Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009

KoleDeRacer is on a distinguished road
Its really not as bad as it looks that was when i first picked it up last week. We already sanded most of the right side and it is mostly white now the top half is actually the tanish color Also we fished sanding most of the wood and being teak it actually looks pretty nice now. And tips on clean/sanding the old paint out of the textured areas?

here are afew pics from when i first got it home and just put the mast up.
Attached Thumbnails
Venture 17 restoration-sail-boat1.jpg   Venture 17 restoration-sail-boat2.jpg   Venture 17 restoration-sail-boat3.jpg  

Last edited by KoleDeRacer; 02-18-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Well it looks like your standing rigging is all there ( except for the bolt for the mast )
I took a couple of pictures of my fittings in the cockpit. The cabin top cam cleats are original equipment I think. I never use them. I use the lower ones with the track for the fore sails. I also took a rear facing view for you to see how the main sheet is run.http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3435/...0963d730_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/...75ab0c31_b.jpg
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-18-2009

ok thanks got a better idea about that i actually have winches on the back too. my only question now is about the ropes in and on the mast.. i accidental pulled a rope out i will take some pics of my questions
Old 02-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoleDeRacer View Post
ok thanks got a better idea about that i actually have winches on the back too. my only question now is about the ropes in and on the mast.. i accidental pulled a rope out i will take some pics of my questions
I can't imagine ever needing winces on a V-17. If you've got wind big enough to need a winch, you would probably be wise to drop the sails and hope you can get out alive. They are definitely not original.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-19-2009

I belive a older man used to sail the boat by himself so not sure what he was using them for maybe to raise or lower sails? probably not the jib though?
Old 02-21-2009

ScottFernandes is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ... and another

Guys, thanks for this thread- just brought my '72 V17 home last weekend. My first boat...

Anyhow, I admire the work you're doing and have done- these are cool little boats.

I'm working out some kinks, which of course means rebuilding the keel, but seems like she's in very original shape. Bought her from original owners in western Kansas, and they were in love with her... she was still filled with the original styrofoam floatation blocks!

Anyhow, I'll be working on her again this weekend and will take some pics covering hardware. Also, the sellers gave me some original docs from MacGregor- rigging and keel operation instructions as well as some sales brochures... not sure if these are online anywhere, so I'll get'em scanned in and posted ASAP... if nothing else they're entertaining (!)

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Venture 17 restoration-112_1263.jpg   Venture 17 restoration-112_1266.jpg   Venture 17 restoration-112_1265.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009

Scott,
Welcome, and it looks like you got a good one. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-21-2009

Nice boat scott i still have the foam too. I still have the original bed pads too. lol I would be interested in the rigging Documents. Anyway update i have almost finished sanding the lower hull and am getting ready to prime it.
I got to crawl into the back yester day to to take of the motor mount ladder and rudder mount so i could sand it and well that is alot of fun. On deck i still have not decided how to sand the textuered areas so if anyone has any pointers please help. My only ideas were to either pressure was or maybe a foam sand block would get down in the bumps?

Why does alot of people have to rebuild the keel?
Old 02-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoleDeRacer View Post
Nice boat scott i still have the foam too. I still have the original bed pads too. lol I would be interested in the rigging Documents. Anyway update i have almost finished sanding the lower hull and am getting ready to prime it.
I got to crawl into the back yester day to to take of the motor mount ladder and rudder mount so i could sand it and well that is alot of fun. On deck i still have not decided how to sand the textuered areas so if anyone has any pointers please help. My only ideas were to either pressure was or maybe a foam sand block would get down in the bumps?

Why does alot of people have to rebuild the keel?
Getting to the back of the quarter berths is a real bugger. That's when a 13 year old helper is nice.
On the nonskid, if it's peeling, I would use Kutzit brand, paint remover. That's what I used on my hull. It had so many layers of paint I couldn't get it smooth. It works very well, you just have to be careful and not let it affect the gel coat. If you are careful, and use it on small areas at a time it will do fine. Make sure and wear a mask though, the fumes are dangerous.
The keel on mine had split and swelled up from intruding water. I think that is a common problem.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 02-21-2009

A picture from after the primer
Attached Thumbnails
Venture 17 restoration-02210529.jpg