Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012

sealover is on a distinguished road
I've thought about that -- I think the MacGregor owners manual even suggests using the winch hooked to the tow vehicle's hitch, the trailer jack has a wheel on it so it would roll itself right in. I have no idea where the ramp ends, and with the power boater's policy of using all 300 horsepower to blast their boat up the last two inches onto their trailer, I'm sure there's quite a crater at the end of the ramp! My primary problem is retrieving, not launching. Launching I can usually jam the brakes on enough to slide it off if it's not cooperating. And I'm almost always single handed.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyweirdos View Post
Hey I have a question for you. On your boat, do you run the jib sheets to the gunnels by the seat backs or do you lead them to the top of the cabin? I am trying to plan my deck layout. Do you ever adjust the block that is mounted to the forward jib track? Not sure if those tracks should go back on or not?
Also, do you have access to your boat now? I am trying to figure out the original placement of the mast. I think the previous owner may have moved it back on my boat. The companionway hatch was actually restricted by the mast mounting plate. Does yours hit too?
Thanks!
Jib sheets go through little hoops toward the rear of the cabin top, then I removed the cleats that were there and added cam cleats. (well worth the $20 something each) My tiller is pretty long - when single handing I can sit far forward so the jib sheets are within reach. I don't have a jib track.

As far as the mast -- yes, the hatch hits the mount. The mast is right above the mast support inside the cabin, and that mast support is right at the spot where the floor changes elevation. (or more correctly, it changes from a floor to a berth) If my mast step weren't there, The hatch would only slide forward another couple inches. It's really not a big deal, but I don't know why they made the opening so large if it's not totally usable. Maybe to get some of those interior pieces of plywood out you'd need that entire opening???

I don't store my boat at my house, but I do have pictures and the rudder, jib, some of the cushions, and other random parts are here.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 01-08-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
A tongue extension might be a good idea for you will give you 4' for of trailer basically when your backing the boat up but not for trailering.
Old 01-08-2012

I made one. It's 12' of square tube that slides into a slightly larger square tube welded under the tongue of the trailer. The 12' piece has a hitch coupling on the end, and it stores on the trailer, off to the side. In use, it provides an extra 10' - necessary when I was towing with my wagon. After I got a truck, I didn't use it. It was quite a pain and added time to my launch and retrieving. A built-in tongue extension would be nice -- just pull a pin and it slides out another 4' -- but the design of my trailer really doesn't lend itself to that. The two main rails of the trailer bend and form a welded V near the front -- I'd have to cut that away to get a piece of square tube (extension) to fit between them. Wouldn't be impossible. Just a pain. I'll see how the new truck does. It's an "off road" model that sits up higher, and it's longer than my old truck. I'll be happy if I can open the door and step out onto dry ramp.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 01-10-2012

hollyweirdos is on a distinguished road
Thanks for checking into those things. I think I am going to move the mast base and post slightly so that things dont hit. The deck is off mine right now so I can do the work on the inside.
Old 02-19-2012

Did you move the mast step? I wonder how it will sail if you move it.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 02-20-2012

hollyweirdos is on a distinguished road
Morning,

I did move the mast step. It is now bolted on so that the hatch opens fully. The rig went up without issue, but I havent had it our for the first sail yet. Actually took the boat out on the water yesterday for the first time. It was mostly just a test to see if it floated right and had any leaks.
I also re-engineered the forestay mount. It is now mounted right in the middle of an anchor roller on a pad eye. I made a cool design to back up the roller from the inside so that I dont peel the deck back when sailing. All the pics are on that other site. Too much work to repost all those pics here.

In deep on my V17 - Page 10 - SailboatOwners.com

Hope you like!
Old 05-31-2012

Venture 17 restoration

I was inspired to do some modifications. I cut out a section of plywood seat (or rear berth?) for storage. It's all empty under there! For the cost of 2 hinges I have a lot more storage for spare hardware, tools, and line that I hopefully won't need but don't want to be without. The stuff used to live in a big plastic tub that was always in the way.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 05-31-2012

MacV17RI is on a distinguished road
Re: Venture 17 restoration

Pics??
Old 06-05-2012

Re: Venture 17 restoration

Pics!

I removed the metal edging, marked the plywood, cut it with a router (I don't have a circular saw) cut the aluminum edging to match, installed a pair of hinges (upside down -- they don't stick up as far and shouldn't snag on the cushion if I put it back in place) And it was done. Now my tub-o-junk is not a nuisance -- it's ballast!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21

Last edited by sealover; 06-05-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: still figuring out interwebs