Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009

hectormaclaren is on a distinguished road
hey guys i was wondering if you could help me i finally got my boat in the water i have had it since july and been working on it the whole time. anyway i had to replace my keel just like everyone on here and when i put it in the water yesterday water started coming in not flooding but enough to worry about. at the moment i just have a regular washer on either side i was thinking a rubber washer and lots of silicone would this work or what did you guys use.
venture 17 #37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectormaclaren View Post
hey guys i was wondering if you could help me i finally got my boat in the water i have had it since july and been working on it the whole time. anyway i had to replace my keel just like everyone on here and when i put it in the water yesterday water started coming in not flooding but enough to worry about. at the moment i just have a regular washer on either side i was thinking a rubber washer and lots of silicone would this work or what did you guys use.
I reused the rubber washers that came on the boat on each side but mine were kinda old so I made a couple more out of an innertube and used them with the old ones. Mine seals up real good now. Not a drop. If you don't have the rubber washers, make some from an old tire or something.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 12-21-2009

jordanwalker1531 is on a distinguished road
How does you guys figure out what number your V - 17 is? I just bought one and it would be nice to find out. Also, anyone have advice for getting a bit of ice out of the boat?
Old 12-21-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
I found a little bit of ice in the back of my cockpit the other week. My winter storage is an unheated barn. The barn owner pulled my boat out to get at something during a rainstorm. Backed it in an hour later but with some water in the cockpit. I was worried about the expansion of the ice cracking the fiberglass but it didn't seem to do any damage.

When I got there it was chunks of ice floating in water so I just threw the chunks out then used my little siphon pump / bilge pump to pump the water out.

It's one of those $3.99 jobs from Harbor Freight. I think they call it a transfer pump. Has an inlet hose and an outlet hose. I was thinking of mounting it with the inlet down in the bilge but didn't get to yet. (maybe I won't... then I couldn't move it - - or maybe I'll just get a second one)

Worked great.

If it's still solid ice... I guess it's not going to hurt anything. It's already ice. When it becomes water you'd be best to get it out. Old bath towels, a turkey baster, whatever... I scrubbed everywhere I could reach with Clorox Cleanup and that really got rid of the musty smell.

If you can get the boat in a garage set up some fans or a dehumidifier. (or both)

And I don't have my hull number handy. (I'm at work)

Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwalker1531 View Post
How does you guys figure out what number your V - 17 is? I just bought one and it would be nice to find out. Also, anyone have advice for getting a bit of ice out of the boat?
Jordan , your hull number is on the starboard, aft riser under the quarter birth, right behind the cockpit drain pipe.

Flickr Photo Download: 0206 039
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 12-22-2009

Is the cockpit drain pipe the hole the centerboard pendant goes through? I have no other drain, but saw what I believe was another Venture 17 with a little scupper through the transom. And if the cockpit was swamped, would the boat sit high enough to actually drain out the cockpit drain? I get water splashing in mine from that hole if I forget to put the little rubber stopper in it.
Old 12-23-2009

yes that's the cockpit drain. I don't know about a plug for that drain hole. My boat doesn't have a plug. I get a little bit of water in the cockpit floor occasionally but nothing to worry about. One thing that I have noticed is when the keel is all the way down, it rarely comes in at all, but when it's pulled half way up, it's more likely. Obviously with the keel weight further aft the drain is deeper in the water. As to the cockpit being totally swamped, the drain would take a while to empty, but if you stood on the bow, or if all onboard stood upfront, it should offset the weight of the water enough so that it would drain out. It would probably be wise to leave the plug out in heavy seas, so that if you get a large dose of water it won't have to wait for you to pull the plug to drain out.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 01-02-2010

Good thinking. My plug is essentially a really fat wine cork. It's black rubber, but it's like little bits of rubber stuck together. Like running tracks, or gym floor mats. It has a slit cut in it for the pendant. It may even be homemade. Works well for keeping splashing water out.
Old 01-02-2010

jordanwalker1531 is on a distinguished road
i dont even know if i can fit back there haha. ill have my gf do it. do you guys have any advice or things to look out for while working with this boat?
Old 01-02-2010

Got a Windex for Christmas. I was also thinking of putting a masthead light up there when I electrify the boat. I run off the 12V lighter plug on an automotive jumpstarter thing. Only draw presently is the depth/fishfinder/GPS. Interior lights are those silly stick-on battery powered LED touch lamps. (work great, actually!) Current lighting is clamp on flashlight with the red/green split. Anchor light is broken but was the same setup. Would like to go all LED to preserve the battery. Having a cable slap around inside the mast would drive me nuts. Is there some way to keep it from doing that? I thought about shooting expanding foam in there, but I'd want to put the wire in a plastic conduit in case there was a problem later on. But that all adds weight to a mast that I raise and lower solo, "Armstrong" style. It would also make the mast buoyant, which is a plus.

And since I'm going LEDs, why not keep it light and cheap and use 4 conductor telephone cord? There's a good way to plug it in too! Not exactly waterproof though...
Thoughts?