Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > MacGregor
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Hey AJ

Hey AJ...
Did you read all the posts on this thread? If not, go back to the first one and look at all my pictures. I documented most of what I did. I didn't use words, just pictures, cause, ... ya' know, their worth a thousand words...
Anyway, if you read all the posts you will see that I used acrylic latex paint the second time around, with very good results, and you can't beat the price. And the center post, under the mast, definitely needs to be there. I put a new one in mine. I used an oak stair rail post from Lowes but anything will do.
I look forward to seeing some pictures of your boat. I started this thread , with the intention of drawing some of you guys out of the woodwork. I am so glad it's working. If this keeps up we'll have to start a V-17 club or something
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !

Last edited by Joevacs; 03-24-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
I think I can post a link to my pics now. Since I was new I had to have 2 posts before the thing would allow a link from me... Here's what I'm looking at, I'll get pics of the cabin another day.

Picasa Web Albums - Andrew - Venture 17
Old 03-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
I think I can post a link to my pics now. Since I was new I had to have 2 posts before the thing would allow a link from me... Here's what I'm looking at, I'll get pics of the cabin another day.

Picasa Web Albums - Andrew - Venture 17
Cool, You have a good platform to start on. The holes in the fore deck came from having the bow pulpit ripped off. The fore stay is supposed to attach to the bracket on your mast that you said you don't know what it is. There is a bolt that connects both of those side pieces and a block ( pulley) goes on that bolt for your jib halyard and the forestay also attaches to that bolt. I don't think I've got a good picture of that. I'll take one and post it.
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !

Last edited by Joevacs; 03-24-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2009

Here are a couple of new pictures. One of where the forestay attaches to the deck, and one of the mast, where the forestay, jib halyard, and shrouds attach. ( My forestay is not attached to the mast in this picture, as I have just shortened it, and haven't been sailing since )
Flickr Photo Download: IMGP1924
Flickr Photo Download: IMGP1928

Venture 17 restoration - a set on Flickr
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 03-24-2009

Hey Scott,
How are you doing on your resto ?
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 03-24-2009

ScottFernandes is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for these pics Joe! I couldn't see them via the links in your original post; just the finished product. that's a lot of nice work.

it's going well here... a lot of sanding/grinding right now. the goal is to make her as stout as possible, so it's more mods than repairs. i'll be doing a lot of sailing on lake dillon and lake granby, which are at about 9k and 8k feet respectively. winds blow hard enough to force boats off the water daily, and I want to be able to hang as long as possible w/o breaking anything.

i'll post some update pics this weekend... didn't get the camera out last time.
V17 #1267

Last edited by ScottFernandes; 03-24-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
Here are a couple of new pictures. One of where the forestay attaches to the deck, and one of the mast, where the forestay, jib halyard, and shrouds attach. ( My forestay is not attached to the mast in this picture, as I have just shortened it, and haven't been sailing since )
Flickr Photo Download: IMGP1924
Flickr Photo Download: IMGP1928

Venture 17 restoration - a set on Flickr
So the bolt is as simple as a hex bolt from Home Depot? Is that a regular nut or a lock nut? And the forestay loop just goes straight on there, or is there a block there too?

After I went back and looked at ALL your pics (which I missed somehow, I saw most of them) I have lots of questions... hehehe

What is the steel I beam under the bow?
On your new wood sitting area in the front of the cabin, you put fiberglass off the walls straight onto the wood? Why?

Okay, you used acrylic enamel house paint for the white, what about the black bottom paint and trim?

What color did you stain the wood pieces, and where would I find teak replacement wood?

On the keel, you installed a copper pipe? Did you J.B. Weld that?

and the toe strikers, are those just screwed into the deck? Do all the screw holes get sealed somehow?

Final question (for now) do you or anyone have a bilge pump installed? Any thoughts on the matter?

I love the research aspect of the project, that way hopefully I have thought through most of the "big" things first, and then ask smaller questions as those things pop up.
Thanks for you input!
Old 03-24-2009

Also, I have parts left over from my first crashed H16. What length and diameter is the forestay? I started thinking I may have enough spare parts from the Hobie to refit what I'm missing here...
Old 03-24-2009

Quote:
So the bolt is as simple as a hex bolt from Home Depot? Is that a regular nut or a lock nut? And the forestay loop just goes straight on there, or is there a block there too? Yes, but get stainless, and yes, a lock nut with nylon bushing. No block

After I went back and looked at ALL your pics (which I missed somehow, I saw most of them) I have lots of questions... hehehe

What is the steel I beam under the bow? I'm not sure what you mean.
On your new wood sitting area in the front of the cabin, you put fiberglass off the walls straight onto the wood? Why? That's how I attached the new floors to the hull.

Okay, you used acrylic enamel house paint for the white, what about the black bottom paint and trim? That's blue, Blue Water bottom paint.

What color did you stain the wood pieces, and where would I find teak replacement wood? Admiral Teak Varnish, Jamestown Distributors

On the keel, you installed a copper pipe? Did you J.B. Weld that? That is a Bronze bushing, for smoother operation, and longer wear. I used PC-7 epoxy

and the toe strikers, are those just screwed into the deck? Do all the screw holes get sealed somehow? Stainless screws with locking nuts underneath. 3M - 5200 sealed

Final question (for now) do you or anyone have a bilge pump installed? Any thoughts on the matter? I haven't ever needed a bilge pump. If I had leaks I would fix them.

I love the research aspect of the project, that way hopefully I have thought through most of the "big" things first, and then ask smaller questions as those things pop up.
Thanks for you input!
I answered in your quote.
Hope that is clear
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 03-24-2009

Quote:
Also, I have parts left over from my first crashed H16. What length and diameter is the forestay? I started thinking I may have enough spare parts from the Hobie to refit what I'm missing here...
Mine is 8th inch stainless
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !