Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
Fishfinder on the winch board... hmm.. I'd probably end up tripping over it or stepping on it with my inherent clumsiness. I figured I'd mount it somewhere below where you have your speakers. On the starboard side I have a compass where you have a speaker.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
I didn't really need mine, and never tripped over it, but I can see how it could've been in the way.
Went sailing today. Man what a good sail. It gets better every time.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 07-21-2009

I think I'm going out today -- keeping an ear to the weather radio and an eye to the sky. 30% chance of t-storms.

Another newbie question for everyone: There's a snap shackle on the chainplate at the bow. It's in the aft hole (there's two holes in my chainplate) I put the forestay in the forward hole. What's this for? Was it from some spinnaker long ago? The anchor was kept on the pulpit but would there be a reason to have a quick-release anchor that would require a snap shackle? And even then, you'd tie it off to the deck cleat, not have it yank on the chainplate, right?
Old 08-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
I think I'm going out today -- keeping an ear to the weather radio and an eye to the sky. 30% chance of t-storms.

Another newbie question for everyone: There's a snap shackle on the chainplate at the bow. It's in the aft hole (there's two holes in my chainplate) I put the forestay in the forward hole. What's this for? Was it from some spinnaker long ago? The anchor was kept on the pulpit but would there be a reason to have a quick-release anchor that would require a snap shackle? And even then, you'd tie it off to the deck cleat, not have it yank on the chainplate, right?
Seal, I would guess that's where your jib tack attaches.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 08-18-2009

Should I be using a quick release / snap shackle for my jib tack?
Old 08-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
Should I be using a quick release / snap shackle for my jib tack?
I used one for awhile, but was worried about it snapping off, so I now use a regular shackle. I may go back to the easy way for light air days though. It's so much easier to get everything rigged quickly when little things like that are implemented. I also used one for my main sheet connection to the boom.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 08-19-2009

Gotcha - so the quick release is only there to make it easy and quick to rig or switch sails. I was trying to think of a reason why one would want to quickly release the tack of the jib in a storm or emergency. Makes more sense now.
Old 09-16-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I just wanted to update and ask a few questions... Well, after a summer of sailing my Hobie and repairing it to a state of, Ican grab it and sail now, so I don't need to keep it at home, I dropped it off at the storage unit and grabbed my Venture and brought her home...

In a nutshell, I got the shop vac out, cleared out all the rainwater, sucked out all the nasty-ness in the cabin, cleared all the trash (finally it was within close proximity to a trash can) and took her for a short spin.

I had to rig up the rigging, though. My forestay I cut too short, I don't have all the right blocks and shackles/hardware, but I got some parts leftover from the hobie project and a stop off at Home Depot and I was at least able to take her out.

Also, I had my wife repair the rip in the sail. And then reinforced it with colored Duct tape... yeah, I konw, but the sail is onits last leg anyway, and I figured I could get a few sails out of her like this before it destroys itself.

So I updated some pics and a video of my boat on my picassa page here: Picasa Web Albums - Andrew - Venture 17

I have a few rigging questions. I understand the standing rigging okay, its the running rigging I have questions with. There is a double block to a single block halfway down the boom. Whats that for? And does anyone use a boom stay rope from the end of the boom to the mast head? Does that interfere with trying to "flatten" the sails in heavier winds? Anywho, please watch my little video on the picassa page.. it has all my questions, and I'm late for work. later
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2009

Andrew, At the end of the video reference the two cleats on the starboard side, an eyelet, and then the cleat and eyelet on the port side. The eyelets are for the jibsheets to go through before tying them off on the cleats. Mine only has one cleat on each side of the hatch. (then the two on the stern, one on the bow)

I'd like to see how your boom support was created. I wish I had one -- pain to motor off the dock with passengers sitting there and a boom and pile of sail laying in their laps.

Maybe your double block was some sort of vang? Mine doesn't have that. My '73 17' is really growing on me! Easy to tow, easy to rig and cheap to fix. My forestay is nearly shot at the loop at the bottom. I saw maybe 3 broken strands and planned on keeping a close eye on it. 1 time out in "fresh" winds and a WHOLE lot more are broken. More than half. I bought vinyl-coated galvanized cable from Lowe's along with a swaging tool and fittings. I'm going to double up on the swaged fittings and see how it does. Nobody local has stainless. I did some tests on a sample piece and couldn't break it under heavy loads or heavy shock.
Old 09-16-2009

Andrew,
I would guess the double block under the boom is maybe where somebody had rigged a traveler for the main. maybe it was connected to the winch bunk. What you showed it connected to makes no since at all. That is a loop for the jib sheet to feed through. Neither of those was on the boat from the factory. The block on the boom is too far away from the mast to be a vang. The eye on the deck, near the mast looks like maybe it was used to pull the main halyard through. The block at the rear of the boom was most likely used for a lazy jack system.
The holes in the fore deck are where your bow pulpit was obviously ripped from the deck.
My boat actually looked as bad or worse than yours, so enjoy the rebuild
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !

Last edited by Joevacs; 09-16-2009 at 10:01 PM.