Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post

I'd like to see how your boom support was created. I wish I had one -- pain to motor off the dock with passengers sitting there and a boom and pile of sail laying in their laps.

I put a "Boomkicker" on mine. It works very well to hold the mast up without having to run a line from the top of the mast. You should be able to google it and see what I'm talking about. I don't think I have any pictures of that. I'll try to take one.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
I don't remember who asked this, but the line that holds the boom up is simply an eye bracket riveted to the mast at the top, and and eye bracket on the end of the boom... I'm thinking of shackling a line or wire from up top to a quick connect down below, that way I could release it once the main is up and cleat it to the mast... I actually just thought of that... I have some leftover side stays from the hobie... One of those ought to be long enough...

Regarding the eyelets for the jib sheet, I'm assuming they used to have platic bushings in them? I would imagine the sheets would chafe something fierce as they are now...

And the reason I'm not using galvanized from Lowe's is because I think galvenized will rust, even the plastic coated... However, for the kind of loads these boats will take, it ought to work fine, just keep it inspected for rust. I konw home depot here carries 3/16 in stainless, but nothing smaller, and thats a little overkill... Again, I ahve a sail shop relatively close, and they made my forestay, I just measured it wrong... Pathagorean only works if you're in the same plane, and I didn't account for the rise in the cabin roof from the foredeck...

There is a hinge thingy at the base of my mast facing the stern, is that for the boom support you were talking about Joe? Are there any "stock" pics of these boats out of the factory besides the one from the "brochure"? So I could see what "origially" was on here, so I can see what's been added, and also to see what upgrades I should invest in so I don't waste money fixing things that are outdated...

Later guys, glad to be back...
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2009

Andrew,
I haven't found any good pictures of unaltered boats. I can tell you though. All you need is a cam cleat on each side, either on the top corner of the cabin, beside the hatch cover, for the jib sheets ( look at my pictures again, my original ones are still there altough I never use them ) or on the sides of the cockpit where I have them so they're easier to reach. The only other hardware you need for the jib is a pulley on the mast for the halyard,a cleat to tie off the halyard on the mast, and a place to attach the jib to the deck near where the forestay attaches. The hanks on the jib attach to the forestay.
For the mainsail, you need the head block at the top of the mast for the main halyard and a cleat to tie it off at the bottom. The mainsheet goes from a eye on the starboard side aft, through a fiddle pulley at the rear of the boom, then down to the pulley on the port side, aft. Then it goes back through the fiddle on the boom, and back down to the swivel cam cleat on the starboard aft side. ( watch my videos )
That's all you really have to have. Anything that occurs to you to make things easier after you're out there on the water, can be added back when you need it.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 09-30-2009

hectormaclaren is on a distinguished road
hello everyone i am new
the keel of my venture 17. as many like it, it is broken and cracked my plan was to get a 5/8 plate steel 12 in at the top and 16in at the bottom 5 ft long painted or powdercoated and shove that up there. when removing the old one all the resin came off as well as the lead plates and they are in really bad shape. my question is in your opion do you think this would work? it will be heavy. but as i wrote this i know realized that the wait wont be at the bottom it will be throughout do you think this will cause any problems.any help would be great
Old 09-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectormaclaren View Post
hello everyone i am new
the keel of my venture 17. as many like it, it is broken and cracked my plan was to get a 5/8 plate steel 12 in at the top and 16in at the bottom 5 ft long painted or powdercoated and shove that up there. when removing the old one all the resin came off as well as the lead plates and they are in really bad shape. my question is in your opion do you think this would work? it will be heavy. but as i wrote this i know realized that the wait wont be at the bottom it will be throughout do you think this will cause any problems.any help would be great
Your idea should be fine as long as you bolt the lead to the bottom of your new plate. You need between 250 and 300 lbs
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 10-01-2009

hammerguy is on a distinguished road
You should also ncrease the size of the pivot bolt. I went from 1/2" to 5/8" Grade 8, and it still bent a little. Your keel will work better if it has some kind of foil shape. Best, BG
Old 10-01-2009

hectormaclaren is on a distinguished road
would painting be enough to keep the rust out/ off? my pivot bolt is less than 1/2 i was just going to use the original its in really good shape.
sorry i dont know what you mean by foil shape could you explain or send a pic please?
where is the best place to get foam for the interior if i wanted to put down new cushioning? i have tried ace, home depot and wallmart.
i should be able to get it into the water in the next couple weeks hopefully it wont be too cold by the time i finish it. it seemed like such a great deal for $250 but i have spent over $200 in tools alone ha ha oh well it will be worth it when i finish it. thank you guys for your help
Old 10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectormaclaren View Post
would painting be enough to keep the rust out/ off? my pivot bolt is less than 1/2 i was just going to use the original its in really good shape.
sorry i dont know what you mean by foil shape could you explain or send a pic please?
where is the best place to get foam for the interior if i wanted to put down new cushioning? i have tried ace, home depot and wallmart.
i should be able to get it into the water in the next couple weeks hopefully it wont be too cold by the time i finish it. it seemed like such a great deal for $250 but i have spent over $200 in tools alone ha ha oh well it will be worth it when i finish it. thank you guys for your help
If you're talking about your new keel- painting to stop rust, - Yes if you use a good primer and good paint it will keep it from rusting.
A foil shape is like an airplane wing. () It will work better than a flat side, although with the hull speed of these boats being about 5.5 knots I don't think it's all that critical to shape the keel.
You could probably find foam cushions at a furniture re-upholstery place.
For $250 initial investment you should be able to put a lot into the boat without exceeding it's value. I've got over $4500 in mine ( more than it's worth ), and it's still a work in progress, but for me that's half the fun.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 10-02-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Just wanted to say thanks for the link posted way back early in this thread on Epoxy ..I'm learning allot from that site...Also my first boat was a V17/V21...had a lot of memories made for life on that boat. Great safe and stable learning platform..and don't worry they do come back up from a knockdown no problem...just grab the keel and she will ship a full mainsail full of water with a 170 pound guy standing in it up to his waist in water no problem..

Carry on

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for the link posted way back early in this thread on Epoxy ..I'm learning allot from that site...Carry on
Me too
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !