doesn't work...
Here's the way I do it.
Attaching the mast on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Raising the mast on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2009

hammerguy is on a distinguished road
Joe... cool video... gotta love a small mast. My V22 nearly killed me to get the mast up and down by myself. Have you ever tried raising from the stern so that the shrouds can be connected first? I'll sometimes do it that way, though getting from the cockpit to cabin top can be really difficult while you're pushing 50 lbs of mast. With the trailer tongue on the ground (and the stern blocked) then gravity can sometimes help.

Best
BG
Brian Gilbert
Author, Fix It And Sail, The Complete Trailer Sailor
Old 07-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerguy View Post
Joe... cool video... gotta love a small mast. My V22 nearly killed me to get the mast up and down by myself. Have you ever tried raising from the stern so that the shrouds can be connected first? I'll sometimes do it that way, though getting from the cockpit to cabin top can be really difficult while you're pushing 50 lbs of mast. With the trailer tongue on the ground (and the stern blocked) then gravity can sometimes help.

Best
BG
Brian Gilbert
Author, Fix It And Sail, The Complete Trailer Sailor
I have always done it this way. Mainly because the trailer has that roller on the front, which is very helpful. I never knew what the proper way was, so I just did it the way it seemed best for me. Now I've got it down this way, so it's easy. I have thought, if I wanted to lower the mast to go under a bridge, I would have to lower it to the stern, but I haven't tried it yet.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-15-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
(Lieutenant) Frank Drebin, I'm going to try that method in the driveway this afternoon, with a neighbor spotting me in case something goes wrong. I didn't know one could stand on the hatch cover. Mine has the anti-slip coating on it, but it also has a crack at one side, in the half-round cutout at the rear -- I figured it was from someone standing on it. I weight about 170. 180 after getting soaked up to my waist trying to get the boat off the trailer.

Joevacs -- that's another way to do it! Last time I had mine out I left the shrouds attached while trailering. Less to setup next time, and I was able to coil the cables and secure them so they aren't rubbing/snagging anything.

I don't have the high-up roller on my trailer like you do. Although I have a threaded hole I can run some sort of schedule 40 pipe into -- so I could make just about anything if I needed to. I'd be leary of holding the mast with one hand and only having the forestay to hold it. I'm the tall scrawny type -- the mast has nearly gotten away from me before. Thank you for the videos though! That's one way to keep the gooseneck off of the hatch!

Great breeze here (Central PA) today -- if I can single-hand it in the driveway I'm heading to the river or the lake and trying it again!

Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2009

I think my boat sails better with just one or two on it. I have sailed with a total of 4 and even 5 on board, but it doesn't handle as good.
I reinforced my hatch top with a couple of pieces of teak. Mine had a crack in it too.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-15-2009

Is there a picture of your reinforcement? I bought some teak to redo what's on the boat. I'll have scraps. Is it on the top or bottom?

My PVC mast crutch thing worked great in the driveway and it worked great down at the river! It does bend pretty good though -- I might shove a length of 1 3/4" PVC inside the 2" stuff to stiffen it up.

I used a 1" ratchet strap (one end wrapped around mast, the other end hooked to the bow cleat) to pull the mast tight while I fiddled with the forestay. I also used it to provide some resistance in letting the mast down in the driveway -- but then I thought if it would jam with the mast almost down it'd be a pain to correct.

I am still making newbie mistakes like trying to approach the ramp with the centerboard down (doh!) but it was my first solo sail!

What a blast! Local yacht club was having their lightning race. Just a great day on the water!
Old 07-15-2009

Quote:
Is there a picture of your reinforcement? I bought some teak to redo what's on the boat. I'll have scraps. Is it on the top or bottom?

My PVC mast crutch thing worked great in the driveway and it worked great down at the river! It does bend pretty good though -- I might shove a length of 1 3/4" PVC inside the 2" stuff to stiffen it up.

I used a 1" ratchet strap (one end wrapped around mast, the other end hooked to the bow cleat) to pull the mast tight while I fiddled with the forestay. I also used it to provide some resistance in letting the mast down in the driveway -- but then I thought if it would jam with the mast almost down it'd be a pain to correct.

I am still making newbie mistakes like trying to approach the ramp with the centerboard down (doh!) but it was my first solo sail!

What a blast! Local yacht club was having their lightning race. Just a great day on the water!
Flickr Photo Download: IMGP0626
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-15-2009

Sure 'nuff! I really need to set up a flickr or whatever. I took some great pictures today.
Old 07-15-2009

Quote:
Sure 'nuff! I really need to set up a flickr or whatever. I took some great pictures today.
Get'em up and post 'em on here !
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-17-2009

Flickr: sealovertech's Photostream

That should work. There are a few more but they're still on my camera phone. I need to find the cord to connect it to the computer. Otherwise it's 25 cents to email it from my phone...

The sailing photo shows the cracks in my hatch. The boat really looks grubby in that picture!

Last edited by sealover; 07-17-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.