Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012

phoenix02 is on a distinguished road
Re: Venture 17 restoration

Not sure what year my 17 is but my keel pivot is held in by an aluminum block contraption bracket and I can't figure it out. The keel fell off the pivot and now I'm trying to remove the brackets from the boat. I snapped one bolt off already and one was missing. Now I have one of the brackets out so I can see some of the components. I'm going to a shop to try their impact on the other bracket. 3/4" bolt head so it's pretty stout.

Anyway, what fell out so far on my driveway is a cracked brass bushing with a cotter pin thru the middle of it and an aluminum rod that slips inside the brass bushing. The cotter pin stops the aluminum rod at half engagement. I havent looked up into keel box to see what else there is to the pivot. I suspect that there is another brass bushing for the other side that may have fell out into the water when the keel popped loose.

Anyone know what this assembly is supposed to look like? I'm a machine designer and can't understand how it works. Are parts still available anywhere?

I have a pic but haven't learned how to post it yet. I thought I'd post this pic-less in case someone else knows about this pivot arrangement. I'll post the pic later.

Last edited by phoenix02; 06-09-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2012

sealover is on a distinguished road

A picture would be most helpful! Get the picture on the interwebs somehow -- flickr or whatever. Then copy the URL and when you're posting on here, click the little yellowy "postcard" looking icon and enter the URL. Easy peasy! I do my posting from an iContraption so I use an app called "CraigUpload" for posting junk to craigslist. But it works just fine for this too. ANd it's free, and easy. I've never used it, but they have a website for computer users. Craigupload.com - Picture upload, resize, and generate post them in one step! Also claims to be free and easy. And it makes gigantic pictures normal sized so they don't take a week to download and take up your whole screen.

I'd like to see what you're talking about. I've never even inspected my keel bolt. I'm a worrier so I'm certain the center of it is worn down to the thickness of a toothpick and it will fail at any minute. (then I'd have a 400 lb. anchor dangling from a 8' steel wire out the bottom of my boat) How DID you get it back on the trailer anyhow???

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 06-11-2012

phoenix02 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the pic tip. So okay, there is the pic of my pivot bracket components:

There are two aluminum box brackets and two bushings. One aluminum peg.

Maybe the small aluminum pin in each bracket is an alignment pin aligning the two brackets.
Old 06-11-2012

Wow. I have NO idea what that is. To be sure -- that is the pivot point for the entire keel? And to remove it you'd have to go inside the cabin and remove the rather large bolt out of that fiberglass protrusion just aft of the mast support? That would allow the keel to fall out of the bottom of the boat (putting a rather large dent in the driveway) , exposing this thing, visible from directly under the boat?

Am I correct?

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 06-12-2012

cfmancino is on a distinguished road

My wife and I use the rubber bulb off of a turkey baster to plug the drain hole when we sail. Just push the narrow (open)end in next to the keel cable. Works great!
Old 09-03-2012

Venture 17 restoration

Turkey baster bulb sounds great. Mine came with a big rubber "cork" with a groove cut in it for the cable. It's heavy enough that it doesn't blow out of the cockpit when towing.

Have fun! I plan to put another under-berth storage area in mine. (see my previous post). I might also cut a compartment into the V berth for my battery (a car jump starter with a 12V charger /lighter port) leaving the entire inside empty when sailing. And putting all the weight low and secure in the boat.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 12-22-2012

Sailing season is effectively over here in PA. Boat-dreaming-season in full swing! Anyone have a dodger on their V17? I 've been dreaming of building a small hard dodger for wet or cold days. Sitting on the block of wood that the keel winch hangs from is pretty comfy. Legs inside the cabin, hatch slid back. Got through a rainy afternoon like that. All controls were accessible and my tiller clutch kept me on course. But I still got a wet head and face. I was smiling the whole time, but I wear prescription glasses and don't like them being rain- splattered the whole trip. A dodger would have perfect.

I was thinking of a hard dodger that just clears the boom (which I could raise easily enough) with a wood or possibly PVC frame and plexi windows and roof. A simple hand-powered wiper (as found on street rods) could clear a small portion of the window for clear visibility of oncoming boats, etc. The rest would be waxed so rain would bead up and fall away.

Roof would be a tinted piece of plexi so sail and masthead windex would be visible, but dark enough to avoid cooking if the weather turned sunny. Controls could be led inside the dodger, or I could reach around it to access them.

I even have visions of using the boat as a cold weather fishing boat. I could even mount some blocks on the lifeline stanchions and steer the boat with a lever or wheel from the comfort of a semi-enclosed cockpit. - basically a boom tent and dodger combo. No upward visibility needed, as I'd be motoring only.

I know it's not what these were designed for, but they do motor quite well, even with a tiny motor. And dropping the keel helps with rocking in "Chesapeake chop". My cabin provides a private head, a butane stove, and shelter. Sure beats an open fishing boat in late November.

Am I crazy?

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 06-04-2013

SailingV17 is on a distinguished road

I just brought home a Venture 17. It needs the same deck work as yours. I hope I do 1/2 as good as you did on my restoration. I know it's been a little while but any advice you have as far as epoxy brands would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2013

Venture 17 restoration

Anyone still subscribed to this? I sold my 17 and bought a V21. The guy who bought my V17 had big plans to repaint and reupholster - at last update he was well on his way and it was looking good. I'm amazed at the number of parts that fit both boats - the rudder/tiller are identical. (Unless one of my boats had the wrong one when I got it). Teak hatch rails are the same, V-berth cushions are darn close - with the 17 actually being a bit bigger - more flared out at the bow. The 21 does have a bigger "sitting area" in the cabin, and more headroom. It also has a fiberglass liner instead of a bare floor/hull inside. (Not sure if that's a good thing or not)

The cockpit is longer too. The mast is the same extrusion but longer (so you could make a V17 "tall rig" if you wanted to)

Bow pulpit looks familiar but I didn't measure.

Just keep that in mind if you need 17 parts - a 21 may have them!

The trailers were deceivingly similar, but not the same. The 17 trailer was as wide as a typical car. The 21 trailer was too wide to fit on a car trailer - it was quite a rig to tow home.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 09-20-2013

capnsack is on a distinguished road

I know that's a few years back now, but what an amazing job. How long did it take?